GAA WTF

Started by seafoid, January 30, 2023, 07:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Derryman forever

Quote from: Rossfan on December 29, 2023, 04:56:23 PMI would suggest that Aus Rules developed from the type of game played by the mainly Irish transportees?

There is an oft repeated story in Australia, that Aussie rules was developed by the Irish convicts who when asking their guards for a ball to play their sport with , were given a rugby ball and a cricket oval and told go play your game there.

I don't give it much credence.

seafoid

Quote from: Derryman forever on December 29, 2023, 11:03:02 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on December 29, 2023, 04:56:23 PMI would suggest that Aus Rules developed from the type of game played by the mainly Irish transportees?

There is an oft repeated story in Australia, that Aussie rules was developed by the Irish convicts who when asking their guards for a ball to play their sport with , were given a rugby ball and a cricket oval and told go play your game there.

I don't give it much credence.
The posts are the same as the original GAA posts.
Cricket ovals were the only sort of space or the most popular space available, maybe, in Australia.
In Ireland rugby and soccer, the 2 garrison games, used rectangular pitches so GAA followed this.
Use of an oval ball is a skill level thing.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Captain Scarlet

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

red hander

imtommygunn

He could see jail time if he's guilty. (If) Oh dear.

AustinPowers

What is going on  with the  new official GAA Website?  It is beyond woeful.

Looking for results is like  looking for a  needle  in a haystack.

The fixtures/results section  was so easy to  navigate before.  But this new  site  is truly awful

Blowitupref

Quote from: AustinPowers on February 18, 2024, 07:15:51 PMWhat is going on  with the  new official GAA Website?  It is beyond woeful.

The fixtures/results section  was so easy to  navigate before.  But this new  site  is truly awful

It's like they got some students on work experience to update the website.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

thewobbler

The results service is going to be an improvement I reckon. They haven't seemingly quite got their heads around the fuzzy logic of competition names (e.g if I type in terms like nfl or national or division or d2, they should ALL present me Allianz National Football League Division 2 as an option), but once that's nailed, it's going to be a big improvement on pressing through a series of buttons and toggles.

seafoid

Quote from: AustinPowers on February 18, 2024, 07:15:51 PMWhat is going on  with the  new official GAA Website?  It is beyond woeful.

I think RTE is the best website for reliable GAA results. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

gander

Score Beo app is great for up to date scores and results

Milltown Row2

Twitter gives you updates on scores all the time, its the only positive thing about twitter. In fact some provide videos of scores and a bitta craic with the comments
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Snapchap

People really do like to complain! I was curious to see how bad the gaa site is for getting results after reading the above. Here's how challenging it was:

I went to gaa.ie and clicked 'results and fixtures' and there they were. Listed by date. Literally one click brought me to exactly what I was looking for.

Thought maybe the issue could have been with the mobile version. Went to gaa.ie on the phone, tapped the menu icon at the top, tapped 'results and fixtures' and there they were. Listed by date. A total of two taps.

There's even a search bar. Typed in 'league' and got a drop down list of which division's results I was looking for.

Are yis expecting Larry McCarthy to personally call to your door and hand deliver a printed list of the day's results or soemthing?

HiMucker

Quote from: Snapchap on February 19, 2024, 01:18:22 PMPeople really do like to complain! I was curious to see how bad the gaa site is for getting results after reading the above. Here's how challenging it was:

I went to gaa.ie and clicked 'results and fixtures' and there they were. Listed by date. Literally one click brought me to exactly what I was looking for.

Thought maybe the issue could have been with the mobile version. Went to gaa.ie on the phone, tapped the menu icon at the top, tapped 'results and fixtures' and there they were. Listed by date. A total of two taps.

There's even a search bar. Typed in 'league' and got a drop down list of which division's results I was looking for.

Are yis expecting Larry McCarthy to personally call to your door and hand deliver a printed list of the day's results or soemthing?
Gone have a wee look at the div 3 football table for me on it, and let us know if you think thats up to scratch as well.

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: Snapchap on February 19, 2024, 01:18:22 PMPeople really do like to complain! I was curious to see how bad the gaa site is for getting results after reading the above. Here's how challenging it was:

I went looking for fixtures/results couple weeks back and gave up. Was actually gonna post on here as to where people get their info from as gaa.ie deffo wasn't an option

Snapchap

Quote from: HiMucker on February 19, 2024, 01:29:56 PM

Gone have a wee look at the div 3 football table for me on it, and let us know if you think thats up to scratch as well.

Clearly the Div 3 table is missing, but that's obviously a case that it (ridiculously of course) just hasn't been published to the site, rather than an issue with the actual website design. Were it published, it's safe to say that the design of the site would make it accessible along by following the same naviagtaional process as opens any of the other tables, which is a process that requires making a grand total of just three clicks.

And it's the site design (and specifically, finding match results) that people here seem to be complaining about.