Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

I think they do "highers" and go to university a year earlier than you do here so would be left before 18.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 11, 2020, 12:45:48 PM
In other news, the results are coming out this Thursday for the A level students

Going by the complete fcuk up in Scotland it seems that there may be similar issues here..

My kids are both waiting on results A level's and GCSE .. The teachers have put a huge amount of time into getting the 'correct' results based on previous tests like AS's and so on, but the problem in Scotland seems to be the that they don't have the same testing method as we do here for A level students? Are tests in Scotland carried out in lower 6th?
Prior performance of the school is part of their algorithm which seems to be a key issue. My eldest is waiting on GCSEs and to be honest it could be a mixed bag as like most boys especially, he had the brains but coasted and was expecting to cram and do well in 5th year. Back-fired this year but I'm not massively concerned as it's GCSE and therfore a stepping stone to A Level. Could be massive issues for A Level pupils.

johnnycool

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 11, 2020, 01:58:53 PM
In other news, the results are coming out this Thursday for the A level students

Going by the complete fcuk up in Scotland it seems that there may be similar issues here..

My kids are both waiting on results A level's and GCSE .. The teachers have put a huge amount of time into getting the 'correct' results based on previous tests like AS's and so on, but the problem in Scotland seems to be the that they don't have the same testing method as we do here for A level students? Are tests in Scotland carried out in lower 6th?
Prior performance of the school is part of their algorithm which seems to be a key issue. My eldest is waiting on GCSEs and to be honest it could be a mixed bag as like most boys especially, he had the brains but coasted and was expecting to cram and do well in 5th year. Back-fired this year but I'm not massively concerned as it's GCSE and therfore a stepping stone to A Level. Could be massive issues for A Level pupils.

Is there not something similar in operation here as well?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on August 11, 2020, 02:20:05 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 11, 2020, 01:58:53 PM

Is there not something similar in operation here as well?

Yes there was, and if that's the case my daughter will be happy if that's happening
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Estimator

Yeah, it appears prior performance is part of the moderation process that needs to take place. CCEA have already said that before their intervention top grades had increased by 10%, on a normal year it would probably be between 1-2%.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Estimator on August 11, 2020, 03:13:06 PM
Yeah, it appears prior performance is part of the moderation process that needs to take place. CCEA have already said that before their intervention top grades had increased by 10%, on a normal year it would probably be between 1-2%.

What percentage is given towards previous results from the school and what percentage is given from the predicted grades given by the teacher?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Estimator

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 11, 2020, 03:28:48 PM

What percentage is given towards previous results from the school and what percentage is given from the predicted grades given by the teacher?

CCEA Chief Exec wasn't giving anything away on Nolan yesterday morning about the weightings on all the different criteria being used. But he did say grades could go up or down based on that.

The Scots have rowed back now. All results to revert back to teachers initial grades.
Ulster League Champions 2009

screenexile

Quote from: Estimator on August 11, 2020, 03:31:48 PM

CCEA Chief Exec wasn't giving anything away on Nolan yesterday morning about the weightings on all the different criteria being used. But he did say grades could go up or down based on that.

The Scots have rowed back now. All results to revert back to teachers initial grades.

So teachers who can get bonussed on grades can now decide for themselves??!!

Some can of worms this is!!

Champion The Wonder Horse

A Level grades are based in the main on AS grades with some uplift from expected AS repeats.

AS grades are based in the main on average GCSE grades.

GCSE grades are based in the main on 3 years' outcomes from same school, with each year weighted (2019 results given heavier weighting).

Statistical tests have shown a high correlation when 2019 results were tested. Though high could be close to moderate and isn't very high.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: screenexile on August 11, 2020, 03:34:26 PM
Quote from: Estimator on August 11, 2020, 03:31:48 PM

So teachers who can get bonussed on grades can now decide for themselves??!!

Some can of worms this is!!

What schools are giving bonus's?

FermGael

Tomorrow is going to be a complete shambles.
English boards have left predicted grades alone but not CCEA. They know better than the teachers ......

I have no doubt that CCEA have downgraded Secondary pupils but left Grammar pupils as predicted.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

FermGael

It's CCEA.
One of the reasons many schools have moved to English boards over the last decade.

Grammar schools results over a three year average are alot more consistent than secondary school results.
Secondary school results flucate alot more.
It's one of the reasons why using an algorithm based on a three years average was a bad idea.

FermGael

Can't see any school being silly enough to try that if there grades are that consistent. Where the grading is that consistent the algorithm will work. Alot of grammars get that consistency because they have creamed the top of at 11

But i know of several secondary schools whose three year results would have fluctuated by +/- 15 % of their three year average over those 3 years. So for example you have 63% , 75% and 54% for example. That gives you a three year average of 64%.
You have predicted this year to be say 73% as you know you have a strong group of pupils. The computer has said no.

As for CCEA they have all ready stayed that they have reduced the grades by 10%.
I can guarantee what sector it will hit hardest.

Milltown Row2

I doubt there will be any sleep in my house Tonight  :(

FermGael

And so it begins ....

Tweet from St Cecilias in Derry:
@tgeducation 13% of our A2 pupils have received grades LOWER than their AS grades. How is this 'fair' and then comparable to other parts of the Uk? @peterweirmla @JustinEducation