Factors that can help you become a good footballer!

Started by From the Bunker, November 26, 2017, 11:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Orchard park on November 27, 2017, 07:47:39 PM
I reckon he has a better chance of making Kerry then you  have of getting 2 minutes in a junior D game ever

That means you think he has over a 100% chance of playing for Kerry.

LooseCannon

Orchard park

Quote from: Syferus on November 27, 2017, 07:53:06 PM
I reckon he has a better chance of making Kerry then you  have of getting 2 minutes in a junior D game ever

One could equally interpret I believing him to have a 1 % chance........

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: ned on November 27, 2017, 04:10:18 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 27, 2017, 04:02:23 PM
Quote from: ned on November 27, 2017, 03:56:46 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on November 27, 2017, 02:08:48 PM
Quote from: ned on November 27, 2017, 12:38:11 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 27, 2017, 09:48:58 AM
I know people with brutal hand to eye coordination and poor at sports, and seen people capable of taking to any sport right away. Can hand to eye coordination be taught or just instinctive?

You are either a natural or your not. However, beyond that, practice and hard work are needed no matter your skill levels. You can learn to kick with your weaker foot, you can train to be able to jump higher, you can learn how to deal better with situations with experience. So I guess better hand to eye coordination can be learned. Take one good and one average sportsman, with the less skillful one putting in the hours of practice, I reckon the average player will have more success. I'm sure most of us know players within our clubs who had all the talent but did not progress as they were lazy, not dedicated or whatever. Very few make it to the top without hard graft.

i dont believe that for a minute

?
Do you believe everyone is born with the same ability?

People are born with zero skill. They may have physical traits that help them. Size and speed are the two biggest ones, though even speed can be gained with the right training. Agility, balance, vision, skill, temperament and everything else can be taught. Give me a team of kids who are disciplined and good learners above anything else.

That's Patently wrong. Throughout the history of any sport there have been examples of players who have that wee bit extra, a touch of genius. That cannot be learned.
bull
they learn that somewhere or see it being done

Syferus

Quote from: Orchard park on November 27, 2017, 08:06:15 PM

Nope.

In hiding

Quote from: Syferus on November 27, 2017, 08:22:00 PM
Quote from: Orchard park on November 27, 2017, 08:06:15 PM

Nope.

Haven't read through the thread but Bounce by Matthew Syed  is a great read about this stuff. Might have already been mentioned here

Muck Savage

Genetics give kid a head start in terms of Athletic ability, speed agility etc.  it doesn't make them a good footballer. From there practice, aggression (controlled), will to win, interest in the game and very encouraging parents are needed. The most important is practicing the skills

Muck Savage

Quote from: TheOptimist on November 27, 2017, 03:40:12 PM
Birthdate is a big one. Have heard it said there is proof out there (somewhere) that those born in January tend to have more chance getting on well at sport. Makes sense in GAA given that some boys on the pitch will be 2 years younger than you.

Enthusiastic parents involved with the club I would say helps alot.

The secondary school you go to could have a big influence also.

I seen that in a book, Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell, he has statistics for the NHL that show kids born in the first third of the year have a better chance to make it to the pros but that generally was the case years back when physically bigger kids tended to dominate games to the point that smaller kids gave up. When he says bigger that is assuming that kids grow at similar pace so a kid born in Jan will have ~12 months of additional growth over a Dec kid of the same year. That was also in the days when 10-14 kids were put on the ice and a puck thrown out there for a game.
Today there is more focus of skills, Kids can't have any physical contact until they are older so to enable skills development. If you look at todays statistics there is a much more even spread throughout the year playing in the NHL. 

ned

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on November 27, 2017, 05:55:09 PM
Quote from: ned on November 27, 2017, 05:38:31 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 27, 2017, 05:31:32 PM
Quote from: TheOptimist on November 27, 2017, 05:25:30 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on November 27, 2017, 04:26:31 PM
Quote from: ned on November 27, 2017, 04:10:18 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 27, 2017, 04:02:23 PM
Quote from: ned on November 27, 2017, 03:56:46 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on November 27, 2017, 02:08:48 PM
Quote from: ned on November 27, 2017, 12:38:11 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 27, 2017, 09:48:58 AM
I know people with brutal hand to eye coordination and poor at sports, and seen people capable of taking to any sport right away. Can hand to eye coordination be taught or just instinctive?

You are either a natural or your not. However, beyond that, practice and hard work are needed no matter your skill levels. You can learn to kick with your weaker foot, you can train to be able to jump higher, you can learn how to deal better with situations with experience. So I guess better hand to eye coordination can be learned. Take one good and one average sportsman, with the less skillful one putting in the hours of practice, I reckon the average player will have more success. I'm sure most of us know players within our clubs who had all the talent but did not progress as they were lazy, not dedicated or whatever. Very few make it to the top without hard graft.

i dont believe that for a minute

?
Do you believe everyone is born with the same ability?

People are born with zero skill. They may have physical traits that help them. Size and speed are the two biggest ones, though even speed can be gained with the right training. Agility, balance, vision, skill, temperament and everything else can be taught. Give me a team of kids who are disciplined and good learners above anything else.

That's Patently wrong. Throughout the history of any sport there have been examples of players who have that wee bit extra, a touch of genius. That cannot be learned.
Such as?
How can you say they didn't learn it?
Where did it come from then?
They may have been subjected to a different set of circumstances or a different environment than was typical growing up that aided the development of that skill, but i don't believe that anyone is just born with an innate talent for something.
Like syferus says, physical traits can certainly help, but pretty much everything else can be coached/taught.

Come on now. Skill is a set of traits, be it balance, vision etc. Are you really saying that you or I could have been a Messi or a Maurice Fitzgerald given the correct circumstances. That attitude is BS, and it translates to all aspects of life be it intelligence or anything else. In honesty it piles too much pressure on young lads in particular as society tells them they have themselves to blame for their inadequacies.

Yes. Messi needed regular HGH injections to grow to his current less-than-towering size - if he'd been born any time before he was, or didn't have the benefit of a benefactor, he would never have become the player he was. He would have been unlikely to be a footballer at all. You literally chose an example that proves nurture over nature while attempting to prove the opposite, indeed the most extreme example of it you could have found.

It doesn't prove nurture over nature. Messi still had that something special. The growth hormones didn't make him more skillful. He may not have made it as a professional but he still would have had the touch of genius. You are mistaking successful for talent.

So you think Messi was just born with innate talent for soccer?
It wasnt something that he learned and perfected over many years of practice? It wasn't influenced by the coaching he received? The attitudes of the people he grew up with and by his parents?
It wasn't influenced by luck and circumstance?

It was all just some magic?

This is going around in circles. I didn't mention magic. Of course other influences helped Messi to become a professional footballer. That's not what I'm debating. There is an inate ability which was not learned.
I was an average footballer who trained hard, practiced every day, had a very talented father, decent coaching and all the rest. My brother was much better than me but trained if he wanted to and wasn't interested in practising. So by your reckoning somewhere between birth and 8 or so when we started playing structured football he gained an advantage which made him a better player? Maybe it was because he climbed more trees or liked bananas?

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Muck Savage on November 27, 2017, 09:10:06 PM
Genetics give kid a head start in terms of Athletic ability, speed agility etc.  it doesn't make them a good footballer. From there practice, aggression (controlled), will to win, interest in the game and very encouraging parents are needed. The most important is practicing the skills

This
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

stephenite

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on November 27, 2017, 10:21:39 PM
Quote from: Muck Savage on November 27, 2017, 09:10:06 PM

This

Agree.

There's a few Irish basketball players that undoubtedly inherited athletic ability, hand/eye coordination through the genes, but some of their parents wouldn't have seen a basketball court till the 60's much less shot some hoops. These lads had passion and commitment to practice their skills until they became good enough.

There was a lad from Offaly that made NBA, he undoubtedly had the right support around him from a parenting and a coaching perspective but I suspect the majority of his success came from his own discipline, and hours upon hours upon hours of practice.

Think it was Gary Player that said, 'the harder I practice the luckier I seem to get'.

ballinaman

The Sports Gene by David Epstein is well worth a read.

mrhardyannual

Total avoidance of all types of nonsense posted on gaaboard.com  ;D ;D ;D

weareros

Good pair of boots. Was sold an auld pair of Blackthorn boots that must have been sitting on a shop shelf for over forty years or more. I was told that's what the legends of the past wore. I could neither run nor shoot straight with them.

rosnarun

how about Brothers
after all the best players are not always the most skillful or best physical specimens,
but one absolute must is a mad desire to play and will to win  every ball .
the best place you learn this is at home knocking lump out of brothers and neighbors you would rather Die than lose to .
Even the very gifted have to learn if messi stayed in the bar telling every one how he played a bit of mior for the county that's where he still would be and pubs are full of them
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere