Paul Galvin in the Sunday Times

Started by bigpackiechestout, July 18, 2016, 10:05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigpackiechestout

Anyone have a copy of Galvin's article in the Sunday Times yday? Seems to be behind a paywall and thought I'd check here before stumping up the membership fee

Tony Baloney

Will put it on later if you haven't already stumped up for it. He had a wee dig at Tohill but apart from that nothing notable in it.

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 18, 2016, 01:31:26 PM
Will put it on later if you haven't already stumped up for it. He had a wee dig at Tohill but apart from that nothing notable in it.

Yeah would appreciate if you stuck it up, read the first paragraph and thought it might be interesting

twohands!!!

Quote from: bigpackiechestout on July 18, 2016, 04:26:41 PM

Yeah would appreciate if you stuck it up, read the first paragraph and thought it might be interesting

I skimmed it when out but there wasn't all that much in it - he basically said that he challenged Tohill about Tohill criticising him on the TSG at some stage and Galvin had the idea that the driving force for the criticism was coming from elsewhere in RTE as opposed to Tohill himself. Forgettable stuff.

screenexile

HOW DARE HE!!!!

IolarCoisCuain

Anytime I've read Galvin's column it's been weak. He's no addition I'm afraid.

Tony Baloney

http://flic.kr/p/KdzBub

Apologies for the old school technology! Had to fish it out of the recycling bin and ripped it too and then had to create a Flickr account. I'll take no complaints!

From the Bunker

Another one of the Kerry Media Mafia joins the fold. How many more of them can there be?

Minder

This weekend's game is the biggest in Tyrone's recent history. I'd go so far as to say it's the biggest game they've had since the 2008 All-Ireland final. It's imperative for their self-esteem and development as a new team that they win. Winning puts them right back on the pedestal where they feel they belong; from there they are much more serious All-Ireland contenders than any of us realise. Losing will see them kicking stones along the back alleys of the qualifiers where they have become a permanent fixture for six years.

What I admire about Tyrone is that they see themselves as winners even when they're losing. It's not so much that they fight to win but they fight against losing. Mickey Harte is a man I respected from the word go. I first met him in Hong Kong on an All Stars tour in 2004. I had just broken through to win an All-Ireland with Kerry and I was full of fun. The most striking aspect of that tour was how focused the Tyrone boys were. They milled all round them in the exhibition game we played. I started in the stands with Ryan McMenamin. A woman from Derry, exiled in Hong Kong, came down to chat to us just before throw in.

She immediately asked for the whereabouts of one of Derry's favourite sons at the time who was supposed to be on the tour. I told her he didn't make it and of course she asked why. Quick as a flash Ricey nudged me and says "ach he had a wee bitta bother at home hi......" I picked up the slack. "Ya he's in prison...." The woman's jaw dropped. Naturally enough she asked what for and we fumbled around for an answer. "Ach look it I wouldn't be repeatin' that there now" goes Ricey. The woman went back to her seat in shock and next thing we hear her telling everyone around her the story. "He's in prison!" We were shaking with laughter. I went and told her we were only joking before things got out of hand.

I asked Mickey Harte on the tour what he looked for in players. His answer was short and stayed with me. Something different. There was certainly something different about Tyrone against Cavan. They hit the ground in patches with a pace I haven't seen from them in a while. If anything has characterised them in recent years it's a lack of pace. Their strength and conditioning work looks to have improved and if it continues to pay dividends this makes them even more dangerous. The transformative effects, both physically and mentally, of getting this right are huge.

I read Harte's comments on The Sunday Game's take on Aidan O Shea's dive compared to the grilling Tiernan McCann got last year for the same offence. Certainly the reaction to McCann's dive was more severe and The Sunday Game plays a part in fanning these flames of controversy surrounding these incidents. Or not.

And therein lies the crux of Harte's observation. It's hard to gauge how the show will decide to handle an incident from one game to the next. I have a certain sympathy for what Harte is saying, having been at the centre of a few controversies myself. The bigger question is what criteria is employed when producers and editors sit with pundits before a show airs to talk about what players or incidents will be discussed on the show and by whom?

I had a funny experience with Anthony Tohill when he was a pundit on the show. He offered an opinion on an incident I was involved in against Cork in 2010, as he was entitled to do. I was in the wrong at the time and I held my hands up. What struck me was how at odds Tohill's opinion was compared to all my dealings with him over the years. I had played for him with Ireland, we got on well. I spent time with him socially, we got on well. He always spoke well of me, and I of him. I was a little surprised with the way he came for me after all that.

When I spoke to him next in 2011 (about the International Rules team) he did a lot of spluttering and back-firing about being "a players' man" and supporting his players at all times, and without explicitly saying so, he gave me the impression he was doing what he was told on the show. I could be wrong but that was my feeling.

With that in mind, I feel Harte raised an important point during the week when he compared how two similar incidents were dealt with in vastly different ways by the same pundit. I admire him for saying so openly. I have found in the past it can be counter-productive to speak your mind like that. Tyrone will have to show all their manager's conviction and belief to beat Donegal. Six consecutive Ulster final appearances is an achievement it itself and they've been a top team for nearly five years now. There might just be more mission in Tyrone for this one. A win can reinforce their self-esteem and kick-start a new era of success for them. For this reason I think they will win.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

moysider

The Paul Galvin articles so far have been mostly about Paul Galvin. No surprise there and nobody forces me to read them either.

The man obviously has a massive ego as well as some interesting yarns to tell ( the thing with himself and Ricey and the woman is embarrassing shite though imo. Juvenile stuff and had no business being in this article).

The O Sé pundits seem to be better at distancing themselves from their own proud history as well as telling a good ol' story. The O Sé's come across as being very interested in the game but Galvin seems to mostly interested in himself.

blewuporstuffed

I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

screenexile

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on July 21, 2016, 02:54:18 PM
Ewan McKenna not happy lads   ;D
https://twitter.com/EwanMacKenna/status/755373877488939008

As if he doesn't troll around here looking for inspiration from time to time!!! Should we put a © at the end of each of our posts to make sure he doesn't use any of our material?

Anyway it was from last Sunday's paper and it was posted late Monday night. I'm sure he still got paid for it as well!!

rosnarun

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on July 21, 2016, 02:54:18 PM
Ewan McKenna not happy lads   ;D
https://twitter.com/EwanMacKenna/status/755373877488939008
hes right of course . but does he rerally expect people to pay subscrpition to every paper or Journal the read on the internet ,
Question i would ask him does he personally pay for every article  or snippet he reads or does he get it all free from whatever paper he currently write for , even freelance?
Like music before it Journalist and papers have to except the old days are gone and a new way of paying for news is need .
unfortunately  paywall and Clickbait(at the expense of stories in the indo site) seems to be there best ideas so far
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

moysider

Have to reconsider my earlier evaluation of Paul Galvin's column.

He absolutely nailed last Sunday's semi final imo.