Jacob Rees Mogg

Started by Dougal Maguire, July 07, 2017, 07:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on July 07, 2017, 09:48:55 PM
He's actually a good debater. If I were to go up against him I'd like to make sure I had my ducks lined up in a row. And the English would probably love him by and large. Deep down, I think they find a certain comfort in having a ruling class and snooty establishment calling the shots. It's by no accident that the only way Labour got elected in 1997 was by putting a lightweight Tory in charge.

;)

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: LCohen on July 07, 2017, 09:04:32 PM
He is a parody. He knows it and he plays to it. Would never vote Tory but he is harmless. Actually livens up the debate

Not harmless, he has a vote and uses it:

Owen Brannigan

Could easily join the DUP.

Owen Brannigan

He's actually a good debater. If I were to go up against him I'd like to make sure I had my ducks lined up. And the English would probably love him by and large. Deep down, I think they find a certain comfort in having a ruling class and snooty establishment calling the shots. It's by no accident that the only way Labour got elected in 1997 was by putting a lightweight Tory in charge.

He is a good debater but don't be fooled like many are by his very proper pronunciation and his over use of big words. 

Essentially, the English are a serf nation and they fall for the like of Rees-Mogg because of his 'Edwardian' presentation.  He is a ditto for the actor Edward Fox particularly in his portrayal of Edward VIII and it is that throwback to 1950s, post war England that Rees-Mogg draws on.

Remember how Boris Johnson rose of being a media buffoon to being a foreign secretary and almost Tory leader buffoon.  Rees-Mogg is more than capable of doing the same.

Owen Brannigan

Just like many of those who claim to take the holier than thou route in Catholicism, Jacob Rees Mogg's principles soften enough for him to wriggle when he is found to profit from abortion pills.  If his connection is as limited as he states then he would have taken himself out of the situation and not accepted the money.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jacob-rees-mogg-abortion-pills-abortion-rape-conservative-party-conference-tory-leadership-leader-a7976386.html

AZOffaly

He's actually a good debater. If I were to go up against him I'd like to make sure I had my ducks lined up. And the English would probably love him by and large. Deep down, I think they find a certain comfort in having a ruling class and snooty establishment calling the shots. It's by no accident that the only way Labour got elected in 1997 was by putting a lightweight Tory in charge.

I think that's 100% right.

T Fearon

It would be a progressive step if a devout Roman Catholic was to be British PM,not least for the reverberations for unionists here,who would be forced to distance themselves more from Orangeism.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 01, 2017, 02:03:38 PM

I think that's 100% right.

Correct the little Englander Conservative party member always wants the toff to be in charge even if there is no substance behind the clearly annunciated vowels and classical education, Boris Johnson is the other example.  Caught on video reciting Kipling in Myanmar temple, as stated he knows the derogatory poem by heart but cannot relate its content to his context being in a Buddhist holy place - classical education is by rote learning with no empathy or development of emotional intelligence.

Conservatives are doomed to losing power at next election unless they can unearth a leader from the next generation who is part of middle England able to identify with the ordinary people and able to take the fight to the nonsense spouted by idiots in charge of labour such as McDonnell, etc.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on October 01, 2017, 03:23:11 PM
Correct the little Englander Conservative party member always wants the toff to be in charge even if there is no substance behind the clearly annunciated vowels and classical education, Boris Johnson is the other example.  Caught on video reciting Kipling in Myanmar temple, as stated he knows the derogatory poem by heart but cannot relate its content to his context being in a Buddhist holy place - classical education is by rote learning with no empathy or development of emotional intelligence.

Conservatives are doomed to losing power at next election unless they can unearth a leader from the next generation who is part of middle England able to identify with the ordinary people and able to take the fight to the nonsense spouted by idiots in charge of labour such as McDonnell, etc.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Corbyn's such an unimpressive leader he even manages to make Prime Minister's Questions sound boring. There could be a role to play for the Lib Dems yet.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: T Fearon on October 01, 2017, 02:35:40 PM
It would be a progressive step if a devout Roman Catholic was to be British PM,not least for the reverberations for unionists here,who would be forced to distance themselves more from Orangeism.

Only if a Catholic monarch took the throne would the Orangemen be forced to change their views on anything. The PM as the head of government is distinct from the monarchy  in their minds, and the unionists have never liked nor trusted any British government ever since Stormont 1.0 was scrapped.