Mayo v Westmeath Round 4B

Started by Farrandeelin, July 18, 2016, 08:39:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Judging by the comments on the blog, Mayo had a cat second half.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Zulu

Err yeah. Are you saying Tyrone are so far ahead of Mayo, who have played in All Ireland finals and beaten many reigning All Ireland champions, that to suggest some lads just out of U21 might find it difficult to live with them if they bring their A game is nuts? Jesus, apparently you can't suggest the Ulster championship isn't the world's toughest sports competition or that Tyrone aren't wonderful without some lads getting their knickers in a twist.

highorlow

Systems failure when game "opens up" for us. Westmeath could have won it if they got their frees.

Still don't like our "system" but ironically it could come good against the Ulster shit football that has infested our game.

In other words Tyrone are incapable of "opening up" any game so I'd be confident enough our muck ball will be better than their muck ball!

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

SkillfulBill

Quote from: Zulu on July 30, 2016, 09:39:06 PM
Err yeah. Are you saying Tyrone are so far ahead of Mayo, who have played in All Ireland finals and beaten many reigning All Ireland champions, that to suggest some lads just out of U21 might find it difficult to live with them if they bring their A game is nuts? Jesus, apparently you can't suggest the Ulster championship isn't the world's toughest sports competition or that Tyrone aren't wonderful without some lads getting their knickers in a twist.

Here is the twist on this the current  Tyrone side would beat the current Mayo side at their very best and with Tyrone at coming to their  peak v a miss firing mayo side 2 years into decline only one winner Tyrone +6

Zulu

You might be right SkillfulBill, Tyrone are certainly a coming team and Mayo have been anything but impressive so far but all the provinces are poor at the moment so Tyrone winning theirs doesn't mean much. That's not to say they won't prove to be a match for the best but suggesting they might fall short is hardly insulting or leftfield though it appears some Tyrone posters disagree.

bennydorano

I'd be very surprised if Mayo don't give Tyrone their fill of it. I'll probably back Mayo there should be good value to be had with the Bookies.

ck

Mayo did enough today. Ok they let Westmeath back in but to suggest Tyrone will have it easy is ridiculous.

GalwayBayBoy

Mayo seem to be playing in fits and starts this year like an old motor spluttering to get going. They had a very good 15 minutes today where they did most of the damage but apart from that you could make a decent case that Westmeath were the better side the remainder of the game. That said you'd expect them to raise it next weekend. Not always easy to turn it on and off like a light switch though. Still think it'll be close enough next weekend.

Rois

Quote from: Zulu on July 30, 2016, 10:00:14 PM
You might be right SkillfulBill, Tyrone are certainly a coming team and Mayo have been anything but impressive so far but all the provinces are poor at the moment so Tyrone winning theirs doesn't mean much. That's not to say they won't prove to be a match for the best but suggesting they might fall short is hardly insulting or leftfield though it appears some Tyrone posters disagree.
Not this fan - I think Tyrone have the uphill battle. Mayo are at ease with how they play together - Tyrone needed two goes to beat Cavan and had to alter their game to beat Donegal. We don't know for real how good they can be.

omagh_gael

Quote from: highorlow on July 30, 2016, 09:44:15 PM
Systems failure when game "opens up" for us. Westmeath could have won it if they got their frees.

Still don't like our "system" but ironically it could come good against the Ulster shit football that has infested our game.

In other words Tyrone are incapable of "opening up" any game so I'd be confident enough our muck ball will be better than their muck ball!

You do realise that we have scored 8-61 over our four championship games so far against two division one sides (in 2017) and a division 2 side. In Mayo's last four games you have scored 7-58 against a division four team, a division three team and two division two teams. With three of these games in the qualifiers.

I think a lot of people are being lazy and drawing their assumptions on our play from the Ulster final when we were set up to mirror Donegal. Watch the second half and you'll find even in that game we 'opened up' the game.

I think this has the potential to be the game of the championship and I guarantee you you'll not see Tyrone lateral passing back and forth on the 45 ad nauseam on the 6th.

mrhardyannual

Just in  from the  most bizarre game I have ever watched in Croker. There was a deafening silence at times so that you could hear the players talking to themselves. This was the type of game Mayo hate....   hot favourites and struggling to get started. Andy Moran made all the right moves in second quarter and as against Kildare a short sharp burst with a full press around the field destroyed Westmeath. 12 points clear and then we go to sleep. Never looked in danger of losing. Changes were slow to come and a little baffling in the order they came. Conor O Shea made a good fist of it. Dillon made little impact -- as against Kildare. McLouglinn kept backing away when Westmeath attacked and was often standing on the edge of the square instead of  pushing out on player in possession.

All in all, the qualifiers have been won and we are where we would have expected to be before championship started. Extra games have probably helped management .. if not the supporters. Doubt they will have any bearing on next weeks game which will be a battle royal. Hopefully DOC will be back and Parsons start. Would start Vaughan ahead of Durcan. COC looked sharper. Onwards!

SkillfulBill

Quote from: Rois on July 30, 2016, 10:36:18 PM
Not this fan - I think Tyrone have the uphill battle. Mayo are at ease with how they play together - Tyrone needed two goes to beat Cavan and had to alter their game to beat Donegal. We don't know for real how good they can be.

Going to put my neck out here folks. Not into all this yarra yarra stuff I fully expect and I know most other Tyrone people expect Tyrone to up there performance in Croke Park and take this Mayo side out by the root. The mood in Tyrone will not accept anything else and Harte and the players know it. Tyrone full expect to be facing the Dubs in September and we know the quality off this side. Their is a distinct feeling that this team are coming to its full potential in the next 2-3 years and will add to the All Ireland count.

JoG2

Quote from: SkillfulBill on July 30, 2016, 11:56:48 PM

Going to put my neck out here folks
. Not into all this yarra yarra stuff I fully expect and I know most other Tyrone people expect Tyrone to up there performance in Croke Park and take this Mayo side out by the root. The mood in Tyrone will not accept anything else and Harte and the players know it. Tyrone full expect to be facing the Dubs in September and we know the quality off this side. Their is a distinct feeling that this team are coming to its full potential in the next 2-3 years and will add to the All Ireland count.

You've already predicted a 6+ Tyrone win.  You're like a human giraffe at this stage.  Throw a berocca into you before bed house  :D

SkillfulBill

Quote from: JoG2 on July 31, 2016, 12:05:51 AM
Quote from: SkillfulBill on July 30, 2016, 11:56:48 PM

Going to put my neck out here folks
. Not into all this yarra yarra stuff I fully expect and I know most other Tyrone people expect Tyrone to up there performance in Croke Park and take this Mayo side out by the root. The mood in Tyrone will not accept anything else and Harte and the players know it. Tyrone full expect to be facing the Dubs in September and we know the quality off this side. Their is a distinct feeling that this team are coming to its full potential in the next 2-3 years and will add to the All Ireland count.

You've already predicted a 6+ Tyrone win.  You're like a human giraffe at this stage.  Throw a berocca into you before bed house  :D

Always looking down on the inbred neighbours.

An Fhairche Abu

From a neutral perspective at this this match, if Mayo don't have a massive turn around in the space of a week they haven't a notion of beating Tyrone.
I thought Mayo would eat up teams in the qualifiers, they are only just getting by, Westmeath were in with a punchers chance with only 5 minutes to go, crazy stuff for a team that has designs on Sam.