Galway v Derry 18/07/2015

Started by screenexile, July 13, 2015, 11:58:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Galway favourites for this one which surprises me. I'd be confident enough against them though as we've put 2 decent performances back to back and I think the fact we will be away will provide the necessary motivation for the lads. Am I right in saying we play the winners of Tipperary v Tyrone?

Anyway I'd love to head down to it but have a wedding on Saturday which means I'll miss it on TV as well!! I think it should be a decent game though and I'd have us slight favourites if we're at ourselves and have a decent attacking plan with pace and purpose!!

quiganmaster

I think the winners of this play the losers of Ulster or Connaught finals for a place in the AIQF. Anyhow, this should be an interesting tie with both teams confident of victory, if Derry play to their potential and maintain their recent defensive strategy I can see them winning this one. We will need skinner and mark lynch to lift their games as they haven't quite played as well as we would've liked as yet this year. Hopefully Oboyle can play as he played against Wexford as he was spectacular and was always capable. I'll hopefully make it down to this one, been a long time since we've toured down the country for a championship game, I'd expect us to line up as per the Wexford game, looking forward to it!

macdanger2

Quote from: screenexile on July 13, 2015, 11:58:06 AM
Am I right in saying we play the winners of Tipperary v Tyrone?

Yeah, as far as I know, the winners of this and the Tipp/Tyrone game play the Connacht & Ulster losers - Aug Bank holiday weekend. Somewhere like Breffni maybe

County Man

Should be a cracker. I'd fancy Galway to edge it.

oakleaflad

Just been confirmed for Salthill  at 5pm. Would have fancied us at home but the away draw prob just gives Galway a slight advantage. The winners will have got through a tough game either way.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: County Man on July 13, 2015, 12:10:10 PM
Should be a cracker. I'd fancy Galway to edge it.
Would expect a defensive dog fight of a game.

galwayman

Maroon Manc

Quote from: screenexile on July 13, 2015, 11:58:06 AM
Galway favourites for this one which surprises me. I'd be confident enough against them though as we've put 2 decent performances back to back and I think the fact we will be away will provide the necessary motivation for the lads. Am I right in saying we play the winners of Tipperary v Tyrone?

Anyway I'd love to head down to it but have a wedding on Saturday which means I'll miss it on TV as well!! I think it should be a decent game though and I'd have us slight favourites if we're at ourselves and have a decent attacking plan with pace and purpose!!

Home advantage was always going to determine who the favourites are. Both division 2 teams next shear and Derry hardly a great record in the qualifiers in recent years. Derry do have the advantage of an extra days rest and probably an easier game.

I'm expecting a close game but I'm confident Galway will win. Derry could have beaten Donegal but they did look like a flat performance from them.

I'm happy with the way Glaway are progressing, we're showing more aggression and intensity in our performances and the players are starting to understand that been cynical is now part of the game. Galway have better players than Armagh and never understood why so many were tipping them, Galway have a lot of underage successs with over half the team in possession of All Ireland u21's medal, Conroy had a minor medal with Sice, Lundy and Silke having won an All ireland club title.

I do think it will be a low scoring game, I'd imagine Derry will set up in a similar manner to Armagh but will be a far tougher and more organised team to create openings against. If Galway can hold their own around the middle I'm confident we'll win.

Real Talk

This will be a tricky one for Derry but both teams are of a similar standard.  Derry need to creat and exècute a couple of goal chances if they hope to win and we are short of at least one forward to put real fear into in to the Galway defence.  Galway are a step up in class from Wexford and this could be a bridge too far but here's hoping !!!

JoG2

Quote from: Real Talk on July 13, 2015, 10:06:40 PM
This will be a tricky one for Derry but both teams are of a similar standard.  Derry need to creat and exècute a couple of goal chances if they hope to win and we are short of at least one forward to put real fear into in to the Galway defence.  Galway are a step up in class from Wexford and this could be a bridge too far but here's hoping !!!

We've Oboyle in great shape and flying and Skinner.  That's 2 inside forwards who'd have any county management setup working overtime. 

It'll be a tight match which may go right to the wire.  Looking forward to it.  The big questions are,  whether we stay over or not and will Lundy stay on his feet :-) 

Wildweasel74

Oh Lundy spend most of the match lying down / play acting, thats much a given! dont think he get much change out of Duffy whos got the speed to match him

Duine Eile

Just a word of warning to any Derry people making the journey, give yourselves plenty of time to get into and across the city, extremely busy weekend in Galway coming up, Galway Utd. playing a Liverpool 11 at 2 that afternoon, normal Saturday traffic in Galway is cat anyway and Kodaline are playing a concert in the Arts Festival Big Top that night also!

joemamas

Quote from: Duine Eile on July 14, 2015, 01:15:53 PM
Just a word of warning to any Derry people making the journey, give yourselves plenty of time to get into and across the city, extremely busy weekend in Galway coming up, Galway Utd. playing a Liverpool 11 at 2 that afternoon, normal Saturday traffic in Galway is cat anyway and Kodaline are playing a concert in the Arts Festival Big Top that night also!

You may also want to give yourself a little extra time going from Bellaghy (sligo) to Charlestown, so of our posters may be camped out ahead of Sunday Connacht final.  ::)

Maroon Manc

Hopefully we should know both teams by tonight.

I can't imagine too many changes by Galway apart from Cummins in for Denvir although it wouldn't be that surprising if Denvir managed to start again.

Its a more important game for Derry, they need the win more than Galway. Another Derry championship loss and McIver's reign has been a huge disappointment.