'THE DEFAULT REFERENDUM'

Started by lawnseed, April 02, 2011, 04:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lawnseed

Quote from: Hardy on April 10, 2011, 05:57:42 PM
It'll be interesting to see what the court makes of the proposition that the population of a state is de facto guarantor for the private debts of corporations registered in that state.
excellent point hardy. eg would the people of nothern ireland  be liable for the debts accrued by the likes of delorean motors maybe thats a bad example but you can see where i'm coming from..

iceland wont take any hurt because they are practically denmark the danes will continue to trade with them as will norway nothing stopping them from devaluing also
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Evil Genius

Quote from: lawnseed on April 04, 2011, 10:25:02 PMwhats money got to do with it
Everything.

Quote from: lawnseed on April 04, 2011, 10:25:02 PMeither we run the country or we dont.
You don't.

(Though for clarification, when I say "you", I mean the people who actually live in the country)

Quote from: lawnseed on April 04, 2011, 10:25:02 PMif we dont run the place whats the point in having elections why are we paying these monkies..?
Just about the only point of the recent election was so that the monkeys would continue to get paid - it was the monkeys who called it, after all.

A better question might be why donkeys were permitted to vote in the election.

Quote from: lawnseed on April 04, 2011, 10:25:02 PMif we tell europe to shove it what are they gonna do evict us?
Well you've got one thing right, at least.

Anyhow, if you think 800 years of Bruddish Oppresshun was bad, believe me, you don't want to p i s s off the Germans...  :o
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: Hardy on April 10, 2011, 05:57:42 PMIt'll be interesting to see what the court makes of the proposition that the population of a state is de facto guarantor for the private debts of corporations registered in that state.
I may be wrong, but afaik, the UK/Dutch case is based on the fact that Iceland nationalised Landsbanki in 2008 and guaranteed the deposits of Icelandic investors, but not those in Britain and Netherlands:
http://www.fme.is/?PageID=581&NewsID=331

All three countries are Members of EFTA; I imagine that EFTA Rules do not permit such discrimination, hence the pending case before the EFTA Surveillance Authority.
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

muppet

Quote from: Evil Genius on April 12, 2011, 12:44:07 AM
Quote from: Hardy on April 10, 2011, 05:57:42 PMIt'll be interesting to see what the court makes of the proposition that the population of a state is de facto guarantor for the private debts of corporations registered in that state.
I may be wrong, but afaik, the UK/Dutch case is based on the fact that Iceland nationalised Landsbanki in 2008 and guaranteed the deposits of Icelandic investors, but not those in Britain and Netherlands:

All three countries are Members of EFTA; I imagine that EFTA Rules do not permit such discrimination, hence the pending case before the EFTA Surveillance Authority.

The Court case will merely give the Government an 'out'.

Iceland is completely screwed either way.
MWWSI 2017

Evil Genius

Quote from: muppet on April 12, 2011, 12:10:34 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on April 12, 2011, 12:44:07 AM

The Court case will merely give the Government an 'out'.

Iceland is completely screwed either way.
Indeed. Though I suspect that the political "out" which the Icelandic Government may derive from the electorate following a rejection by the ESA, will be greatly outweighed by the financial penalty which the ESA will impose on Iceland, seeing as they (electorate) were so "ungrateful" as to vote No to the relatively  generous settlement contained in the 2nd Referendum proposal.

Iceland might have done well to heed the lesson learned (the hard way) by Greece, ROI and Portugal etc, which is that you shouldn't play cards with the Big Boys, if you aren't prepared to take the losses which may follow.
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

lawnseed

how can a country be screwed, the yanks have been trying to screw cuba with sanctions for 40 years now their health service is dependant on cheap cuban doctors.
ok other countries can seize assets.. what have we got.. f**k all.. youy cant take feathers off a frog
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once