Connacht U21 Football Championship 2011

Started by ross4life, February 24, 2011, 02:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLIGONIAN

Galway 1-14 Sligo 0-1 was the HT scoreline,  >:(, Ive never been as angry in my life. Im not going to say anything more to what i witnessed today.

We lost only 3 players from last yrs 28 man squad that got connacht final and ran roscommon close but had beaten Galway in tuam..
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Tatler Jack

Saw Galway team and it looked strong. However I must say I am surprised at the scale of this defeat and I wonder did Sligo prepare in any way. Who was managing the Sligo team. This type of beating is bad for Sligo football.

ross4life

Something not right behind the scenes in Sligo? they were also getting hammered in challenge games.

Hopefully the Galway lads go into the final overconfident to give us a chance  :-\
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Peter Solan the Great

What do Sligo and Mayo have in common? there both bottlers of the highest order. Sligo bottles in the Conn final last year and now the under 21's this year.

mannix

ross matt

Conrgats to the Rossie's. Football still going in the right direction there. Would have been easy to take the foot of the throttle after the Mayo win and the distraction of Brigids in the club final. Surprised Galway gave Sligo that much of a hammering. Suggests Sligo were very poor. However Galway have some excellent players from last years minor side even if they are still young. Hopefully Roscommon will have everyone back from injury and club commitments etc. It should be an interesting final and a very hard one to call given the one sided nature of today's results.

GalwayBayBoy

Remarkably the first win for us at U-21 since we won the All-Ireland at that level in 2005. Hopefully the first step taken towards rebuilding for us. Some promising young players in that Galway team but I must admit I wasn't expecting that scoreline.

ross4life

Final has been confirmed for Saturday 2nd April 2011 Venue: Pearse Stadium, Galway Throw In: 3pm

Why couldn't the Connacht Gaa pick Tuam?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

moysider

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on March 19, 2011, 04:29:35 PM
Galway 1-14 Sligo 0-1 was the HT scoreline,  >:(, Ive never been as angry in my life. Im not going to say anything more to what i witnessed today.

We lost only 3 players from last yrs 28 man squad that got connacht final and ran roscommon close but had beaten Galway in tuam..

C'mon, not like you to speak your mind. What was that about?

ross matt

Quote from: ross4life on March 23, 2011, 11:28:25 PM
Final has been confirmed for Saturday 2nd April 2011 Venue: Pearse Stadium, Galway Throw In: 3pm

Why couldn't the Connacht Gaa pick Tuam?

Yeah I'm surprised. I'd heard it was going to be Tuam. Advantage tribesmen now. Should be  a good final all the same.

ross4life

The time & venue will lessen the crowd but hopefully it's one of those less windy days in Salthill that always seems to ruin a good game.

We haven't beaten Galway in a Under 21 final since 1982 so it's long over due.

ross matt

Quote from: ross4life on March 24, 2011, 03:49:45 PM
The time & venue will lessen the crowd but hopefully it's one of those less windy days in Salthill that always seems to ruin a good game.

We haven't beaten Galway in a Under 21 final since 1982 so it's long over due.

Forecast is good I think so hopefully little wind. I'd be concerned from a Roscommon point of view. Some good individual footballers in the likes of Duane, O'Currain, Sweeney etc in the Galway lineout. Normally their support is light but they will turn out in decent numbers saturday to support this team as silverware is badly needed.

ross4life

So the Connacht final on Saturday afternoon & this thread is very quiet  :-\

So not surprising Galway are hot favourites for this game 8/13 & only 5/1 for the All Ireland! if we manage to pull it off we'll have done it the hard way...Away to Mayo,Leitrim & Galway.

Rossfan

If the rhus were in it we'd be at page 40 by now  :D
Playing the game at 3 on a Saturday in Salthill will reduce the Ros support considerably plus the unfortunate clash with Ros CBS' All Ireland final in Mullingar.
The number of games in March /early April will be the cause of a lot of marriage breakdowns if it continues  :(
I'm hopeful only, not confident as I think we have a number of weak links in the team (  not going to name them here needless to say  ;)) which could come home to roost as the stakes get higher.
However Ros football is going through a (comparatively) good spell at present so let's hope Jimmy Gacquin's boys can keep the roll going.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

galwayman

This is a hard one to call. We are going into the final without any sort of a test whereas Ros had a tough game with Mayo in their first game. This kind of leaves Galway not knowing where they stand really.
Very tough to call a winner in this one