Boxing Day

Started by Eamonnca1, December 26, 2013, 11:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Well done as looked like you raised quite a bit too.

Barnes seems like good craic to be fair to him. Michael Conlon too.

ziggysego

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 27, 2015, 05:13:38 PM

Yeah, I was surprised how much we raised. Delighted for the charity.  Paddy Barnes was some craic. Part of me was wondered I'd injury him and rule him out for the Olympics. lol
Testing Accessibility

redcard

Quote from: ziggysego on December 26, 2015, 10:32:59 PM
I met Mickey Harte today.  He said "Hello ZIGGY". I guess that means he reads the GAA Board

Has to keep on the right side of the mods  ;)

omaghjoe

Quote from: ziggysego on December 27, 2015, 05:17:45 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on December 27, 2015, 05:13:38 PM

Yeah, I was surprised how much we raised. Delighted for the charity.  Paddy Barnes was some craic. Part of me was wondered I'd injury him and rule him out for the Olympics. lol

Fair play ziggy although TBF Barnes had all the hard work, although listening to him rabbit on could not have been easy

Eamonnca1

Well that wraps Boxing Day up for another year. How did youse spend Boxing Day? I spent Boxing Day putting up shelves and redding up the house with the GF. Went to see Rogue One later, which was the second time. First time we saw it was in an IMAX dome and it was projected onto a planetarium screen, so it was all distorted and banana shaped. Hard to even see what was going on at times. Last night we saw it on a flat screen and it was a lot better. Some film. Probably the best Star Wars film I've seen yet. Good way to round off Boxing Day.

Orior

I spent St Stephen's Day playing golf.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Eamonnca1

How did youse spend Boxing Day this year? We went to the beach, played some arcade games on the Santa Cruz Boardwalk, and saw Darkest Hour at the pictures. Not a bad show. Interesting look at the behind-the-scenes goings on in Westminster at the outbreak of WWII. A lot of stuff I didn't know about, like how much influence Chamberlain still had after Churchill took over.

A thoroughly enjoyable Boxing Day.

Puckoon

Had a nice brunch with the spouse then played golf. Hit my first Hole In One on the 17th at the end of what was a pretty shitty round!

Proceeded to get well toasted in the clubhouse (thank f**k for insurance, bar tab was ridiculous) and went out to dinner with some friends and am currently suffering the tequila sunrise.

Whatever it's called, it's always been my favorite day of the year and yesterday was no exception

Syferus

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 27, 2017, 06:17:32 PM
How did youse spend Boxing Day this year? We went to the beach, played some arcade games on the Santa Cruz Boardwalk, and saw Darkest Hour at the pictures. Not a bad show. Interesting look at the behind-the-scenes goings on in Westminster at the outbreak of WWII. A lot of stuff I didn't know about, like how much influence Chamberlain still had after Churchill took over.

A thoroughly enjoyable Boxing Day.

The glorification of Churchill is one of the most rotten elements of the post-war period. His behaviour towards India during the war was to let famine ravage it while still demanding endless numbers of cannon fodder for his war machine. He kept redirecting Indian food to the homelands despite it being in much more demand on the sub-continent. His attitude towards Ireland wasn't much better.

When the time comes that a truly critical biopic of Churchill is produced I'd be very interested.

AZOffaly

Churchill's role in the Gallipoli fiasco should have ruled him out of being a wartime prime minister, but I suppose it all worked out in the end, probably thanks to the RAF and the Battle of Britain.

Rossfan

It's St Stephen's Day.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Boycey

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Eamonnca1

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 27, 2017, 09:44:38 PM
Churchill's role in the Gallipoli fiasco should have ruled him out of being a wartime prime minister, but I suppose it all worked out in the end, probably thanks to the RAF and the Battle of Britain.

They touched on that in this film actually, his defence was it could have worked if the navy hadn't squandered the element of surprise.

Darkest Hour is a bit glorifying of him but it showed the fact that he wasn't universally popular at the time and was a controversial figure in the establishment. I don't think it shows him to be perfect by any means.