Is the earlier Championship a success or failure?

Started by full moon, May 07, 2022, 12:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Earlier Championship

Success
59 (38.6%)
Failure
61 (39.9%)
Too early to say
33 (21.6%)

Total Members Voted: 153

rrhf

Quote from: thewobbler on July 21, 2022, 09:02:52 AM
Most of the general public have no interest in early round championship matches, or indeed the Super 8s. Fewer again the Tailteann Cup.

So why the county season should be dragged on interminably when there's only 8-10 matches in each code that interest the general public, I'll never know.
Great point.
However I think it has been a success. It has also  let the county players cash in on their profile for the summer in the states and enjoy a bit of a life, and the clubs and the club players now know to get on with it with who they have. Not perfect but better. 

Franko

Quote from: onefineday on July 21, 2022, 02:16:50 AM
Quote from: Eire90 on July 20, 2022, 01:02:53 PM
exactly the club championship should be promoted more and you could say it is  far more competitive    than intercounty
Yeah, the Dublin county final was a ringing endorsement for top class club football alright.
People like us will watch club games if they're on, we're in the minority. It's difficult to generate an interest for casual supporters in a club game where they've no affinity with the club or county.
Games played on shitty pitches, 15 men behind the ball, probably played in a giant stadium that's about 20% full at most. It's just not appealing to most people, and in my opinion, never will be.

In August?

Captain Scarlet

The main arguments against the split season seem to be about armchair fans being unhappy and a few in the national media (not the local lads you may notice) giving out about promotion.
A lot of these lads are on the Sunday Game who would only ever give the likes of Wicklow footballers or the counties below Liam McCarthy a 2 minute reel anyway.

You can promote all you want but a crappy first round of the Leinster isn't going to get a big crowd anyway. Likewise I am not going to see another club play, bar the county finals.

Players dropping off and just being sick of training can be addressed now. The players all seem to enjoy it and lads can plan their lives a bit more.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

onefineday

Quote from: thewobbler on July 21, 2022, 07:46:27 AM
Quote from: onefineday on July 21, 2022, 02:16:50 AM
Quote from: Eire90 on July 20, 2022, 01:02:53 PM
exactly the club championship should be promoted more and you could say it is  far more competitive    than intercounty
Yeah, the Dublin county final was a ringing endorsement for top class club football alright.
People like us will watch club games if they're on, we're in the minority. It's difficult to generate an interest for casual supporters in a club game where they've no affinity with the club or county.
Games played on shitty pitches, 15 men behind the ball, probably played in a giant stadium that's about 20% full at most. It's just not appealing to most people, and in my opinion, never will be.

* to most people *

Try yourself.
I certainly don't include myself there, I've spent many's the winter Sunday googling abbreviated gaeilge names trying to figure out what county hurling semi-final I'm watching! I've been involved in club football all my life to some extent, from playing, spectating, attempting to coach and administrating. And one thing that has taught me is that the appeal of the club is based on the community and belonging and all that stuff that the AIB ads say it is. Those feelings don't translate well to a mass audience, and the spectacle that quite a bit of club football now presents doesn't add to that appeal (Leitrim county final getting an honourable exemption there).

Franko

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on July 21, 2022, 04:40:03 PM
The main arguments against the split season seem to be about armchair fans being unhappy and a few in the national media (not the local lads you may notice) giving out about promotion.
A lot of these lads are on the Sunday Game who would only ever give the likes of Wicklow footballers or the counties below Liam McCarthy a 2 minute reel anyway.

You can promote all you want but a crappy first round of the Leinster isn't going to get a big crowd anyway. Likewise I am not going to see another club play, bar the county finals.

Players dropping off and just being sick of training can be addressed now. The players all seem to enjoy it and lads can plan their lives a bit more.

+1

The GAA exists to promote the interests of Irish people and the Irish diaspora

Top of that list for the GAA should be it's players, active members and volunteers

As far as I can see, among that group, there would be a mood of cautious welcoming of the new structures

The armchair warriors whose only experience of the GAA comes from the TV should be given ZERO consideration

armaghniac

Yes, the GAA should act in the interests of its current members. But it also needs to make some appeal to people not currently members in order to get more and attract new people.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Captain Scarlet

But the way people actually get into the GAA is mostly down to the local club putting in the work, not from seeing it on TV. Lads at local level going to encourage kids at school and that brings in the parents too.

The Players should be listened to as they are the ones flat out training. Now they have game after game like most sports and they seem to enjoy it.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Rossfan

Armagh's County team's Championship ended 25th June.
Their Club Championships not starting till end of August!!!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

naka

Quote from: Rossfan on July 22, 2022, 10:10:00 AM
league  fixtures will be over by then and championship run off to be finsihed at end september?

Milltown Row2

No league games either to play? Strange

Edit: rossfan talking shit
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rossfan

Quote from: naka on July 22, 2022, 10:11:24 AM
league  fixtures will be over by then and championship run off to be finsihed at end september?
"Run off"  as in got out of the way?
Why not just have a weekend blitz!

naka

Quote from: Rossfan on July 22, 2022, 10:14:03 AM
Quote from: naka on July 22, 2022, 10:11:24 AM
"Run off"  as in got out of the way?
Why not just have a weekend blitz!
run off as in a proper structure to allow guys to go on holidays and have everyone back
it was agreed by clubs and county board and for once allows players to know when the championship dates .
its a positive for once .
armagh have actually been progressive in trying to get leagues set up with teams of similiar standard which is a success

Rossfan

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 22, 2022, 10:11:43 AM

Just stating facts.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rossfan on July 22, 2022, 11:11:55 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 22, 2022, 10:11:43 AM

Just stating facts.

What's the point of your facts though? Do you think they weren't playing football till then?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rossfan

Not "my" fact, just a fact.
Sad to see them wasting July and August on oul Leagues if that's what they're at.
Anyway if that's what they want.....
We've finished Leagues thanks to the split season. Adult Championships start we 6/7 August.