Money, Dublin and the GAA

Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Isn't there money being put into an "East Leinster project" by the GAA?
Any chance the Leitrims, Fermanaghs etc. could get some help?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Rossfan on September 13, 2019, 10:47:06 AM
They'd need to ask for it first and I don't think most counties have. I imagine we'd have heard if any ones did ask and were refused.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Hound

Quote from: mup on September 13, 2019, 10:45:59 AM
Quote from: highorlow on September 13, 2019, 10:10:38 AM
QuoteSupposed to be great work going on in Wicklow

Heard that myself, particularly in Greystones. Wicklow minors beat Dublin last year. Hopefully the likes of Meath, Kildare and Wicklow bring on these young teams and the Leinster Senior Championship will be more competitive in 3 to 5 years time.

Kildare won leinster minor titles in 13, 15, 16. They are not near competitive. Why will 3 - 5 years time be any different?

The Leinster Championship is a dead duck. No amount of faffing about or hoping for minor teams to step up is going to change that. The Dubs won't admit that money has been a big factor in this. Certainly not the only one but it's no coincidence.

In the 40 years from 1957 to 1997, Kildare didn't win a single Leinster senior football title. 0.
I don't know why that was, but could some of the reasons why they didn't win one in those 40 years not be similar to reasons why they haven't won one in the last 19 years?

Good minor teams will give Kildare are a good baseline, but they could do with a player of two who are the best in their position in the country to lift them to be genuine challengers.

twohands!!!

Dublin's U21/U20 Leinster football titles

Don't hold out any hope of Leinster going to become significantly more competitive any time soon.

From the Bunker

Quote from: twohands!!! on September 13, 2019, 05:48:10 PM
Dublin's U21/U20 Leinster football titles

Don't hold out any hope of Leinster going to become significantly more competitive any time soon.

You have to admire the commitment of the Dublin volunteer since 2002. You'd have to wonder what those volunteers  pre-2002 were doing! They must have been very poor!

FermGael

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 13, 2019, 02:36:10 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on September 13, 2019, 10:47:06 AM
They'd need to ask for it first and I don't think most counties have. I imagine we'd have heard if any ones did ask and were refused.

We did ask for it.  We were told to feck off.

Fermanagh have done a whole lot right.

Sitting in the middle of Division Two after drawing with even a burnt-out star like Cork may not seem much, but that's because many don't know their situation. The saying goes between lakes and protestants there isn't much left and it shows, what with the 20 clubs, the 3,514 registered players across all ages and grades, and a board estimate showing they've 270 men in their 20s that can play senior football. It ought to be a wasteland.

Yet in 2015 they'd made it to the last four in Ulster, took some decent scalps in the qualifiers, and got a trip to Croke Park only to be annihilated by Dublin. Some mocked their lap of honour after that defeat, but maximising what you have rather than winning is what's most important.

There were those in the county though who wanted to take it further. Their supporters' fundraising arm for instance brought in a phenomenal €130,000 (for context, the rare leaking of Dublin's accounts for 2016 showed they brought in a mere €57,336) and there was still more to do. So they went to Croke Park and asked for an external review. Does this sound like a county not getting its act together? Like a house not being put in order?

A root-and-branch investigation was carried out and signed off on by Micheál Ó Mairtín. His insights and views made sense locally as, of the six key recommendations, three were vital.

3. A cost-analysis should be prepared to outline the required funding required for the full implementation of this plan. This should be used to seek funding from sponsors and from Ulster Council/Croke Park.

4. A football development coordinator should be appointed on a three-year term to deliver the recommendations contained in Section 3 & 4.

6. The county should employ/contract a strength-and-conditioning coach to implement a programme for players from 14 to minor.

All of the above was done and they applied for funding as the association's own audit of them had said to do, asking for half the wages of the coach and coordinator. And guess what? "Told to go away," one person involved informed me. "They told us they were doing a review into all of their coaching, they'd be looking at their model, and to come back some point in the future."
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Rossfan

Feck off Fermanagh we need our money for Dublin >:(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

mup

Quote from: Hound on September 13, 2019, 03:01:32 PM

Heard that myself, particularly in Greystones. Wicklow minors beat Dublin last year. Hopefully the likes of Meath, Kildare and Wicklow bring on these young teams and the Leinster Senior Championship will be more competitive in 3 to 5 years time.

Kildare won leinster minor titles in 13, 15, 16. They are not near competitive. Why will 3 - 5 years time be any different?

The Leinster Championship is a dead duck. No amount of faffing about or hoping for minor teams to step up is going to change that. The Dubs won't admit that money has been a big factor in this. Certainly not the only one but it's no coincidence.

In the 40 years from 1957 to 1997, Kildare didn't win a single Leinster senior football title. 0.
I don't know why that was, but could some of the reasons why they didn't win one in those 40 years not be similar to reasons why they haven't won one in the last 19 years?

Good minor teams will give Kildare are a good baseline, but they could do with a player of two who are the best in their position in the country to lift them to be genuine challengers.

And how come no other county has won any  of the last 9? I suppose thats downs to every other county not having the volunteers that Dublin have. Mothing to do with finances. God no.

Usual head in the sand stuff from you Dubs

Hound

Quote from: mup on September 14, 2019, 08:18:20 AM

And how come no other county has won any  of the last 9? I suppose thats downs to every other county not having the volunteers that Dublin have. Mothing to do with finances. God no.

Ignore the question as usual. It's the Dubs fault that Kildare won none in 40 years before 1998.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Hound on September 14, 2019, 11:23:03 AM

Ignore the question as usual. It's the Dubs fault that Kildare won none in 40 years before 1998.
A valid point, Hound.
However, whatever the reason, Kildare have regressed in recent years form their high point in the early noughties. We have to deal with the here and now in the GAA world. For one reason or another, Kildare and most other Leinster counties wouldn't bate Katty Barry at the moment, never mind Dublin and that can't be good for anyone.
The county seems to be doing well at underage level and we can only hope this improvement continues.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

tonto1888

Nothing to do with good players either I take it

mup

Quote from: Hound on September 14, 2019, 11:23:03 AM

Where did I blame Dublin?

Paranoid or what.

mup

Quote from: tonto1888 on September 14, 2019, 12:20:36 PM

Of course it does. I've no problem admitting Dublin are a fantastic team. Pity ye can't admit that finances are part of the reason for the success.

From the Bunker

Quote from: mup on September 14, 2019, 04:12:16 PM

Of course it does. I've no problem admitting Dublin are a fantastic team. Pity ye can't admit that finances are part of the reason for the success.

This is a one in a generation group that have been brought through by excellent volunteers!

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 14, 2019, 04:20:01 PM
Quote from: mup on September 14, 2019, 04:12:16 PM

This is a one in a generation group that have been brought through by excellent volunteers!

There are some sad saps on this forum. Forty minutes away from a mouth watering All Ireland Final replay and this is what we get from self proclaimed Gaelic football enthusiasts. So sad.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8