China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardtole

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on May 16, 2020, 08:48:22 PM
Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 16, 2020, 12:58:24 PM
So South Korea with a 55 million didn't shut down but had a great healthcare and plan in place to deal with it?

They had a full testing and tracing infrastructure in place due to the lessons they learned the hard way from SARS.

If we had the setup of South Korea - then we could do what they've done (which includes making everyone download and use the tracing app for their phones). But we're not. We've idiots in charge being advised by academics. Therefore we have to use a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Bit harsh there radiogaga. South Korea have had a taste of this before and have learnt some lessons. This is new to us and as a society we were not prepared. If there was a similar incident in ten years time I'd hope we would be better prepared. In saying that I think the govt have done a good job and I'm no lover of fg.

armaghniac

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 16, 2020, 07:25:47 PM
Armaghniac I would be on the same page as you for a lot of this but your comment about patients going to hospital... People are scared to go to hospital. It's the most likely place you'll get this thing. It is a recognised by many as a genuine concern and problem.

You took me up wrong. I am an opponent of the false contention that the "lockdown" causes problems for ill other people. Those people are concerned because of the large number of Covid patients in hospital and the signficant amount of people who got it there, this is reasonable as you say. But it is the virus that causes a large number of people in hospital, not the lockdown. The lockdown has to do with closing pubs and the like, this reduces the transmission of the disease and so could benefit people who need to go to hospital. But people who have some financial interest in opening businesses use cancer patients an excuse when in fact they either are not connected or will in fact benefit from the lockdown.

It is the old story, get out a false narrative and rely on that to bring about your true objectives.

Quote from: Itchy on May 16, 2020, 08:09:54 PM
We have brought this virus back and flattened the curve and this was achieved without Masks or temp checks. What is happening now is politicians are moving away from data based science to lets convince everyone its safe to start going back to normal. Maybe they need to do that but I'd rather they would be honest about it instead of convincing fools that a mask will protect them.

That is the point. When everything was closed and people were not going on buses etc then masks were not needed. When things open up and people start moving around then they are needed.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 16, 2020, 08:38:11 PM
I don't believe it's a big as what many people are making it out to be

What a fukkin idiot you are.

To equivalence something that has been around for 4 months* with cancer and believe that's a valid comparison.

*around 1.5 of which has involved shuttering the economy to reduce it's spread.
i usse an speelchekor

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: ardtole on May 16, 2020, 09:01:46 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on May 16, 2020, 08:48:22 PM
Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 16, 2020, 12:58:24 PM
So South Korea with a 55 million didn't shut down but had a great healthcare and plan in place to deal with it?

They had a full testing and tracing infrastructure in place due to the lessons they learned the hard way from SARS.

If we had the setup of South Korea - then we could do what they've done (which includes making everyone download and use the tracing app for their phones). But we're not. We've idiots in charge being advised by academics. Therefore we have to use a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Bit harsh there radiogaga. South Korea have had a taste of this before and have learnt some lessons. This is new to us and as a society we were not prepared. If there was a similar incident in ten years time I'd hope we would be better prepared. In saying that I think the govt have done a good job and I'm no lover of fg.

I wouldn't expect us to be as slick as South Korea.

At the same time, given the warnings coming from Asia in January and given the clear and present danger presented in Italy in Feburary, repeating their mistakes in March can only bring the strongest condemnation of the abilities of those in government and advising policy on the matter.
i usse an speelchekor

J70

Quote from: HiMucker on May 16, 2020, 05:06:13 PM
Quote from: Itchy on May 16, 2020, 02:31:33 PM
In the Bundesliga on tv at moment, players on field crashing into each other with no masks. Subs on bench, sit 2 meters apart but all have to wear masks. I think this shows the truth about masks, a gimmick to make us feel safe rather than be safe.
This is typical of this discussion board. Your coming out with this because of the view you had on people who wore masks at the start, that they were depriving front line NHS workers of masks. Which wasnt actually the case, but I understand why the government didn't want to tell people to wear them until they had their supply chain sorted. Your doubling down now. The evidence is irrefutable that they prevent  spread. Posters have tried to explain to you why that is, but you have chose to ignore that rather than admit you may have got it wrong. Your saying that it is a gimmick while at the same time I bet you cough in to your sleeve or elbow and away from people? Do you not see the contradiction there?

I have been consistent on this and the advise coming from the experts in this country was also consistent up until last week. Masks have a place, for front line workers and on busy subways etc. However they also give people a false sense of security causing them to relax social distancing. I don't recall the Irish government once mentioning Mask supply chain as a reason not wear them. You will see masks being fidgeted with and adjusted. Tell me if they are so key a protector why are so many health care workers getting infected? I suppose yuo believe that temp checks at airports will be an effective means to stop infection across borders too.

We have brought this virus back and flattened the curve and this was achieved without Masks or temp checks. What is happening now is politicians are moving away from data based science to lets convince everyone its safe to start going back to normal. Maybe they need to do that but I'd rather they would be honest about it instead of convincing fools that a mask will protect them.

Can you return to my previous post, do you think there is any point German players sitting on the subs bench 2m apart should be wearing masks. If you think it is sensible maybe you could explain why. If you think it is not sensible maybe you could hazard a guess at why they were asked to wear them?

I already responded to you on this but you ignored it.

The dose of virus you get is a key factor. The longer and more closely two people are around each other, the greater the chance of one infecting the other as more virus will be shed by one and inhaled by the other.

Yes, two meters is where they're generally drawing the line for social distancing and advising the use of masks where it is not possible, but given that these lads are going to be sitting next to each other for 45 minutes or more each half, even if spaced out two meters, it is probably a good idea to keep the masks on. Especially as there has been some opinion out there that the two meter/six foot threshold may be insufficient anyway.

Smurfy123

Jesus radio are you the only person with an opinion!
Idiot?
Really radio pull your horns in

Itchy

Quote from: armaghniac on May 16, 2020, 09:04:25 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on May 16, 2020, 07:25:47 PM
Armaghniac I would be on the same page as you for a lot of this but your comment about patients going to hospital... People are scared to go to hospital. It's the most likely place you'll get this thing. It is a recognised by many as a genuine concern and problem.

You took me up wrong. I am an opponent of the false contention that the "lockdown" causes problems for ill other people. Those people are concerned because of the large number of Covid patients in hospital and the signficant amount of people who got it there, this is reasonable as you say. But it is the virus that causes a large number of people in hospital, not the lockdown. The lockdown has to do with closing pubs and the like, this reduces the transmission of the disease and so could benefit people who need to go to hospital. But people who have some financial interest in opening businesses use cancer patients an excuse when in fact they either are not connected or will in fact benefit from the lockdown.

It is the old story, get out a false narrative and rely on that to bring about your true objectives.

That is the point. When everything was closed and people were not going on buses etc then masks were not needed. When things open up and people start moving around then they are needed.

On buses  subway perhaps. Out walking your dog or going to the shop no. I've been at work every day since this broke along with 300 others, no masks and 2 confirmed cases is all. Anything that endangers social distancing is not good

Rudi

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 16, 2020, 09:26:52 PM
Idiot?

Would ya stop the man has studied Stroud from top to bottom, his knowledge of exponential curves is unparalleled. That gives him full rights to call you or anyone who has an alternative opinion  a fuukin idiot, even medical experts.

HiMucker

Quote from: HiMucker on May 16, 2020, 05:06:13 PM
Quote from: Itchy on May 16, 2020, 02:31:33 PM
In the Bundesliga on tv at moment, players on field crashing into each other with no masks. Subs on bench, sit 2 meters apart but all have to wear masks. I think this shows the truth about masks, a gimmick to make us feel safe rather than be safe.
This is typical of this discussion board. Your coming out with this because of the view you had on people who wore masks at the start, that they were depriving front line NHS workers of masks. Which wasnt actually the case, but I understand why the government didn't want to tell people to wear them until they had their supply chain sorted. Your doubling down now. The evidence is irrefutable that they prevent  spread. Posters have tried to explain to you why that is, but you have chose to ignore that rather than admit you may have got it wrong. Your saying that it is a gimmick while at the same time I bet you cough in to your sleeve or elbow and away from people? Do you not see the contradiction there?

I have been consistent on this and the advise coming from the experts in this country was also consistent up until last week. Masks have a place, for front line workers and on busy subways etc. However they also give people a false sense of security causing them to relax social distancing. I don't recall the Irish government once mentioning Mask supply chain as a reason not wear them. You will see masks being fidgeted with and adjusted. Tell me if they are so key a protector why are so many health care workers getting infected? I suppose yuo believe that temp checks at airports will be an effective means to stop infection across borders too.

Can you return to my previous post, do you think there is any point German players sitting on the subs bench 2m apart should be wearing masks. If you think it is sensible maybe you could explain why. If you think it is not sensible maybe you could hazard a guess at why they were asked to wear them?
I do think it is sensible. I think it's a relatively  low expense  precaution  to help prevent spread. I take your point that the players in the pitch do not have the same precautions, but the work place is a needs must in many ways. Same as my own workplace . I'll leave it to others to judge whether the Bundesliga should be back playing, but that decision ultimately had buy in from all the relevant stake holders.
Btw the way you haven't answered my question on the coughing in to the elbow/sleeve. If you deem this necessary why would a mask not be a sufficient step above that?

naka

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on May 16, 2020, 09:00:45 PM
Quote from: naka on May 16, 2020, 06:30:02 PM
https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/05/15/we-could-open-up-again-and-forget-the-whole-thing/
Interesting alternative view

That guys a fuckin' idiot. Ignore it.

All his bullshit and blathering stops when you look at a case mortality rate of >10% in Lombardy.

His shares are probably nosediving.
Chuckling his shares might be nose diving
My business is at car crash level with 56 employees
Ohh and I have a personal guarantee that might just wipe my house out too
We really fked up the economy
The gmfall out night actually be worse

HiMucker

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 16, 2020, 08:51:39 PM
What about Georgia in America? Cases gone down in 3 weeks? Everyone telling them including myself it was mad
I don't mean to be rude but your a f**king a idiot

Smurfy123

f**k sorry to hear that naka
Stick at it buddy stick at it
Keep the head
Hi mucker can you explain?

J70

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 16, 2020, 08:51:39 PM
What about Georgia in America? Cases gone down in 3 weeks? Everyone telling them including myself it was mad

I'd give it another couple of weeks before declaring victory there, their curve is fairly flat, albeit slightly downwards, in terms of deaths and new cases. The virus has an incubation period of up to two weeks, while serious illness often takes a week or so to develop after first symptoms.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/georgia-coronavirus-cases.html#map

RadioGAAGAA

Idiot?

No doubt yer telling people outside of the board its all a load of crap and someday, someone, somewhere might do something stupid based off talking to you.

Obviously posting up information over the past few months hasn't got through your skull - so maybe calling you a fukkin idiot will.
i usse an speelchekor

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Rudi on May 16, 2020, 10:16:46 PM
Idiot?

Would ya stop the man has studied Stroud from top to bottom, his knowledge of exponential curves is unparalleled. That gives him full rights to call you or anyone who has an alternative opinion  a fuukin idiot, even medical experts.

Sure your the clown that posted this up:

QuotePeoples immune systems will become compromised greatly by all this hand washing,  wearing of masks and social distancing in general.

I've seen 10 year olds with better understand of immune systems than that.
i usse an speelchekor