The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: whitey on September 05, 2017, 11:40:00 PM
All kidding aside, if we had an election based on a simple majority, would the progressives on here agree to voters having to present a valid state or national id in order to vote?

I wouldn't have a problem with it now if the ids and necessary documents were made available for free or on the cheap for the poor people who usually are the ones who lack them.

That said, it's all still a solution in search of a problem, despite Trump's ludicrous lies.

(He's not uttered a word either about the Obama admin being confirmed as NOT having bugged Trump Tower. Shocking, I know!  ;D)

stew

Quote from: J70 on September 05, 2017, 11:15:34 PM
Quote from: stew on September 05, 2017, 11:07:06 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 05, 2017, 09:48:25 PM
But sane people are in the majority, as evidenced by the whopping 2 million more who voted for Hillary than Trump.  The idea that you have to give the minority a veto in case the majority gets it wrong is tripe. We're talking about the USA, not Northern Ireland.

This was never set up to be republican friendly, it was devised so that people in rural areas would feel like their vote counted even if a bunch of morons in LA and New York voted a different way than they did, their vote mattered and it is a brilliant piece of legislation no matter who benefits politically.

Its just that the votes of the morons in rural areas carry more weight under this system.

Under a popular vote, everyone's vote would count equally, no matter what their political leaning.

Quit bitching about a tried and tested piece of leglislature that has existed for ages, rather, back Hillary in 2020 and bitch about Bernie Saunders scuppering her candicacy, well him and the macedonians. Twat       
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

AZOffaly

"The morons in rural areas"? Poorly worded J70.

I presume you mean 'morons in rural areas carry more weight than morons in urban areas'? I know you didn't mean people in rural areas are morons.

J70

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 06, 2017, 10:45:43 AM

I presume you mean 'morons in rural areas carry more weight than morons in urban areas'? I know you didn't mean people in rural areas are morons.

Read the posts.

I was responding to stew's use of the word "morons" to describe people on LA and New York (I live in NYC myself).

J70

Quote from: stew on September 06, 2017, 02:52:31 AM
Quote from: J70 on September 05, 2017, 11:15:34 PM
Quote from: stew on September 05, 2017, 11:07:06 PM
But sane people are in the majority, as evidenced by the whopping 2 million more who voted for Hillary than Trump.  The idea that you have to give the minority a veto in case the majority gets it wrong is tripe. We're talking about the USA, not Northern Ireland.

This was never set up to be republican friendly, it was devised so that people in rural areas would feel like their vote counted even if a bunch of morons in LA and New York voted a different way than they did, their vote mattered and it is a brilliant piece of legislation no matter who benefits politically.

Its just that the votes of the morons in rural areas carry more weight under this system.

Under a popular vote, everyone's vote would count equally, no matter what their political leaning.

Quit bitching about a tried and tested piece of leglislature that has existed for ages, rather, back Hillary in 2020 and bitch about Bernie Saunders scuppering her candicacy, well him and the macedonians. Twat     

Who's bitching?

I'm discussing the merits of an alternative.

And longevity and tradition are not, by themselves, adequate defenses of any process or system.

AZOffaly

Quote from: J70 on September 06, 2017, 10:57:16 AM

Read the posts.

I was responding to stew's use of the word "morons" to describe people on LA and New York (I live in NYC myself).

Ah, fair enough.

J70

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 06, 2017, 10:59:53 AM
Quote from: J70 on September 06, 2017, 10:57:16 AM

Read the posts.

Ah, fair enough.

I grew up in rural Donegal (even in Donegal I was considered "from the bog"!).

My in-laws, fine people, are from and mostly live in the rural western US.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: whitey on September 05, 2017, 11:15:16 PM

So following that logic,  the unionist majority in the North should be allowed to lord it over their Nationalist brethren given their numerical superiority?

Did you read my last sentence all the way to the end?

Eamonnca1

All kidding aside, if we had an election based on a simple majority, would the progressives on here agree to voters having to present a valid state or national id in order to vote?

Ah, the old "voter fraud is a thing" trope.

Declan

God Bless America - unless you're black

Eamonnca1

whitey

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 06, 2017, 05:03:43 PM

Ah, the old "voter fraud is a thing" trope.

I take it that's a no

Eamonnca1

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

whitey

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 06, 2017, 05:03:02 PM
Quote from: whitey on September 05, 2017, 11:15:16 PM

So following that logic,  the unionist majority in the North should be allowed to lord it over their Nationalist brethren given their numerical superiority?

Did you read my last sentence all the way to the end?

Yes.....it seems like that is what you are advocating for