Ulster Club SFC 2018

Started by oakleaflad, October 03, 2018, 09:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

general_lee

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 03, 2018, 08:46:14 PM
Tough one to win but that's what it's all about. The ref had his hands full. Each sending off was deserved. 2 bookings for 3 and each of them were bookings. Coalisland had no 4 sent off for a straight red for spitting on our physios face. They also had adults deliberately throwing the ball onto the field from behind the goals. They were getting the kids to get the balls and were holding them to the next lockout. Deliberately doing it. You reap what you sow
Cross finally met their match in the gypsy department

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: general_lee on November 04, 2018, 03:05:53 PM
Tough one to win but that's what it's all about. The ref had his hands full. Each sending off was deserved. 2 bookings for 3 and each of them were bookings. Coalisland had no 4 sent off for a straight red for spitting on our physios face. They also had adults deliberately throwing the ball onto the field from behind the goals. They were getting the kids to get the balls and were holding them to the next lockout. Deliberately doing it. You reap what you sow

Whatever you think. I know none of our players spat on anyone last night nor did we have grown men standing behind the nets throwing balls into the field to stop kick outs. Whatever about being physically on the edge, and let's face it none of the sending  offs for either teams were for bad tackles.  As someone who has been involved in coaching and playing within the club for over 30 years I can categorically state that I have never been involved in anything like that in terms of encouragement or encouraging that. 

Quote from: Throw ball on November 04, 2018, 03:04:35 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on November 04, 2018, 02:49:47 PM
Quote from: downtown on November 04, 2018, 01:31:01 PM
Coalisland probably seen the young cross ones throwing the ball onto the field before the Ballymacnab kick outs in the Armagh final. Well directed by adult supervision also.

Didn't happen

Agreed.

Definitely didn't happen. I'll tell you something about the Cross management. Of all the people who would be involved in coaching or playing they would be ones who would be beyond reproach in terms of their approach and attitude.

oakleaflad

Coleraine beat Castlerahan 2-11 to 0-11

mrdeeds

Quote from: oakleaflad on November 04, 2018, 04:00:15 PM
Coleraine beat Castlerahan 2-11 to 0-11

Never a red. But Castlerahan were brilliant second half. Went man to man with Goalkeeper as a corner back. Eoghan Rua took 20 minutes to score in 2nd half.

yellowcard

Scotstown should have won by a cricket score after completely dominating for 40 minutes but allowed Burren back to within a point of them and it looked as though Burren had the momentum then.

Burren kick out strategy was their undoing but I feel as though Scotstown were still deserving winners. Their defence will be their Achilles heel when it comes to actually winning Ulster. Coleraine v Scotstown could go either way.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: yellowcard on November 04, 2018, 04:14:07 PM
Scotstown should have won by a cricket score after completely dominating for 40 minutes but allowed Burren back to within a point of them and it looked as though Burren had the momentum then.

Burren kick out strategy was their undoing but I feel as though Scotstown were still deserving winners. Their defence will be their Achilles heel when it comes to actually winning Ulster. Coleraine v Scotstown could go either way.

Were you at the game?  I was listening to it and the penalty shout near the end seemed pretty clear cut according to the radio. Scotstown has 15-16 wides....that won't happen again I reckon. Gweedore also seemed pretty comfortable in the first half and should have ripped Cargin out completely. Nearly wish they had as Cargins comeback will make sure that Gweedore are definitely focused for the semi!!!  No disrespect to Coleraine but Scotstown will win that one and will be favourites for the final.

Our game is interesting as Gweedore are in complete virgin territory and have a really good team. In many respects for half our team they are in new waters as well. Both teams have a sprinkling of solid experienced players so it's who of the lesser can adapt to the experience of a playing on Ulster that will be key. It won't be won by the McGees or Cassidy on one side or Aaron Kernan or Johnny Hanratty for us but but which first timers settle best. It will be a tough one to call but I reckon Gweedore will be slight favourites

OgraAnDun

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 04, 2018, 04:23:43 PM

Were you at the game?  I was listening to it and the penalty shout near the end seemed pretty clear cut according to the radio. Scotstown has 15-16 wides....that won't happen again I reckon. Gweedore also seemed pretty comfortable in the first half and should have ripped Cargin out completely. Nearly wish they had as Cargins comeback will make sure that Gweedore are definitely focused for the semi!!!  No disrespect to Coleraine but Scotstown will win that one and will be favourites for the final.

Our game is interesting as Gweedore are in complete virgin territory and have a really good team. In many respects for half our team they are in new waters as well. Both teams have a sprinkling of solid experienced players so it's who of the lesser can adapt to the experience of a playing on Ulster that will be key. It won't be won by the McGees or Cassidy on one side or Aaron Kernan or Johnny Hanratty for us but but which first timers settle best. It will be a tough one to call but I reckon Gweedore will be slight favourites

Stonewall. Burren then turned the ball over cleanly on the 45 as Scotstown broke from that and a free was somehow given against them. Scotstown totally dominated almost the whole opening 40 minutes though. Controversy with one of the points as one umpire signalled a wide and the other signalled a point!

Armagh18

Quote from: general_lee on November 04, 2018, 03:05:53 PM
Cross are bad, but theres a line they don't cross (pardon the pun) Coalisland crossed that last night.

yellowcard

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 04, 2018, 04:23:43 PM

Yes and it was a definite penalty.

Don't kid yourself, Cross will be firm favourites purely on reputation alone, they are favourites to win Ulster and third favourites to win the All Ireland.

Main Street

The beginnings of Burren's comeback coincided with Kieran Hughes' black card. I'd hazard a guess that Kieran deserved it :)
Northern Sound hardly mentioned the penalty claim, though had Burren been awarded the penalty they still would have had to beat Beggan and his record of saving penalties in club championship football is exceptionally good. Nudie Hughes didn't make it for the commentary because of illness, I hope nothing's amiss.

straightred

Quote from: Main Street on November 04, 2018, 05:23:20 PM
The beginnings of Burren's comeback coincided with Kieran Hughes' black card. I'd hazard a guess that Kieran deserved it :)
Northern Sound hardly mentioned the penalty claim, though had Burren been awarded the penalty they still would have had to beat Beggan and his record of saving penalties in club championship football is exceptionally good. Nudie Hughes didn't make it for the commentary because of illness, I hope nothing's amiss.

i was at it too and wasn't sure about the penalty. Ref was in a perfect position to be fair. Maybe he charged into him.

Having said that Scotstown got out of jail. There were far better but had a serious number of 1st half wides. Some of them were really bad wides too. If they can fix their shooting they'll be hard to beat

Taylor

Was behind the nets on Saturday night and the young kid was being actively encouraged by his Da to throw the balls back on just before the Cross kickout.
When a steward came over the Da took out his phone and started recording the steward. At half time the kid took a black kit bag full of balls down to the other end and the Da followed.
Petey Donnelly is just a superb keeper. The Cross keeper is not.
Young ONeill hit a point in second half and it must have started out 10/15 yards wide but he judged the wind to perfection.
Our latest All Star's antics were an embarassment.
The Island will know this was won they could have won if they had just played some football.

Tattyreagh hammered St Peters by 1 point. Far better team. Intermediate football in Armagh must be poor if this is the best they have.

On Sunday Scotstown should have been home and hosed but in the end were hanging on for dear life. Strange game.
From where I was it looked a penalty but ref obviously had a better view.
Beggan was like an outfield player at times and his place kicking was fantastic but he seems to love the attention. Would do well to watch back the AISF to keep his feet on the ground

brokencrossbar1

Donnelly is a very good keeper and adds a real dimension to the Coalisland team. Our keeper is only aged 19 so I'd give him a bit of time Taylor. He actually is a really good keeper and will grow into a much better one. He had one of his weaker games the other night but it's his championship debut season. He's only conceded 4 goals in 7 games so he's doing ok.

tonto1888

Quote from: Taylor on November 05, 2018, 08:02:39 AM
Was behind the nets on Saturday night and the young kid was being actively encouraged by his Da to throw the balls back on just before the Cross kickout.
When a steward came over the Da took out his phone and started recording the steward. At half time the kid took a black kit bag full of balls down to the other end and the Da followed.
Petey Donnelly is just a superb keeper. The Cross keeper is not.
Young ONeill hit a point in second half and it must have started out 10/15 yards wide but he judged the wind to perfection.
Our latest All Star's antics were an embarassment.
The Island will know this was won they could have won if they had just played some football.

Tattyreagh hammered St Peters by 1 point. Far better team. Intermediate football in Armagh must be poor if this is the best they have.

On Sunday Scotstown should have been home and hosed but in the end were hanging on for dear life. Strange game.
From where I was it looked a penalty but ref obviously had a better view.
Beggan was like an outfield player at times and his place kicking was fantastic but he seems to love the attention. Would do well to watch back the AISF to keep his feet on the ground

Tattyreagh hammered St Peters by a point? You must have watched a different game. Granted St Peters didn't play that well but they could easily be looking forward to an Ulster Semi had they not missed two easy frees. And that's not to mention some of their poor shooting

David McKeown

The BBC highlights suggest it was a stone wall penalty in the Burren game. Great to see 5 minutes of highlights for each game but just a pity they couldn't stream one live.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner