TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Quote from: Declan on November 12, 2012, 10:23:51 PM
QuoteWhat did yiz think of the new love/hate episode?

Thought it was great.
Just watched it there. Brilliant show.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 12, 2012, 02:24:32 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on November 12, 2012, 08:54:01 AM
Forbrydelsen (The Killing), season-3 starts on BBC4 next Saturday at 9pm.

I haven't seen 1 and 2 would it be worth watching 3? Have seen the US version which I enjoyed.

Have seen both versions and the Danish one was much better Dinny, first two series would be worth a watch if you can find them.

Thought Mario was great last night, loved his vinb stuff & Chewbacca as James Reilly. Great to get a glimpse at Sally O'Brien and how she would look at you after all these years, didn't she get a mention here recently?
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

ziggy90

Thanks for heads up Billy. I thought the first two series (Danish versions) were excellent. I missed the programme about the rise of Hitler, is it worth watching it on I player?
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

nrico2006

I love my serial killer stuff, so looking forward to seeing Kevin Bacons new show in January, its called the Following.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Main Street

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on November 13, 2012, 11:14:56 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 12, 2012, 02:24:32 PM

I haven't seen 1 and 2 would it be worth watching 3? Have seen the US version which I enjoyed.

Have seen both versions and the Danish one was much better Dinny, first two series would be worth a watch if you can find them.
I thought the USA one was excellent and stood up well on its own merits. The storyline was adapted well to its new environment.

Yes, I assume that you could watch Killing 3 without seeing  1 & 2

Spoiler Alert - Danish-  Killing 1

One thing has bugged me about the  Danish one, did it have a serious flaw in the plot?  In episode 1 after the girl has been murdered but identity not yet confirmed,  the father Theis is seen showing Vagn a property he has bought for what appears to be the first time.
Did that place not turn out to be the murder scene and if so, how did Vagn get to it?

Canalman

Quote from: Take Your Points on November 14, 2012, 12:07:58 AM
It was OK. I found the graphics and animation very annoying.  If you have watched any of the programmes about Hitler on the Discovery channel there is nothing new and you will see much the archive material.  Some good input from people alive at the time. 

I will watch the next two programmes.

Very well put. Saw the 1st episode last night and didn't learn a whole amount more than I knew already.
Will of course watch whole series.

Season 6 of Big Bang Theory started last night. Good light hearted viewing .

CiKe

Quote from: nrico2006 on November 14, 2012, 11:41:00 AM
I love my serial killer stuff, so looking forward to seeing Kevin Bacons new show in January, its called the Following.

Is her the serial killer? Can't think of many scarier actors - result of Sleepers and The Woodsman I guess, he always gave me the heebie-jeebies

clarshack

anyone else watching American horror story season 2. a very f*cked up show.

No Soloing

They seem to have turned the gore factor up a notch in American Horror Story 2. I think the story hasnt flowed as well as season 1 because of this, but its early enough in the series. Its still watchable though.

Minder

There is some great stuff on PBS if you are interested in American history, Ken Burns season started last week.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

5 Sams

Quote from: Minder on November 17, 2012, 02:02:20 PM
There is some great stuff on PBS if you are interested in American history, Ken Burns season started last week.

PBS is a great channel....loads of interesting stuff on it. There was a great documentary about the history of Baseball on a while ago.
The Aristocrat Years

Main Street

The first 2 episodes of Killing 3 were premiered on BBC4 on Saturday night.

After losing their way a bit in Killing 2, it's back to basics for Killing 3, as murder suspicions/cover up conspiracies, threaten political ambitions at their most sensitive stage (election time). And  a return of the Centre Party, jumping in an out of love/beds with a well practiced conscienceless agility.

Billys Boots

Ah here, I thought Killing II was excellent, every bit as good as the first series, and probably better.  I do think the third series is better again, but don't be dissing the second series. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Hardy

'Conscienceless' is easier to write than to say.

Canalman

Caught up with an excellent documentary last night from BBC4 about the rivalry between Harold Wilson and Ted Heath in the 1960s/1970s. Knew very little about them which made it even better, the Canadians on the board here could do worse than watch it on BBCplayer.

Started Lillehammer last night. Lighthearted  (though not a comedy as such )enough show from what I saw............ enjoyable enough also. Elements of Killinaskully, Heartbeat, My Blue Heaven and that tv show from the 90s where the Jewish doctor goes to live in Alaska  all mixed in.