Feile an Phobail

Started by StGallsGAA, August 11, 2016, 11:16:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

If casement were rebuilt then I don't think the likes of wolfe tones would be there if it attracted this kind of publicity. Ground would be owned by ulster council and I suspect they would want to avoid that kind of PR.

Kidder81

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on August 15, 2022, 12:04:57 PM
Quote from: Kidder81 on August 15, 2022, 11:46:51 AM
Quote from: theskull1 on August 15, 2022, 11:37:16 AM
Sadly theres too much money to be made for venues when they book these artists. Republican leaders need to speak to this and move what it is to be a republican to a different way of being (and banish this sort of stuff to the past) IF they are interested in bringing as many people with them on the UI journey...... I thought that was what it was all about  :-\

These events will all be in Casement if/when it's rebuilt
Wouldn't that be seen as the cherry on the Republican terrorist cake, hosting it in a ground named after Roger Casement?

Yeah but I think it's a certainty Feile events will be based there when it's rebuilt with Feile more than likely based there too, it's fairly obvious to anyone that has been paying attention the last few years of the "get Casement built" era

Walter Cronc

One sure thing is they will go all out to ensure Casement doesn't receive any additional funding to get it built to the approved design. Little sympathy for the GAA suits mind you.

screenexile

Suspended pending an investigation

https://www.larnefc.com/club-statement-john-herron/

What exactly are they investigating??

imtommygunn

Quote from: screenexile on August 15, 2022, 12:24:24 PM

This is Larne he's playing in. The one with the crown roundabout and the banner saying "welcome to loyalist larne" as you go into it. For his own personal safety he'd be as well just call it quits with them now.

brokencrossbar1

As an event with public funding there should be more checks and balances. Unfortunately it is a SF run thing and the leadership on the ground over there should start reading the room and realise that there's a real opportunity to make a difference here. Step away from the whatabout politics and show leadership.

On top of all of that Wolfe Tones are pure dung!  I know a few bars of some of the songs but genuinely couldn't sing one the whole way through....thankfully!

trailer

Eire90

could it be the beginning of the end for the feile

ardtole

If we want to win the border poll when it eventually comes around, we are going to have to hold the hand of moderate unionists, in order to succeed.

The likes of Bryson will never be won over, but I'd like to think as a community, we hold ourselves to a higher moral standard than what we witness at the various bonfires on the 11th night, and what we witnessed in the orange Hall with the Micheala song.

That is up to the organisers of these events and leaders in our community to set the example. There will always be the eejit in the crowd, but on the whole I don't think it would be a huge loss if there was an alternative to the wolfetones next year.

marty34

Féile 2022
*100,000 People in Attendance
*350 Events *
85 Debates and Discussions
*28 Art Exhibitions                   
*4 10,000 Person Concerts

From Féile's Twitter account.

Not bad at all (considering what was going on 35+ years ago in West Belfast and surrounding area) I think.

Unfortunately, Screen Exile and the likes will focus on one thing in particular, out of the thousands of things that was on this past week or so.

Wolfe Tones are definately not my thing but the demand is there obviously. Sold out in record time.

Next thing is some of you'll want Grace and Come Out You Black and Tans banned.  :o

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Embarrassing event in many ways, young lads who were not even about back in the day getting brainwashed. All these events including those here in Derry are just big SF money grabbing sessions. Jobs for the boys. Donegal for me every day of the week

trailer

The Feile could turn in the Nationalist Twelfth. AKA a hatefest. Which is a pity as from what I can gather it is a pretty well run festival that is overshadowed by this shite every year.

Kidder81

Quote from: screenexile on August 15, 2022, 12:24:24 PM

To see if he has a brain ?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: marty34 on August 15, 2022, 01:10:47 PM
Féile 2022
*100,000 People in Attendance
*350 Events *
85 Debates and Discussions
*28 Art Exhibitions                   
*4 10,000 Person Concerts

From Féile's Twitter account.

Not bad at all (considering what was going on 35+ years ago in West Belfast and surrounding area) I think.

Unfortunately, Screen Exile and the likes will focus on one thing in particular, out of the thousands of things that was on this past week or so.

Wolfe Tones are definately not my thing but the demand is there obviously. Sold out in record time.

Next thing is some of you'll want Grace and Come Out You Black and Tans banned.  :o

As a whole it is great but I think that the Wolfe tones concert is backward looking in terms of the perception of the event and in the eyes of the public negates all the good that happens at it. Of course there is a demand among the general public in the area for them to play but there is a bigger picture here. As someone said above we need to take the middle ground with us to the negotiating table. In my work the 'truth' in the middle is the real truth and that is where we need to end up. Playing Up the Ra songs won't get us there. Let the loyalists be the haters and let's make use of that education that we got from the CCMS schools. f**k sake, can people not see that?

Kidder81

Quote from: Eire90 on August 15, 2022, 01:06:18 PM
could it be the beginning of the end for the feile

Not when SF control the funding levers