The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Arne to Slot right in?

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: laoislad on February 21, 2020, 09:11:31 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on February 21, 2020, 07:59:03 AM
Quote from: rodney trotter on February 21, 2020, 02:14:33 AM
They should be looking to emulate the United 99 treble season . United won the title that year on 79 pts. Liverpool are currently on 76 pts . Its been argued that its not a strong Pl this season. Liverpool going unbeaten in the League would be a big achievement though.

I'm nearly sure fergies highest ever total was 92pts or there abouts. In 2016 Leicester got 81pts and won the league by 10 points. This is not a weak league, the last few years has been the strongest league there's ever been.
4 European Finalists last season and all clubs still involved in Europe this season... not bad going for clubs from such a weak league...

Whatever suits your narrative I suppose, the CL is the only show in town regarding Europe, Spurs will be out after getting bate at home, City aint playing great lately, and any league that has a difference of 22 points between 1st and 2nd would seem (to any neutrals anyway) to be poor enough, what was the difference between 2nd and third last year?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

rodney trotter

They should be looking to emulate the United 99 treble season . United won the title that year on 79 pts. Liverpool are currently on 76 pts . Its been argued that its not a strong Pl this season. Liverpool going unbeaten in the League would be a big achievement though.

I'm nearly sure fergies highest ever total was 92pts or there abouts. In 2016 Leicester got 81pts and won the league by 10 points. This is not a weak league, the last few years has been the strongest league there's ever been.
4 European Finalists last season and all clubs still involved in Europe this season... not bad going for clubs from such a weak league...

The Premier League is the wealthiest League in Europe through the Sky money, so would be something wrong if the English Clubs  weren't performing in Europe. The 2 finalists from last season Liverpool and Spurs beaten in the first Leg.

Milltown Row2

Just seen a video on Liverpool's new training facilities at Kirby, outstanding
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

TabClear

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2020/02/how-roberto-firmino-went-from-worst-ever-at-hoffenheim-to-pressing-machine/

Not sure if this should be here or in the WTF thread!

How Roberto Firmino went from "worst ever" at Hoffenheim to pressing machine

In a remarkable turn of events, Liverpool's tireless Roberto Firmino produced "the worst numbers ever seen" in terms of endurance when he joined Hoffenheim. It is incredible to consider, given his role under Jurgen Klopp, but upon his move to Germany from Brazil in 2011, Firmino was far from the pressing machine he is today. Ernst Tanner, then sporting director at Hoffenheim, has revealed in a feature for Bleacher Report that the striker's results in early physical tests were "even worse than my grandma." "You should have seen the data that we got on him when he was coming for the first time," Tanner, who was also central to bringing Sadio Mane and Naby Keita to Red Bull Salzburg, said.

"In Germany, we usually do these endurance tests, blood ones, which are pretty accurate, you know, and he had the worst numbers I have ever seen in professional football.

"I would say to emphasise that he was even worse than my grandma. You can't imagine."They were so low that you couldn't even believe that he was ever able to play professional football."

For Liverpool fans, this is almost unbelievable, with Firmino relentless as the trigger for Klopp's press, often finding himself defending on the edge of his own penalty area as much as he drives into the opponent's. In December, the manager described him as "the connector for our team," with Firmino central to the Reds' approach in defence and attack, and, as an example of his multifaceted brilliance, notably from throw-ins.

There is no player quite like Firmino in world football, and it is clear he has developed immeasurably since his first days at Hoffenheim. Tanner attributes that to his mentality, recalling he was "so convinced about his abilities and even more so by his attitude."

"When I saw how the coach criticised him [in training with Figueirense], he was like a schoolboy standing there and listening to his teacher. I still have that picture in my brain," he continued.

"I thought to myself after an hour that if that coach had done that to a German player, he would head straight to the locker room totally pissed off, but Firmino took the criticism well."He tried to improve, to do better. That was really impressive."

No doubt Klopp would agree, with Firmino his most-used player at Liverpool (223 games), and the seventh most-used in his managerial career; the sixth most-used in terms of minutes played (17,175).

That he has played at least 3,670 more minutes than any other Reds player during Klopp's reign is testament to his endurance, particularly given his full-throttle approach. Quite the turnaround from "worse than my grandma" at Hoffenheim!

Kingdom37

Has been worse premier division on years. Most Liverpool games over after 10 minutes. Atletico are a dogged side and give pool anything handy. Expect that to change at Anfield in 2 weeks

thewobbler

Quote from: Kingdom37 on February 24, 2020, 06:59:34 PM

Has been worse premier division on years. Most Liverpool games over after 10 minutes. Atletico are a dogged side and give pool anything handy. Expect that to change at Anfield in 2 weeks

Out of curiosity, can you suggest what would have been considered a high quality EPL season, and what it was that made it such a high quality?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: thewobbler on February 24, 2020, 07:37:56 PM
Quote from: Kingdom37 on February 24, 2020, 06:59:34 PM

Out of curiosity, can you suggest what would have been considered a high quality EPL season, and what it was that made it such a high quality?

Last year was good, right to the wire and the the English team won the top competition in Europe, though the gap between the top two last year was big also. This year has been a procession from the start as the main teams folded against mediocre teams!

Kingdom37

Wasnt easy tonight.Moss gave pool nothing tonight

laoislad

Tough game that, which is to be expected in such a competitive league...

Anyways.....

More wins....
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

screenexile

Quote from: Kingdom37 on February 24, 2020, 09:53:17 PM
Wasnt easy tonight.Moss gave pool nothing tonight

Pfffft Salah should have been booked for a dive!!!

Armamike

That's just, like your opinion man.

From the Bunker

Quote from: laoislad on February 24, 2020, 09:55:05 PM
Tough game that, which is to be expected in such a competitive league...

Anyways.....

More wins....

I like to drag it out 1-9-1.  :P

Ambrose

Assuming we aren't all wiped out by the coronavirus, when can we expect to be presented with the league trophy and when wil the parade be? Will it be the last home game or do they present the trophy as soon as it's mathematically impossible for anyone else to win it?
You can't live off history and tradition forever

Gabriel_Hurl

Parade wouldn't be until after they wrap up the FA Cup and Champions League  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)