?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

allseasons

Quote from: Silver hill on March 01, 2023, 03:08:06 PM
If u18 was introduced this year instead of u17s, would one not just replace the other in the calendar or am I missing something here?
With split season club championship now runs roughly from mid july to September.
U17 can run alongside this as all u17s are all ineligible to play senior.
If minor moves to U18 it cant realistically run alongside senior as those in their last year at this age would now be eligible for senior.

This is why I asked our friend keyser when in the calendar he would fit in this age group

Silver hill

Fair point.
Tyrone and Armagh moved straight ti u18 this year, what have they done to overcome that same issue?

Keyser soze

Quote from: allseasons on March 01, 2023, 07:24:51 PM
Quote from: Silver hill on March 01, 2023, 03:08:06 PM
If u18 was introduced this year instead of u17s, would one not just replace the other in the calendar or am I missing something here?
With split season club championship now runs roughly from mid july to September.
U17 can run alongside this as all u17s are all ineligible to play senior.
If minor moves to U18 it cant realistically run alongside senior as those in their last year at this age would now be eligible for senior.

This is why I asked our friend keyser when in the calendar he would fit in this age group

The same f**king place it has always been in the calendar, you silly *****.

oakleaflad

Quote from: oakleaflad on February 28, 2023, 10:20:07 AM
Can anyone tell me why they believe the even numbers is a better option? I know it's popular on twitter and the likes but the odd age groups seem to work much better for me given the transition from primary school (doesn't leave a big gap from U11.5 to U14) and the extension to U19 gives everyone at school age the ability to play underage football (U18 would mean half in last year of school would miss out). Are there obvious reasons or counterarguments to my points that i'm missing?
Can anyone answer the above. My question isn't when you'd play U18 but why? The odd numbers seem to work much better from what I can tell unless i'm missing something (which is very possible).

Estimator

Quote from: oakleaflad on March 02, 2023, 09:27:08 AM
Quote from: oakleaflad on February 28, 2023, 10:20:07 AM
Can anyone tell me why they believe the even numbers is a better option? I know it's popular on twitter and the likes but the odd age groups seem to work much better for me given the transition from primary school (doesn't leave a big gap from U11.5 to U14) and the extension to U19 gives everyone at school age the ability to play underage football (U18 would mean half in last year of school would miss out). Are there obvious reasons or counterarguments to my points that i'm missing?
Can anyone answer the above. My question isn't when you'd play U18 but why? The odd numbers seem to work much better from what I can tell unless i'm missing something (which is very possible).

I'd suggest that its due to drop out percentage at the end of U17.

You've lads in lower sixth (ie finished their GCSE's in 2022), who have a bad birthday, and their only real option now is playing senior football. Only those players confident in themselves and their ability, or are being pushed in that direction, would be togging out with the reserves/seniors.

I know, if that was me at that age, that would've been me done with football. Was neither big enough nor good enough, at that age. (Some might argue that was still the case a few years later)

Clubs haven't/don't take the U19 seriously at all. Many clubs don't see the point in having a team at that age group, with half of them at uni, and wouldn't be travelling home for training/matches in a league that isn't taken seriously. As a said above there will be those in that age bracket who will be good enough to be playing and training with the senior/reserve teams, and would prioritise that.

Obviously, a certain percentage of players have always been lost to the likes of Thursday night at the Bot. But an extra year of playing with the lads that you go to school, or grew up with might bring on a few of those players and keep them involved with the club for longer.
Ulster League Champions 2009

quit yo jibbajabba

Great result good character comin back against a big team. Great atmosphere in celtic park by sounds of things.

Lachlan Murray switch to the Swa?! Never heard that one...

screenexile

Lads that was f**king class!!

We're back!

HiMucker

Brilliant! Some game especially 2nd half. I honestly think the dubs are the team to best this year, so thats an amazing game to get under the belt. Dorie AbĂș!

Bring back club football

Quote from: screenexile on March 04, 2023, 08:10:29 PM

We're back!

Typical Derry.

Win a division two league game against a team not next nor near their previous imperious best and your back  ;D

screenexile

Back in division 1 lad!! I doubt we can f**k it up from here!

tbrick18

Class result, brilliant atmosphere in that second half.
We are a team to challenge most out there now. The way we turned around a pedestrian first half performance into that 2nd half performance was unreal.
Subs made a huge impact, Rogers was class, Rory G didnt put a foot wrong. Though I did question why Toner came back on with a minute or two to go - seemed strange.
Onwards and upwards lads!

Wildweasel74

It's a kick in the face to some of the other subs, Cassidy or McCarron should been brought on instead of Toner. It end up a situation like J Doherty not getting any game time last year and lads leave the panel, which is already bare thin already. We got no reliable right footed free taker, plus 45 or long range frees, we one of the few teams who keeper doesn't hit them.

markl121

Quote from: Bring back club football on March 04, 2023, 11:13:20 PM
Quote from: screenexile on March 04, 2023, 08:10:29 PM

We're back!

Typical Derry.

Win a division two league game against a team not next nor near their previous imperious best and your back  ;D
and ulster champions and all Ireland semi last year....

Red10

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 05, 2023, 01:28:34 PM
It's a kick in the face to some of the other subs, Cassidy or McCarron should been brought on instead of Toner. It end up a situation like J Doherty not getting any game time last year and lads leave the panel, which is already bare thin already. We got no reliable right footed free taker, plus 45 or long range frees, we one of the few teams who keeper doesn't hit them.

Yeah for all the positives of that second half Gallagher isn't showing much faith in the squad he has. Toner works hard he had a poor enough game and hardly warranted coming back on.  It could come back to bite those sort of decisions. Jack Doherty is a loss from that squad.

Derry Optimist

Re yesterday's game. As everyone has said Derry were poor in the first half. I think that the main reason for this was that in the previous League games the reason that Derry won rather comfortably  was because those previous opponents were of a much inferior quality to Dublin.

Having played at a higher level for so many years Dublin  brought a much more intense and faster physical and mental application to the game. In the first half Derry were ultra cautious, stood off Dublin and allowed them to transition very quickly. Thus Dublin controlled the first half.

However, Derry rectified this problem at half time and were much  more intense in the whole of the second half. What made the biggest change was the introduction of Gareth McKinless   after half time. His repertoire of skills changed the course of the game. He was able to run at the Dublin defence, break the tackle  and pressurise the whole defence. Thus the monotonous predictability of interplay which Derry had persisted with in the first half was gone. It must also be emphasised that bringing on both Oisin McWilliams and Lachlan Murray also added variety and most importantly scoring power to the Derry attack. The end result of this was that we had a magnificent second half spectacle resulting in a brilliant, though somewhat lucky win.

To quote another good poster friend what a team we would have if we had Ciaran McFaul,Calum Brown, Jack Doherty and a fit Enda Downey on the panel. They would add much greater strength and depth to the squad. Getting back to the first half Derry misssed three easy frees, an open goal, had two bad wides as against Dublin's two . This highlights another weakness in the side . That is scoring accuracy especially an absence of right footed freetakers and long distance freetakers. Anyhow congratulations to all players and the management on out upward trajectory. It is fun going to see Derry games now. To see all seats gone in Celtic Park yesterday at 4.15pm was a very welcome change from only a few years ago. Rory Gallagher has definitely been the catalyst for all of that. He has maximised the huge potential of some marvellous talented individuals into a very good team.