Value for money ? MLAs awarded 11% pay rise

Started by Minder, March 14, 2012, 08:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-17366868

An independent panel has decided that assembly members pay should rise by almost £5,000 from April 2013.
The 11% increase to £48,000 will be financed by a cut in office costs.
An MLA's basic pay is currently £43,101. MLAs who are committee chairs get another £11,331, while deputy chairs get an extra £5,667.
Junior ministers get £19,609 on top of the basic while ministers get £37,801. The first and deputy first ministers are entitled to £114,535 each.
The Independent Financial Review Panel published its report on MLAs salaries and expenses on Wednesday.
The pay issue has been so controversial the assembly agreed an independent panel should decide wages.
In recent years, assembly member salaries have not risen in line with those paid in the Scottish parliament and Welsh assembly.
Its key decision was that basic pay should rise to £48,000.
To mitigate the cost to the public purse, the panel said that office cost expenses which are higher than Scotland, should be cut by 3% per year by 2014.
Sinn Fein MLA Barry McElduff said his party, throughout the consultation period, had maintained there should be no increase to the salary arrangements for MLAs.
"We believe it would be hypocritical for MLAs to be contemplating an increase in the current economic climate when everyone else is expected to cope with the effects of the recession," he said.
"It is our view that the current remuneration is adequate."
However, both Sinn Fein and the DUP questioned the reduction in the office costs allowances and the knock-on effect that would have on constituency services.
Mr McElduff said Sinn Fein would look at how they could "ensure that constituency services are maintained at the current level".
In a statement, the DUP said it fully supported an independent body setting salaries and allowances.
"MLAs should have no role in the setting of their terms and conditions," it said.
"However, the proposition that MLAs should have a salary increase funded at the expense of their constituency service is totally unacceptable.
"The DUP provides the largest number of advice centres and we want to maintain this vital frontline service. DUP members' priority will be to maintain their constituency service rather than benefiting themselves."
SDLP leader Alasdair McDonnell said his party did not support an 11% pay increase.
"It would be plain wrong for MLAs to accept a pay increase at a time when people in our communities are suffering and dole queues are lengthening," he added.
Cost of politics
MLAs will also pay an extra 1% a year in pension contributions.
Official figures currently suggest the average full time wage in Northern Ireland is £23,882.
The average full time wage in the public sector is £29,011 and the average full time wage in the best paid group, the professional occupations, is £36,629.
Panel chair, Pat McCartan, said the "assembly should be applauded for having the courage to place these decisions in the hands of an independent panel totally free of political influence".
As well as a cut in general office costs, the panel also ruled that MLAs who are also councillors will have 100% of their basic councillor allowance progressively deducted from their MLA salary by 1 April, 2013.
The eight MLAs who are also MPs will have their Assembly Office Costs Expenses progressively reduced from £37,928 per year to £8,655 per year by 1 April, 2014.
The report said that despite the pay rise, the package in its entirety would save £3.16m over the remaining three years of the assembly mandate.
"This represents a significant real cut in the cost of politics," it said.
Also, in future, salaries and expenses must be paid into accounts in their own names and the employment of family members has been limited to not more than one by the end of the mandate.
The panel, comprised of Mr McCartan, Dr Henrietta Campbell and Alan McQuillan began work in July 2011.
*Subject to salary protection for existing office holders - see IFRP Report page 38.
Share this

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

playwiththewind1st

Panel chair, Pat McCartan, said the "assembly should be applauded for having the courage to place these decisions in the hands of an independent panel totally free of political influence".

Aye - too right. Then, when the bastards get their snouts further into the trough, it will be Pat taking the flak for them.

It's amazing, when every other public servant is effectively taking a massive hit, these shits are going to be coining it all the way to the bank.

Dougal Maguire

So the salary increase for MLAs will be financed by reducing the service to the public through their constituency offices. Hard to see the logic there. Who is Pat McCartan anyway?
Careful now

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on March 14, 2012, 10:07:02 PM
So the salary increase for MLAs will be financed by reducing the service to the public through their constituency offices. Hard to see the logic there. Who is Pat McCartan anyway?
Chairman of the Belfast Health and Social Care Trust. Hat tip to google :)

ziggysego

Expenses is being cut though, by about £6000 if my member serves me correctly.
Testing Accessibility

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ziggysego on March 15, 2012, 12:01:25 AM

Would that be your MLA Zig?  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ziggysego on March 15, 2012, 12:01:25 AM
:D Your member?!  :o

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Maguire01

I have no real problem with the MLAs being paid £48k. The worst thing is listening to all of this sensationalist populist crap. Every man and his dog is on gurning to Nolan, the 'people's champion', himself paid multiples of an MLA's salary from the public purse. This is like the Presidential debate. McGuinness would work for the average industrial wage. Next thing, O'Murchú would do the job for nothing. It's populist tabloid-level arguments. Your wage should reflect your role.

Many professionals can expect to earn £48k by the time they're in their mid-40s. They'll do a 40 hour week. They won't be under constant scrutiny. And many will probably have better job security. I think it's a tough enough job for that money (if you're doing it well).

The 11% uplift seems excessive, but how long has it been since it was last uplifted? Also, if you read the full report you can see that it has been benchmarked and they're earning significantly less than their counterparts in Scotland and Wales.

Another small point - they'll probably get about half of the £4,899 in their pockets once they pay income tax (at 40%) and National Insurance.

The way to save the money is to cut the number of MLAs. Bring it down to 80 (or lower).

Minder

I see an £8m fine for the taxpayer is on its way because of Stormont inaction/incompetence, it's not as if anyone will have to resign or lose their jobs though, it's only a bit of craic.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Minder on March 15, 2012, 10:56:50 PM
I see an £8m fine for the taxpayer is on its way because of Stormont inaction/incompetence, it's not as if anyone will have to resign or lose their jobs though, it's only a bit of craic.
It's always only a bit of craic. I think to keep the mussel beds they had to limit fishing in the area so they were always gonna get it in the neck.

Maguire01

Some interesting points on this and the value of constituency offices:
http://sluggerotoole.com/2012/03/16/will-the-curb-on-mla-expenses-spell-the-end-of-constituency-offices/

playwiththewind1st

He was a lecturer at UU & then he was Chair of Labour Relations Agency for a spell. One of these quango wallahs, that goes from one wee [well-paid] job to another. Probably another thing that needs to get looked at.