On the road to Croker - Kerry 2011

Started by Kerry Mike, May 19, 2011, 09:34:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerry Mike

The Championship season throws in on Sunday against Tipperary for Kerry who have had a good spring, 2 narrow one point losses to Cork and Dublin early in the league were put behind us as we won our 5 other games and narrowly missed out on a League final spot, but its been quite and productive time from the Kerry camp with a weekend in portugal hopefully produciing good results,

The team for Sunday has no major surprises with the possible exception of Paul Galvin who has had a injury recently. the format tried in the league with Marc OSe at full back and Eoin Brosnan in the centre continues and Anthony Maher and Bryan Sheehan again man the Midfield, David Moran being a big loss her efor us but Mike Quirke is back in the panel as cover along with Seamus Scanlon.
The forwards line out as expected, with Kieran O'Leary getting the start in the corner. With the Tipp minors beting us last night and their U21's beating us last year this game on Sunday should not be viewed as a walkover, Tipp have made great strides under John Evans recently and will be a tough nut to crack this weekend and any complacency on the Kingdoms part could be fatal.

From the Examiner:
EOIN Brosnan will make his first appearance in championship football since the 2009 Munster semi-final replay, in next Sunday's provincial quarter-final against Tipperary after being named at centre-back in the Kingdom starting fifteen last night.

Manager Jack O'Connor has selected the Dr Crokes player in one of four changes from the team that lost out to Down in last July's All-Ireland quarter-final. Brosnan replaces the retired Mike McCarthy, while Tomás Ó Sé, who missed that Down match through suspension, returns instead of Tommy Griffin.

There is a new midfield partnership in Anthony Maher and Brian Sheehan with Kieran O'Leary drafted in at corner-forward. Seamus Scanlon and Micheal Quirke are named amongst the substitutes while Paul Galvin who has battled a hamstring injury recently is also set to start on the bench.

KERRY (SF v Tipperary): B Kealy; K Young, M Ó'Sé, T O'Sullivan; T Ó'Sé, E Brosnan, A O'Mahony; A Maher, B Sheehan; Darran O'Sullivan, Declan O'Sullivan, D Walsh; C Cooper, K Donaghy, K O'Leary.

Subs: T Mac an tSaoir, S Scanlon, P Galvin, BJ Keane, M Quirke, P Reidy, D Bohane, S Enright, D Geaney, A O'Connell, N O'Mahony.

2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

5 Sams

Bit of a shocker for the minors last night Mike... :o
The Aristocrat Years

Kerry Mike

QuoteBit of a shocker for the minors last night Mike...

Indeed 11 points up and still lose is not good, something not right in our Minor and U21 teams the last few years. Hopefully the Seniors can keep our flag flying.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

AZOffaly

Quote from: Kerry Mike on May 19, 2011, 10:26:29 AM

Indeed 11 points up and still lose is not good, something not right in our Minor and U21 teams the last few years. Hopefully the Seniors can keep our flag flying.

Kerry haven't won a minor since 1994. All they want is to unearth two or three players every year. When they don't do that it's time to worry.

CorkMan

All dislke and biase aside I think Kerry are an aging team and won't do much this summer

outinfrontpod

With the forwards they have they'll take a bit of stopping!! Midfield could be the weakness.

Blowitupref

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 19, 2011, 10:28:35 AM

Kerry haven't won a minor since 1994. All they want is to unearth two or three players every year. When they don't do that it's time to worry.

True about the minors however Kerry got plenty of Senior players from the under 21 success in the 90s

Quote from: CorkMan on May 19, 2011, 09:02:32 PM
All dislke and biase aside I think Kerry are an aging team and won't do much this summer

Brave words before a potential trip to Killarney.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

CorkMan

Brave words before a potential trip to Killarney.
[/quote]
Well I'm a brave man :D

muppet

Quotewith the possible exception of Paul Galvin who has had a injury recently.

Apparently he has a fractured hat. Out for one weekly.

Kerry won't be far away. Avoid Cork (outside Munster) and Tyrone and they make the Final. Make the Final and they will bate anyone (except Mayo who won't show up).
MWWSI 2017

outinfrontpod

Interview with Bomber Liston on Cork, Kerry, the whole shebang, here:

Available now free in the iTunes store, or follow this link http://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/out-in-front/id434121461

Redhand Santa

Maybe I'm being harsh but that Kerry team doesnt look overly strong. The All Ireland really could be wide open this year.

INDIANA

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 19, 2011, 10:28:35 AM

I agree. I think too much is made of minor personally.

Bernard Brogan never played minor for Dublin and he's done ok.

However its a while since Kerry unearthed a really top class player.

They are very fortunate most of the 15 are in their mid-20's.

I'd say some on the ground there are getting a bit concerned

INDIANA

Quote from: Redhand Santa on May 19, 2011, 10:10:05 PM
Maybe I'm being harsh but that Kerry team doesnt look overly strong. The All Ireland really could be wide open this year.

Gooch
Donaghy
Dec Sull
Darren Sul
Walsh and Galvin to come back.

That is still some forward line.

David Moran could be the big loss.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: INDIANA on May 19, 2011, 10:22:45 PM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on May 19, 2011, 10:10:05 PM

Gooch
Donaghy
Dec Sull
Darren Sul
Walsh and Galvin to come back.

That is still some forward line.

David Moran could be the big loss.

The forward line is ok its the rest of team I would have doubts over. Backed up by fact that 2 players who's heart and work rate were questioned back in 2008 now occupying central roles in the team.

orangeman

Kerry will love all the doubters.

Like Indy, I reckon that the Kerry forward line will give most defences a run for their money.

2 O'Sés in the defence isn't bad start either.