10 (52.6%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Estimator

Quote from: harryR on March 22, 2023, 12:46:38 PM
Quote from: Link on March 22, 2023, 11:44:57 AM
Quote from: harryR on March 22, 2023, 11:29:01 AM
Quote from: toby47 on March 22, 2023, 11:20:10 AM
Quote from: harryR on March 22, 2023, 11:05:36 AM
Is it true that the dual players in clubs will have something like 35/40 games between league and championship this year in the space of 3/4 months? Surely that's too much for amatuer players no?

Well there are 13 league games in the football & guaranteed 6 championship group stage games (potential for 3 more- QF/SF & Final) so there's potential for 22 football games. Wouldn't be sure of the furling formats at all.

Hurling has an early season league, an actual league and then group stages for championship which then decides if you're senior, intermediate or junior. Roughly 16/17 games before knockout in championship I think.
Seems it will be Sunday, Wednesday Sunday for the dual players basically every week

sounds brilliant, much better than training.

Don't get me wrong, matches are exactly what everyone wants. For example someone from slaughtneil who starts for both codes and isn't on either county panel. He will be expected to play Sunday Wednesday Sunday , while also doing the gym work needed and attending football and hurling training during the week, especially in the run up to championship

If they're playing Sunday, Wednesday, Sunday there will be v few training sessions/gym work happening. And any of those would only have to be light, low impact training, especially if they have that many games. Most of the hard work will be done by the time the league starts.
Ulster League Champions 2009

jmcgdoire

Quote from: toby47 on March 22, 2023, 12:42:20 PM
Quote from: Link on March 22, 2023, 11:44:57 AM
Quote from: harryR on March 22, 2023, 11:29:01 AM
Quote from: toby47 on March 22, 2023, 11:20:10 AM
Quote from: harryR on March 22, 2023, 11:05:36 AM
Is it true that the dual players in clubs will have something like 35/40 games between league and championship this year in the space of 3/4 months? Surely that's too much for amatuer players no?

Well there are 13 league games in the football & guaranteed 6 championship group stage games (potential for 3 more- QF/SF & Final) so there's potential for 22 football games. Wouldn't be sure of the furling formats at all.

Hurling has an early season league, an actual league and then group stages for championship which then decides if you're senior, intermediate or junior. Roughly 16/17 games before knockout in championship I think.
Seems it will be Sunday, Wednesday Sunday for the dual players basically every week

sounds brilliant, much better than training.

I'm all on for games, but 6 championship group stage games is horrendous. Has to be the worst format in Ireland.

It's surely up there with the worst. The more we dilute the competition like this the less it feels like Championship football.
I understand the problems some would have with the straight knockout format but this can't be the best solution?
I'd be interested to hear more players' thoughts.

marty34

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 21, 2023, 09:24:05 PM
Yes

I don't think many county players play in them Ulster or early season leagues. Just give other lads a run out and see how they go.

Wildweasel74

How come we playing U-20 men on Sunday before championship on Wednesday night. You can't beat stupid. D Cassidy must be playing poor in training, he's still not on.

Estimator

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 24, 2023, 08:43:11 PM
How come we playing U-20 men on Sunday before championship on Wednesday night. You can't beat stupid. D Cassidy must be playing poor in training, he's still not on.

Thought the rule regarding those lads who have played senior football were ineligible for U20 was still in place??

Regarding Cassidy, I'd assume that RG is giving the starting spots to the lads who have made appearances off the bench this season. I'm sure he still get some game time on Sunday.

screenexile

The worst kept secret in Derry seems to be out... I don't listen to Parkinson's podcast but have the Downey transfers actually gone through??

Surely there's someone in the club could step in and mediate this it's a horrible mess!

Will it ever end

No, nothing on official GAA website.

Wildweasel74

That was still rumbling on in the bck ground from last year. I take it they can still play county unless Lavey be a bollix and object. Bad set up that, that was not sorted out.

harryR

They have been at challenge games and been at the league games watching so far with st Brigid's. Think lavey battering on without them

quit yo jibbajabba

Seamus will hardly take them the year hi

Wildweasel74

Why St Brigids, what's the grounds to move so far away, all 4 couldn't be living in Belfast/ temp address at Uni?

quit yo jibbajabba

Is the mum from there? Cant mind. Fair bit of chat about it on the Antrim thread on and off the past while if yis can be bothered to go back a bit

jmcgdoire

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 27, 2023, 07:11:33 PM
Why St Brigids, what's the grounds to move so far away, all 4 couldn't be living in Belfast/ temp address at Uni?

Apparently they have family in the club. Must be on the mother's side. I heard they tried Cargin but were told to sort it out with lavey. Im still not sure what the fallout was over but it must be very bad if its went this far.

Estimator

Quote from: jmcgdoire on March 28, 2023, 02:02:05 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 27, 2023, 07:11:33 PM

Apparently they have family in the club. Must be on the mother's side. I heard they tried Cargin but were told to sort it out with lavey. Im still not sure what the fallout was over but it must be very bad if its went this far.

AFAIK It wasnt bad at all. Some of the players thought a change in the management was necessary, the management thought otherwise.

Wildweasel74

Is it not Lavey Committee decide senior player management, not existing management or players?