AI Club hurling

Started by johnneycool, November 10, 2014, 09:45:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

The other Connacht clubs play in the intermediate and junior finals... There has been a team outside of Galway that has won before at senior, was it Four roads? or have I made that up
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

pullhard

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 14, 2014, 09:56:45 PM
The other Connacht clubs play in the intermediate and junior finals... There has been a team outside of Galway that has won before at senior, was it Four roads? or have I made that up

Thanks MR, shouldn't have made the assumption.

Any write ups from todays game?

seafoid

They beat abbeyknockmoy in 88

http://www.fourroadshurlingclub.com/history

One of the great highlights any possibly the greatest achievement in the history of the club took place at Ballyforan on Sunday, November 20th 1988, when the Connaught Club Championship was won on the field of play. Galway champions, Abbeyknockmoy, were expected to pick up the Connaught title without too much trouble. However, the mighty heroes from Four Roads had other ideas and in a hectic final quarter, goals from Simon Coyle, Paul Dolan and Paddy Dolan shocked Abbeyknockmoy and the hurling world. The final whistle brought an explosion of emotion and celebration, which had to be seen to be believed. It was a source of great pride for Four Roads people all over the world and will always be a cherished memory for those of us who were lucky to be there.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Owenmoresider

The Connacht club hurling is ranked in many ways like the IC hurling championships are, in that the Mayo and Roscommon champions play Intermediate and the Sligo and Leitrim champions Junior, and both county champions play each other in a semi final to meet the Galway Intermediate/Junior champions in the provincial final, and the Galway senior champions go straight to the AI semi.

As above, Four Roads won in 1988 but also Tremane won one in the mid 70's also. Remarkable given that club is merely comprised of a few townlands if I recall right.

johnneycool

Quote from: pullhard on December 14, 2014, 09:10:58 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on December 08, 2014, 02:36:48 PM
Brutal for Portumna.

Hard luck to KK yesterday. That's some forward line Ballyhale have, for a club team. Jaysus.

Portumna out, when will the connaught final take place?

That pitch, must have been like running in marmite. Hurling in December....

That pitch looked like Athenry to me, what was wrong with Salthill?

Gort looked like they wanted it more and overall better all round team, they'll give Ballyhale their fill of it in November.

Lecale2

Quote from: johnneycool on December 15, 2014, 09:12:38 AM
Brutal for Portumna.

Hard luck to KK yesterday. That's some forward line Ballyhale have, for a club team. Jaysus.

Gort looked like they wanted it more and overall better all round team, they'll give Ballyhale their fill of it in November.

February?

pullhard

Quote from: Lecale2 on December 15, 2014, 10:33:08 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on December 15, 2014, 09:12:38 AM
Brutal for Portumna.

February?

Possibly been pushed back ;)

NAG1

Was Joe injured he looked very heavy legged, the pitch didnt suit the better ball players from Portumna. The pace was slow and a lot of tackles put in, Gort definitely had the work rate and deserved their win.

The goal coming so close on the back of the Portumna goal really killed the game.

manfromdelmonte

I think some work had been done on the salthill pitch, as the county finals should have been played off
plus, clubs hate coming across the city to play games

Saffrongael

Quote from: seafoid on December 04, 2014, 10:25:40 AM
Why are Tipp clubs so poor in the club championship ?
Galway are fabliss on the other hand.

Err no provincial Championship to navigate through for Galway ?
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

gallsman

Quote from: Saffrongael on December 16, 2014, 12:52:13 PM
Quote from: seafoid on December 04, 2014, 10:25:40 AM
Why are Tipp clubs so poor in the club championship ?
Galway are fabliss on the other hand.

Err no provincial Championship to navigate through for Galway ?

Yes, but Galways clubs (obviously dominated by Portumna recently) actually go on to win the all Ireland. Tipp clubs rarely get out of Munster.

Roashter

Looks like both semi-finals are fixed for a double header in Thurles.

Seems a bit unfair that Portaferry (unless they actually want to play in Thurles) have to travel so far. Google maps tells me it is 4 hours versus 1 hour for Killmallock.

Surely Parnell park would have been fairer.

Canalman

Quote from: Roashter on January 13, 2015, 05:01:38 PM
Looks like both semi-finals are fixed for a double header in Thurles.

Seems a bit unfair that Portaferry (unless they actually want to play in Thurles) have to travel so far. Google maps tells me it is 4 hours versus 1 hour for Killmallock.

Surely Parnell park would have been fairer.

Read in the paper today that Portaferry have no problem with venue and actually welcomed playing in Thurles. No whinging or scrutinizing maps of Ireland and AA websites for distances.
To say the least it was refreshing to read.

Classy on their part and to be commended.

manfromdelmonte

Next year the GAA might play all the semis up in Ulster so

theskull1

It'd be classy if they did wouldn't it  ;D

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera