TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Iceman

Netflix is a good job for them Puck. I finished Season 1 of Walking Dead and have last episode of Season 1 of Breaking Bad to watch.... both immense.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Archie Mitchell

Frozen Planet on BBC 1 now. Attenborough's new series. Should be good.

Canalman

Is the US version of The Killing worth buying or is the original Danish version the boxset to get.? Was very tempted at weekend to get it in HMV......... the American version that is.

Billys Boots

The Killing: I haven't had a chance to watch the US version, but the Danish original is excellent.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

J OGorman

Quote from: Canalman on November 02, 2011, 10:29:18 AM
Is the US version of The Killing worth buying or is the original Danish version the boxset to get.? Was very tempted at weekend to get it in HMV......... the American version that is.

I would go with the Danish one, I thought it was a great show. Watched 3 episodes of the US one and thought it wasnt a patch on Danish one. Couldnt warm to the main characters either, and yer woman cops wee dykish walk, jeez

Just watched episode 5 of season 2 of Boardwalk Empire, what a class show

Also, bought the Count of Monte Cristo a few years back after watching it one Christmas on BBC2. Its 6 hours worth starring Gerard Depardieu. Cant recommend it highly enough, and less than 6 lids over on Amazon (handy Christmas present)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Count-Monte-Cristo-DVD/dp/B0000AQVML/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1320237044&sr=8-2-fkmr0

eddie d

'Rescue me' is a quality show, also anyone see a cartoon 'the life and times of tim'?

Minder

Quote from: J OGorman on November 02, 2011, 12:35:14 PM

I would go with the Danish one, I thought it was a great show. Watched 3 episodes of the US one and thought it wasnt a patch on Danish one. Couldnt warm to the main characters either, and yer woman cops wee dykish walk, jeez

Also, bought the Count of Monte Cristo a few years back after watching it one Christmas on BBC2. Its 6 hours worth starring Gerard Depardieu. Cant recommend it highly enough, and less than 6 lids over on Amazon (handy Christmas present)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Count-Monte-Cristo-DVD/dp/B0000AQVML/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1320237044&sr=8-2-fkmr0

Series 2 of the Killing (Danish) starts on November 19th on BBC4.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Main Street

I'd vote for the Danish Killing but it has to be considered that I knew the story by the time I watched the US version.
So I can't objectively judge the evolving mystery element of the plot.
The US Killing is also top quality, there is no doubt about that. The political intrigue in the Danish political system is unique to Denmark, you just don't have the complex twists and turns of forming a 3 party coalition to run a city in the US, so that part is dumbed down in a Seattle setting. This is not a mass pitched US version, the US one is darker, relentless film noir, it stopped raining for about 30 minutes. Some characters are better done in the US version, some are better done in the Danish version and some incredibly similar -  like the girl's father, brilliantly portrayed in both versions.

AFS

Quote from: eddie d on November 02, 2011, 06:03:30 PM
'Rescue me' is a quality show, also anyone see a cartoon 'the life and times of tim'?

Yes, brilliant. Third series starting in a few weeks.

4father

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on October 26, 2011, 09:03:06 PM

Absolutely brilliant it is.

ziggy90

Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Canalman

Quote from: J OGorman on November 02, 2011, 12:35:14 PM

Thanks for that. Will go for the Danish version so.

Jonah

Second season of Love/Hate on RTE now.
Great show.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: 4father on November 03, 2011, 01:08:16 AM
Quote from: Archie Mitchell on October 26, 2011, 09:03:06 PM

Absolutely brilliant it is.
Amazing. What the licence fee is for.

Denn Forever

Mongrels is back on BBC3 at 10.30 on Monday nights.  Very funny.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...