Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

ANOTHER U turn by the Government...

It's the right thing to do but why can't they arrive at these decisions in the first place??!!

David McKeown

I see Wales are now to regrade to predicted grades making it even more unfair on kids here if things don't change and they have to compete through clearance. Big pressure on now
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Square Ball

So, when/if they go to predicted grades what happens to pupils who diddnt get into university due to lower grades? Will there be more places made available? You just can't throw others out of a class cus others have fooked up.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Milltown Row2

Quote from: David McKeown on August 17, 2020, 02:48:31 PM
I see Wales are now to regrade to predicted grades making it even more unfair on kids here if things don't change and they have to compete through clearance. Big pressure on now

Is that with A level results also?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Square Ball on August 17, 2020, 03:07:51 PM
So, when/if they go to predicted grades what happens to pupils who diddnt get into university due to lower grades? Will there be more places made available? You just can't throw others out of a class cus others have fooked up.

They wont get them, have already asked Queens about this the other day and admissions stated that anyone that got an unconditional offer they would keep their spot regardless of the grades they ended up with! So basically, tough
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

David McKeown

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 17, 2020, 03:12:03 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on August 17, 2020, 02:48:31 PM

Is that with A level results also?

Yes

thewobbler

Quote from: screenexile on August 17, 2020, 02:36:18 PM
ANOTHER U turn by the Government...

It's the right thing to do but why can't they arrive at these decisions in the first place??!!

My guess:

No matter what system was implemented there was going to be a public outcry; disgusted parents, distraught children, horror stories, mental health problems with teenagers, etc.

This is because there is no combination of human observation and machine computations  can predict with any degree of certainty how a teenager will react to extended study and the pressure of exams.

The government know this. And they also know that logistically and economically, there  isn't the time to re-institute exams for this cohort.

So they pulled a classic stroke.

First send out results using a system that gets people's backs up extraordinarily. Wait for the inevitable backlash. Then, regrade everyone using the least unfair method (predicted grades). Everyone will then understand that the less unfair system (while still full of holes) isn't as evil as the alternatives. And the vast majority of people can and will move onto the next step, without further complaint.

There will be legal wrangling in a small minority of cases for years, but the wheels of society can continue to turn.

It's a clever way to solve the unsolvable.

David McKeown

I think you give far too much credit to the Government there and the collateral damage such a system has caused is unconscionable so I hope you are wrong.

I see England have now followed Wales and Scotland's leads. Surely No position is now untenable.

thewobbler

Quote from: David McKeown on August 17, 2020, 03:32:35 PM
I think you give far too much credit to the Government there and the collateral damage such a system has caused is unconscionable so I hope you are wrong.

I see England have now followed Wales and Scotland's leads. Surely No position is now untenable.

Maybe I am David. But there was was always going to be collateral damage once subjectivity was allowed to play a part in assessment.

Had they went predicted grades first, then social media and gutter journalism would have been a witch hunt against teachers. So the govt would have had to bear the brunt of both pupils and teachers being collateral damage.

The teacher witch hunt will still happen now, but on a much lesser scale. The algorithm will remain the villain of the piece. Most people will now just get on with it. It's the smart play.

David McKeown

Associated press reporting Weir has u turned.

David McKeown

Quote from: thewobbler on August 17, 2020, 03:43:42 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on August 17, 2020, 03:32:35 PM

Maybe I am David. But there was was always going to be collateral damage once subjectivity was allowed to play a part in assessment.

Had they went predicted grades first, then social media and gutter journalism would have been a witch hunt against teachers. So the govt would have had to bear the brunt of both pupils and teachers being collateral damage.

The teacher witch hunt will still happen now, but on a much lesser scale. The algorithm will remain the villain of the piece. Most people will now just get on with it. It's the smart play.

I get the point you are making and it was a very real concern for a number of the teachers I've spoken to recently. I just really hope they didn't massively impact kids lives in order to climb down after the damage was done.

ONeill

In a lock of years, ask the pilot when he did his A Levels.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

FermGael

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

johnnycool

Quote from: ONeill on August 17, 2020, 04:45:18 PM
In a lock of years, ask the pilot when he did his A Levels.

A levels aside your pilot will still have pass all the same flying tests irrespective of what year they sat A levels.

The Universities it seems are all having emergency meetings to see what their next steps are.

This is going to be some clusterfxxk and IF Universities are given more leeway in increasing their intakes it will be interesting to see how many students drop out early on in their courses.

ONeill

Aye, I was only joking like.

Excellent points though.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.