The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: heganboy on March 20, 2018, 05:35:48 AM
Quote from: Puckoon on March 19, 2018, 10:04:09 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on March 19, 2018, 02:01:51 PM
For those getting anxious for Augusta - every final round broadcast since 1968 have been uploaded in full to the official Youtube Page

Something to pass away the days until this years version starts in a few weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSZxaHGo1OEs06vQumIooug

Stuck on Phil 2010 today. Tiger's whiny little interview with Peter Kostis, typical of him back then,

Great win for Phil and with the backdrop of what was going on with his wife back then - one of my favourite wins. Not the best final round by any stretch.

What you hear was going on, and what was actually going on, may be somewhat (actually massively) different...

With Phil's wife? I presume Puck is talking about the breast cancer?

Frank_The_Tank

Big shaneo lowry going through a poor enough spell atm.  moving stateside hasn't really worked out that well so far in terms of finishes - he will be disappointed to not be currently in the field for the masters and will need a real sharp upturn in form to make the plane for the Ryder Cup team.  Hope he can pick up some form soon - would love to see him get a major and be on the Ryder Cup team
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

lurganblue

1st time ive sat down to watch the golf this year was to see McIlroy put in that back 9 performance. Great viewing.  He looked confident in putting for the 1st time in ages.

laoislad

Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on March 20, 2018, 10:38:20 AM
Big shaneo lowry going through a poor enough spell atm.  moving stateside hasn't really worked out that well so far in terms of finishes - he will be disappointed to not be currently in the field for the masters and will need a real sharp upturn in form to make the plane for the Ryder Cup team.  Hope he can pick up some form soon - would love to see him get a major and be on the Ryder Cup team
Would be nice to have someone Irish on the Ryder Cup team alright.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Puckoon

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 20, 2018, 10:00:34 AM
Quote from: heganboy on March 20, 2018, 05:35:48 AM
Quote from: Puckoon on March 19, 2018, 10:04:09 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on March 19, 2018, 02:01:51 PM
For those getting anxious for Augusta - every final round broadcast since 1968 have been uploaded in full to the official Youtube Page

Something to pass away the days until this years version starts in a few weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSZxaHGo1OEs06vQumIooug

Stuck on Phil 2010 today. Tiger's whiny little interview with Peter Kostis, typical of him back then,

Great win for Phil and with the backdrop of what was going on with his wife back then - one of my favourite wins. Not the best final round by any stretch.

What you hear was going on, and what was actually going on, may be somewhat (actually massively) different...

With Phil's wife? I presume Puck is talking about the breast cancer?

Correct.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: laoislad on March 20, 2018, 11:42:42 AM
Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on March 20, 2018, 10:38:20 AM
Would be nice to have someone Irish on the Ryder Cup team alright.

Do you ever stop sounding like an dickhead?

Therealdonald

See the problem with Rory is that he portrays this image of being 1 of the lads, up for a laugh. Then we see now he's looking to limit the alcohol sales at golf events because someone kept shouting his wife's name...he's a complete paradox of an individual who doesn't know what he wants to be. He wants to be Tiger and have the same aura, but he neither has the stature or ability to do so. He needs to cop himself on. Great golfer and all he is but he needs to define who he wants to be instead of this middle of the road tosspot.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Therealdonald on March 20, 2018, 04:43:18 PM
See the problem with Rory is that he portrays this image of being 1 of the lads, up for a laugh. Then we see now he's looking to limit the alcohol sales at golf events because someone kept shouting his wife's name...he's a complete paradox of an individual who doesn't know what he wants to be. He wants to be Tiger and have the same aura, but he neither has the stature or ability to do so. He needs to cop himself on. Great golfer and all he is but he needs to define who he wants to be instead of this middle of the road tosspot.

I think he just wants to be a great golfer... keeping people happy who are tosspots doesnt really need to be done i'd assume, the media stuff is about trying to say the right things...

Being Tiger on the golf course is everyones dream (if they play golf) but off the course i'd say Tiger can be a twat
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

yellowcard

Don't think he ever give off this image, or certainly not that I'm aware of. He spends most of his time in the gym working out and it seems that this has become his real obsession.

He is more about brand McIlroy and pleasing sponsors and the like but he is not unique within the golf world in that respect. Swithching to Nike clubs for the extra loot was a prime example. These golfers know where their bread is burttered and the way the likes of McIlroy and Harrington have embraced Trump (or at best refused to criticise him) shows that their overriding concern will always be their earning potential.     

Puckoon

You see, that's just it. He doesn't. For any "fan" he has to win by checking those boxes, he's better off without them.

Great interview with him and Harrington a few weeks back in one of the Irish papers, I tried to post it up here but couldn't get access to it. Anyone else read it?

He's got the same single minded focus that Harrington did when he was winning. He doesn't want to go out with the Irish lads for dinner while they're on the tour, and that's his prerogative. 

Therealdonald

Quote from: Puckoon on March 20, 2018, 05:05:16 PM

You see, that's just it. He doesn't. For any "fan" he has to win by checking those boxes, he's better off without them.

Great interview with him and Harrington a few weeks back in one of the Irish papers, I tried to post it up here but couldn't get access to it. Anyone else read it?

He's got the same single minded focus that Harrington did when he was winning. He doesn't want to go out with the Irish lads for dinner while they're on the tour, and that's his prerogative.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/golf/i-always-have-to-have-the-last-word-rory-mcilroy-and-padraig-harrington-sit-down-with-paul-kimmage-36614694.html

Puckoon

Cheers TRD. Enjoyable read.

Orior

Maybe it's a hangover from his win at the weekend, but this round of golf is exactly the kick up the arse that Rory needs.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Minder

McIlroy out of the WGC Matchplay
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.