Thread for Tony Fearon to to pontificate about Catholicism

Started by heganboy, September 12, 2017, 01:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

I believe in God instinctively,not solely due to fear of a lost eternity,but positively as the supreme creator of mankind,and therefore wish to avail of his promise of eternal life.Nothing negative in this at all

Esmarelda

Quote from: T Fearon on September 20, 2017, 12:33:25 PM
I believe in God instinctively,not solely due to fear of a lost eternity,but positively as the supreme creator of mankind,and therefore wish to avail of his promise of eternal life.Nothing negative in this at all
It's a pity that your perception isn't the one that matters. And "the supreme creator of mankind"? What division of Christianity is it you've signed up to again?

playwiththewind1st

If you're so fond of proselytising, why did you not sign up professionally for the Rome Paedo Brigade years ago & make a career out of it? Or was the prospect of all the squealing you would have to do after lights out in the dorms of Maynooth such an alarming prospect that you didn't want to?

J70

Quote from: T Fearon on September 20, 2017, 12:04:55 PM
I believe if I commit murder I will be jailed for a substantial period.It is a deterrent.Similarly I believe in God's Laws (Commandments) because I believe he exists in the first place,and by abiding by his laws I will have a good eternity.But this will be won primarily due to my belief in him in the first place.

Surely the taking of a life and its knock-on effects is the reason you don't commit murder? It is for me. The penalty doesn't enter into it. If I was guaranteed to NEVER be held responsible or suffer legal consequences, I still wouldn't do it.

Similarly, I don't need some mythical eternal judge and outcome (I.e. deterrent) to coerce me into being a decent human being in my everyday life. I would imagine you're the same, whether you realize it or not.

T Fearon

Yes I have a moral code.But the fear of punishment is undoubtedly a factor that restrains all of us.Great story in the Irish News today about two ladies,a former BBC Political correspondent and a Barrister,who gave up lucrative secular careers and all the trappings to become nuns.Are these two highly intelligent ladies to be viewed as cranks,fear driven,deluded,daft? I think not.Could it be a seed,as a result of a life experience,divine intervention,finally grew and led them to their true vocation which seems to have brought a contentment neither had previously known?

Esmarelda

Quote from: T Fearon on September 20, 2017, 02:20:38 PM
Yes I have a moral code.But the fear of punishment is undoubtedly a factor that restrains all of us.Great story in the Irish News today about two ladies,a former BBC Political correspondent and a Barrister,who gave up lucrative secular careers and all the trappings to become nuns.Are these two highly intelligent ladies to be viewed as cranks,fear driven,deluded,daft? I think not.Could it be a seed,as a result of a life experience,divine intervention,finally grew and led them to their true vocation which seems to have brought a contentment neither had previously known?
It could be either. I haven't heard their explanation for it. If they said they were doing it as they weren't brave enough to chance not doing it then I'd say it's the former, like yourself.

illdecide

I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

T Fearon

I don't.It is a legitimate transaction.An investment in the hope of making a return and profit,like buying shares for example.

playwiththewind1st

And given your biblical leanings, do you pay the tithe on your winnings, or do you just pocket the heap?

michaelg

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on September 20, 2017, 06:24:11 PM
And given your biblical leanings, do you pay the tithe on your winnings, or do you just pocket the heap?
As that's probably not a deal breaker for heaven or hell, I'd imagine not. Yet another example of "believers" cherry picking what to believe.

punt kick

There is about 6 billion people on Earth - about 2 Billion Christians - about 2 of them without sin, is the other 4 billion dammed simply because their parents weren't Christians?

playwiththewind1st

The "bliss of heaven" cannot possibly be enjoyed for eternity, if there's the remotest chance of non-believers & similar riff raff getting admitted.

T Fearon

Non believers will not be admitted.The Bible makes that abundantly clear