All Ireland Gaelic Football Final 2014 Kerry v Donegal

Started by rrhf, August 31, 2014, 10:20:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

After the first 15 minutes, I went outside for a kickaround with my two little nephews.
Came back for the final 20 minutes of the game.
First time in my life I haven't watched an All-Ireland football final from start to finish in it's entirety.

If you were any use you'd be playing.

J OGorman

some amount of boys on here lambasting the Kerry style. If ye's are for lambasting anyone, lambast Donegal who hosted the putrid football party. Kerry played a certain style to win the final...needs must and all that. They won the 2014 all-ireland that featuring the greatest team we've ever seen play football with a squad of fairly young inexperienced players. Hammered the rebels, and along with Mayo produced 2 of the best games seen this year. So good luck to them

Jinxy

I don't know why some northern posters are hopping up and down about Kerry cynicism.
They're no saints but let's be clear about this, they played the way they had to on the day.
That same team has been involved in two of the greatest games I've ever seen (last years and this years semi).
Donegal have one way of playing, which reduces 90% of the games they play to a mind-numbing game of schoolyard bulldog.
I've never held Kerry up as any type of shining example, I don't believe in sacred cows, but as indifferent as I was to the result yesterday, it was better for the game that Kerry won.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Congrats to the Kerry men, desperate desperate game, hopefully somebody can bring something different to the table next year..................................you can rule out kerry and donegal for next year already

NaomhBridAbú

there is a risk that this years All-Ireland will be re-named the Joe Brolly Cup, in the same way that 2003 was the pat Spillane cup.

So the final yesterday wasn't a "great advert for the game" but where the f**k is the instruction manual which says that "EVERY FINAL MUST BE PLAYED TO A SUPERLATIVE LEVEL OF STYLE AND PANACHE"

I say f**k joe Brolly and his opinion about puke football in the same way i said f**k Pat Spillane and his opinion of Tyrone in 2003.

The All-Ireland is for winning - its not a beauty contest. We were spoiled by the highest standards of the semi finals which preceded yesterday, and it it is completely wrong to be-grudge Kerry as winners or castigate Donegal for losing.

It is what it is.

Zeitgeist. Its the spirit of now...its how football is played today.

Brolly was w**king on last night about "clubs up and down the country will be mimicking this style of football.."
Really?

Crossmaglen will change? as will Ballinderry...and of course Dr Crokes and Castlebar and St Vincents

Will they f**k....in the same way as the semifinals didnt make everyone want to play like Mayo, Dublin etc...

That is the beauty of our code - that there is a dogged determination to win, where the medal and cup means more than any money.

Fair play to Kerry...enjoy it...you deserve it. Commiserations Donegal...roll on 2015.
Tyrone Abu
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

imtommygunn

Clubs won't change at all I would say. To play game plans like those successfully takes immense amounts of preparation both to get the fitness and to get the organisation required. It doesn't happen overnight. Clubs wouldn't have the time money or most the dedication to put the preparation in to implement these game plans successfully. Yes some may try and implement them but they more than likely won't work.

yellowcard

Quote from: Jinxy on September 22, 2014, 11:47:58 AM
I don't know why some northern posters are hopping up and down about Kerry cynicism.
They're no saints but let's be clear about this, they played the way they had to on the day.
That same team has been involved in two of the greatest games I've ever seen (last years and this years semi).
Donegal have one way of playing, which reduces 90% of the games they play to a mind-numbing game of schoolyard bulldog.
I've never held Kerry up as any type of shining example, I don't believe in sacred cows, but as indifferent as I was to the result yesterday, it was better for the game that Kerry won.

When two teams take the same approach to the game it is always going to be a slug fest. Kerry basically took the same approach against Mayo getting lots of bodies behind the ball but the reason it was a good spectacdle was because of the contrast in styles. Similar with Donegal and Dublin where one team wanted to play attacking football on the front foot and the other wanted to soak up ressure and counter attack. The only surprise is that people are surprised that yesterdays game turned out to be one big arm wrestle. Fitzmaurice is no mug and he knows hew doesn't have the players to play attacking progressive football and expect to win an All Ireland and he cut his cloth to suit this year.

J OGorman

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on September 22, 2014, 11:55:43 AM
Congrats to the Kerry men, desperate desperate game, hopefully somebody can bring something different to the table next year..................................you can rule out kerry and donegal for next year already

Add............Dublin.................to...................that.......................list....................sure.....................for..................the.....................sheer..................craic

INDIANA

Quote from: NaomhBridAbú on September 22, 2014, 11:57:11 AM
there is a risk that this years All-Ireland will be re-named the Joe Brolly Cup, in the same way that 2003 was the pat Spillane cup.

So the final yesterday wasn't a "great advert for the game" but where the f**k is the instruction manual which says that "EVERY FINAL MUST BE PLAYED TO A SUPERLATIVE LEVEL OF STYLE AND PANACHE"

I say f**k joe Brolly and his opinion about puke football in the same way i said f**k Pat Spillane and his opinion of Tyrone in 2003.

The All-Ireland is for winning - its not a beauty contest. We were spoiled by the highest standards of the semi finals which preceded yesterday, and it it is completely wrong to be-grudge Kerry as winners or castigate Donegal for losing.

It is what it is.

Brolly was w**king on last night about "clubs up and down the country will be mimicking this style of football.."
Really?

Crossmaglen will change? as will Ballinderry...and of course Dr Crokes and Castlebar and St Vincents

Will they f**k....in the same way as the semifinals didnt make everyone want to play like Mayo, Dublin etc...

That is the beauty of our code - that there is a dogged determination to win, where the medal and cup means more than any money.

Fair play to Kerry...enjoy it...you deserve it. Commiserations Donegal...roll on 2015.
Tyrone Abu

Club teams don't have to mimic it- they are long doing it.

Kerry crowed long enough about puke football. Brolly is quite right in saying that the irony this morning really is quite something

Kerry popped their cherry and entered the dark side yesterday

There is no going back for them

imtommygunn

The question now is whether Jim Gavin will have Dublin join the darkside too.

Crete Boom

It is what it is.

Really?

Tyrone Abu

Agree 100% ( although I think you meant Maigh Eo Abú ;D) , well said

INDIANA

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 22, 2014, 12:07:42 PM
The question now is whether Jim Gavin will have Dublin join the darkside too.

Don't need to revert to yesterday's type but defence is part of the game and we will have to rectify matters accordingly .

I never liked the imbalance between defence and attack we had anyway.

yellowcard

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 22, 2014, 12:00:19 PM
Clubs won't change at all I would say. To play game plans like those successfully takes immense amounts of preparation both to get the fitness and to get the organisation required. It doesn't happen overnight. Clubs wouldn't have the time money or most the dedication to put the preparation in to implement these game plans successfully. Yes some may try and implement them but they more than likely won't work.

Clubs won't change because these tactics are already being aped all over the country at club level. Jimmy McGuinness set the template for teams with limited players who want to maximise their chances of winning. Whether you agree with or not managers will do whatever it takes to give their side the best possible chance of winning.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: INDIANA on September 22, 2014, 12:05:23 PM

It is what it is.

Really?

Tyrone Abu

Kerry crowed long enough about puke football. Brolly is quite right in saying that the irony this morning really is quite something

The biggest irony is that spillane was still proclaiming them as the purists of football.
I have absolutly no problem with the way kerry played yesterday, every team is entitled to play whatever way they want within the rules to give themselves the best chance of winning.
It didnt make for the greatest of spectle, but thats not thier problem.
What is hard to stomach is listening to Pat spouting that only donegal in the last 5 years had won an allireland playing defensive football. Did he not watch yesterdays game?
He has given out yards in the past about mcguiness playing the best FF in irealnd out round the middle of the feild, but not a word about it yesterday when Kerry did the same with james odonaghue.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

J OGorman

Quote from: INDIANA on September 22, 2014, 12:05:23 PM

It is what it is.

Really?

Tyrone Abu

you Dubs needy put away the crystal balls. Kerry lifted Sam in a championship year that included the unbeatable Dubs. You got it all wrong against Donegal were as Kerry got it spot on. Kerry, best team in the country this year. Plenty of emerging talent with the experience of winning and the Gooch to come back. Could be there or there abouts next year. Have the weaponry and skill set to beat any system by the looks of it. Id say Gavin will have learnt more watching that game than any game Dublin were involved in this year