Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maddog

Quote from: gerry on December 11, 2011, 10:22:17 PM
Quote from: Orior on December 11, 2011, 10:00:49 PM
Quote from: gerry on December 11, 2011, 09:50:03 PM
i fell of twice this year. the first one when i was riding across the beach in rossnowlagh in front of cars and walkers, very embarrising.  the second time was on a steep climb and i was out of the seat  climbing when the back wheel slipped on gravel and i keeled over with me still clipped in.

Did your front wheel sink in the sand? Geez, I wish I had seen that, lol.

yep, i was coming back from a spin and was cycling across the beach with all the gear on when i lost the front wheel while leaving the beach.  there were about 3 cars behind me with 4 waiting to come onto the beach.  there was nothing else for it but to hang my head  and walk on

Did a similar thing years ago down by lough neagh - there was a sort of a shallow pool down round Lurgan way that i thought i could ride through. Bottom of it was covered in slime of course and the front wheel just went out from under me as soon as it hit it. So you shouldnt feel too bad Gerry. I was only 12 mind.

Karl Kennedy

Quote from: maddog on December 11, 2011, 10:15:19 PM
Quote from: Karl Kennedy on December 11, 2011, 10:11:08 PM
Quote from: maddog on December 11, 2011, 10:07:08 PM
Quote from: Karl Kennedy on December 11, 2011, 08:16:05 PM
Seeking a bit of advice on the cycling front here guys.
I currently have a mountain bike and have it to go on any forest, dirt or mountain tracks. I have recently decided to take it out on the road and would at least do at least 10-20 miles at most at the weekend.
I was advised probably better getting a set of hybrid tyres on the bike as they are better on the road. Is this true?

Now would I be better just getting an extra set of wheels with hybrid tyres and change them myself and at least if I wanted to go on any forest, dirt or mountain tracks I could just change them over.

Also where is the best place to get these wheels?
Where is the best place to get a set of mud flaps fitted and a drink holder fitted and more importantly at what cost?

Cheapest option is to buy another set of wheels. Id say wheels tyres inner tubes and freewheel you could do for under a ton. I did the same thing for my mountain bike as the original tyres were like something off a landrover, but you can go as low as 1" slicks on the same rim section. You can mud guards cheap enough and a bottle cage you can get for a fiver.
Cheers Maddog. Did you mean you bought an extra set of wheels? Yeah the mountain bike tyres are rough tyres alright but I guess thats the purpose of them.

yeah bought another set through ebay and just got a freewheel at local bike shop. What sort of grade of mountain bike is it ? What id be getting at is you wouldnt want to spend a lot if the bike itself wasnt that big a purchase in the first place.
Its a Raleigh Mountain Bike worth bout £200. but I have had it a number of years now

maddog

Quote from: bennydorano on December 11, 2011, 07:20:42 PM
Hit the deck today for the first time, that would put manners on you :-[ Not my fault - 2 fellas in front came down and I went into the back of one of them, sommersaulting hoogerland style over them, coming out of the clipless pedals mid air and landing on my side, wasn't too bad at the time (felt a bit sick for a couple of minutes) hip & elbow getting worse as the hours pass.  An oul doll was right behind us in her car, the look on her face was priceless.

What caused the 2 in front to come down ?

gerry

QuoteI was only 12 mind.

i was only 40
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

bennydorano

Quote from: maddog on December 11, 2011, 10:29:54 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on December 11, 2011, 07:20:42 PM
Hit the deck today for the first time, that would put manners on you :-[ Not my fault - 2 fellas in front came down and I went into the back of one of them, sommersaulting hoogerland style over them, coming out of the clipless pedals mid air and landing on my side, wasn't too bad at the time (felt a bit sick for a couple of minutes) hip & elbow getting worse as the hours pass.  An oul doll was right behind us in her car, the look on her face was priceless.

What caused the 2 in front to come down ?
One slowed down & turned round to talk

screenexile

Hey people any help would be greatly appreciated.

Looking for a bike roughly £100-£150 would be good. Something like the bikes you would get for cycling around Belgium/Holland nothing serious so 2nd hand would do. Does anyone know of anywhere decent in the North Of Ireland to get a decent 2nd hand bike. Something like the picture below would be 100% . . .

I hope someone can help. Thanks guys!

Mayo4Sam

I took an awful tumble in gaelforce two years ago, on the steepest section shouted at the lad in front of me that I was coming through, he pulled right out in front of me on a bend, had to brake on a wet road at 50kph, it was either over a wall and a big drop or hit the deck and slide down the road, destroyed my whole left side, your man kept going, he got some earful from me when I caught him, the bollix
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Maguire01

When are the first cycling events/sportives of 2012 in the north of the country? Need to get back in the saddle, but it's nice to have something specific to work towards.

bennydorano

Screen, check out the bikes on Gumtree, some good bargains about if u search through the pages & are prepared to drive to pick it up.

Maguire01

I'm looking for some recommendations on two things:
1 - Saddle Bag for repair kit, phone, keys, energy bars etc
2 - A good pair of cycling shorts

Any help appreciated!

cavan4sam

What sort of bike are you riding Maguire?

Have a look here you should find what you are looking for in a saddle bag
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/SearchResults.aspx?Search=saddle+bag

Same goes for shorts although you should try some on in a shop to het an idea of size.
http://www.startfitness.co.uk/prodtype.asp?strParents=4262,4270&CAT_ID=4413&numRecordPosition=1

Eamonnca1

Quote from: bennydorano on December 12, 2011, 08:00:31 AM
[One slowed down & turned round to talk

I've been to a few racing clinics where they teach you how to recover from touching the wheel in front. Your instinct is to steer away from his wheel (which is where you go down), but you have to overcome that and steer into it so your bike leans against his, then you push off his wheel. They get you to do drills on a grass surface where you ride along behind him with your wheel scraping against his.  Feels like a bit of an odd sensation at first but you soon get used to it.

maddog

Quote from: Maguire01 on January 16, 2012, 05:49:06 PM

Any help appreciated!

As cavanforsam says it depends on the bike. I find ebay great for that sort of thing, usually half what you pay in a cycle shop

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OXFORD-BICYCLE-CYCLE-WEDGE-SEAT-BAG-1LTR-QUICK-RELEASE-/270632250216?pt=UK_Sports_Leisure_Cycling_Bags_Panniers_SR&hash=item3f02f06b68

or http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Cycling-Bicycle-Bike-Saddle-Outdoor-Pouch-Seat-Bag-/170685965246?pt=UK_Sports_Leisure_Cycling_Bags_Panniers_SR&hash=item27bdad23be

I have one of these little yokes for the front of a hybrid bike, grand for wallet phone and a few tools etc

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mountain-Bike-Cycling-Bicycle-Frame-Pannier-Tube-Bag-/180779050296?pt=UK_Sports_Leisure_Cycling_Bags_Panniers_SR&hash=item2a17456538

The guys are sound for cheap cycling gear, have had shorts of them and they are fine.

http://www.tenn-outdoors.co.uk/cycle-clothing/mens/bib-shorts/

bennydorano

Quote from: Maguire01 on January 16, 2012, 05:49:06 PM

Any help appreciated!

Keep an eye out for SPEG branded gear, straight of their website it is pricey, but I got a fantastic pair of thermal leggings for about £22 of cycle store website.  It's quality gear.

bennydorano

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 16, 2012, 06:39:59 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on December 12, 2011, 08:00:31 AM
[One slowed down & turned round to talk

I've been to a few racing clinics where they teach you how to recover from touching the wheel in front. Your instinct is to steer away from his wheel (which is where you go down), but you have to overcome that and steer into it so your bike leans against his, then you push off his wheel. They get you to do drills on a grass surface where you ride along behind him with your wheel scraping against his.  Feels like a bit of an odd sensation at first but you soon get used to it.

Funny, I've remained upright on at least 2 ocassions by doing exactly that, it was luck/momentum more than a learned technique though.