Ulster Club SFC 2018

Started by oakleaflad, October 03, 2018, 09:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Main Street on November 19, 2018, 12:03:07 AM
Your bad is right,  it's not advanced maths ,it's counting steps is not your thing, how difficult can it be? one, two three four  shoot? What an idiot  ;D
The relevance of your underlying point has no bearing on Conor McCarthy's  magical goal.

Advanced maths was me being ironic with reference to my own mistake over the number of steps. Good to see that didn't go over your head. 

The reality was that technically he overcarried the ball, but like I said, these things rarely get pinged by the ref. And for what it's worth - with no irony this time - you're right, it was a great goal. 

Taylor

I thought the atmosphere was a bit flat in the hell hole that is Omagh.

Good high level games of football mind you.

Scotstown have been sailing close to the wind & could have been beat in their last 2 games but now find themselves in the final. Beggan getting all the attention again today with a wonderful last kick.

Gweedore pulled an average Crossmaglen team apart. Coalisland will be kicking themselves after watching that. Gweedore have massive pace and run direct but Scotstown wont part like the red sea

tyroneman

The lack of pace in the Cross team was really exposed yesterday, as were the lightweight nature of the forwards. Clarke being back would mark a big upgrade, but you never know if he'll stick around or not.

I'll give them their dues though, they are mentally very tough and you would never bet against them being out of it, even with 14 men. Had they got a goal and brought the gap down to 3-4...who knows how GD would have reacted.

Having said that they just don't seem to have the ability of previous years...if you take the 2 x O'Neills and AK outta the current Cross team and you have a decent, but not great, side.

Hear a lot of folks talk about the youth in the Cross side needing time to mature, but did GD not have around 9 or 10 u21s playing?

Taylor

Quote from: tyroneman on November 19, 2018, 08:40:24 AM
The lack of pace in the Cross team was really exposed yesterday, as were the lightweight nature of the forwards. Clarke being back would mark a big upgrade, but you never know if he'll stick around or not.

I'll give them their dues though, they are mentally very tough and you would never bet against them being out of it, even with 14 men. Had they got a goal and brought the gap down to 3-4...who knows how GD would have reacted.

Having said that they just don't seem to have the ability of previous years...if you take the 2 x O'Neills and AK outta the current Cross team and you have a decent, but not great, side.

Hear a lot of folks talk about the youth in the Cross side needing time to mature, but did GD not have around 9 or 10 u21s playing?

Gweedore won the under 21's (either last year of this year) as well as having plenty of experience in their ranks. Cross were lacking in experience

Mikhailov

Quote from: Taylor on November 19, 2018, 08:48:17 AM

Gweedore won the under 21's (either last year of this year) as well as having plenty of experience in their ranks. Cross were lacking in experience

😳😳 how can you say a team featuring James Morgan, AK, TK, Paul Hughes, Johnny Hanratty & Kyle Carragher is lacking in experience. All of them have played for Armagh, won county championships plus Ulster Club titles. Add to this David McKenna and the 2 O'Neill lads (albeit young but plenty of big game exposure). Cross were beat fair and square on the day.....

seafoid

Quote from: illdecide on November 18, 2018, 05:12:46 PM
Couldn't believe how open Cross's defence was...what Cross would give for a F Bellew. Best team won alright but Cross will not be happy with their first half display (espicially their lack of defensive cover). Should be a good final all the same.
Cross will be back

They learn from their losses. They never stop learning.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Over the Bar

Quote from: Armaghtothebone on November 18, 2018, 08:35:50 PM
Quote from: Over the Bar on November 18, 2018, 04:54:29 PM
Cross at the same aul bad-loser craic as when Errigal Ciaran used to bate them out the door!   8)

Tell us all about the time Errigal won the All Ireland

Loads of AI medals in Errigal.  We're sick of looking at Sam Maguire around the place ffs!  ;D

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Over the Bar on November 19, 2018, 09:07:01 AM
Quote from: Armaghtothebone on November 18, 2018, 08:35:50 PM
Quote from: Over the Bar on November 18, 2018, 04:54:29 PM
Cross at the same aul bad-loser craic as when Errigal Ciaran used to bate them out the door!   8)

Tell us all about the time Errigal won the All Ireland

Loads of AI medals in Errigal.  We're sick of looking at Sam Maguire around the place ffs!  ;D

Wrong thread/topic, no point beating Cross if you can't go on and win the big one
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tonto1888

Quote from: Mikhailov on November 19, 2018, 08:59:34 AM
Quote from: Taylor on November 19, 2018, 08:48:17 AM

😳😳 how can you say a team featuring James Morgan, AK, TK, Paul Hughes, Johnny Hanratty & Kyle Carragher is lacking in experience. All of them have played for Armagh, won county championships plus Ulster Club titles. Add to this David McKenna and the 2 O'Neill lads (albeit young but plenty of big game exposure). Cross were beat fair and square on the day.....

Who said they weren't beaten fair and square?

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: shawshank on November 19, 2018, 12:14:09 AM
Surprised there is no mention of it, but Gweedores third gl was not a penalty, big call by the ref that had a big bearing on the game. It was a fair side to side hit
I havnt seen it back, but at the time i thought it was a penalty. Was it not into the back?
The one call yesterday I thought was dubious was the free for scotstown to win it.
It looked very very soft to me and was hard on Coleraine after being the better side for most of the game
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

straightred

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on November 19, 2018, 09:39:48 AM
Surprised there is no mention of it, but Gweedores third gl was not a penalty, big call by the ref that had a big bearing on the game. It was a fair side to side hit
I havnt seen it back, but at the time i thought it was a penalty. Was it not into the back?
The one call yesterday I thought was dubious was the free for scotstown to win it.
It looked very very soft to me and was hard on Coleraine after being the better side for most of the game

I did too and they were on an advantage anyway so if it wasnt they would have got a close in free. Don't think that decision cost them the game though.

Looking at the replay (BBC NI website) The scotstown free probably was a free - rash, tired challenge. As a few others have said Coleraine's 1st goal should never have stood though. 10 steps and there's no comparison in that and mccarthy's goal (who might have taken 5).

On the whole brannigan did well. Let them play and didn't give many soft frees.

Applesisapples

I have to laugh at all the baiters on here getting their thrills of a cross beating. At the end of the day Cross kicked 16 points, which would win many a game of football. They conceded two soft goals, a third from a penalty that shouldn't have been and a fourth when Hanratty was sent off. McQuillan confirmed once again that he is an inconsistent referee and is too obvious in games. That said the best team won. Cross defending was un Cross like, write them off at your peril. Both teams played contrasting football and both a joy to behold great advertisement for Ulster Football. Cross could have had a couple of goals themselves but that would have been larceny.

haranguerer

Quote from: lenny on November 19, 2018, 06:51:12 AM

Totally agree. It really pisses me off when refs blow up this sort of challenge. Ffs there has to be some physicality in the game and this was a perfectly timed shoulder.

You're joking!  ;D

blewuporstuffed

I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

mackers

Quote from: Throw ball on November 18, 2018, 04:35:07 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on November 18, 2018, 04:27:12 PM
Quote from: Throw ball on November 18, 2018, 04:25:16 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on November 18, 2018, 04:22:42 PM
Hanratty is a liability.

Yes but by his standards the bookings were very soft !

Thought the first was a rugby tackle black, second a definite yellow. But why make the second tackle knowing he was already on a yellow. Just daft.

I said elsewhere it is much harder to get frees in Armagh. He can get away with much of that in Armagh but not Ulster.
Whilst that's a correct statement it's a sad indictment of the refereeing in Armagh.  Hanratty was constantly at it in the Armagh championship and got away with it.  He got a standing ovation coming off against us after committing three reckless dangerous fouls.  As yellowcard says he is a liability and when faced by decent referees came a cropper.  If Cross want a hero to be giving standing ovations to they have plenty of other candidates.
It's a pity Rian O'Neill finished his championship in the way he did.  Thought he had turned a corner with his discipline and his football was far better for it. He's an outstanding prospect if he continues to keep the head.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.