TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Succession hasn't missed a beat still razor sharp really enjoyed that first episode!

ziggy90

Quote from: Orior on March 27, 2023, 06:42:35 PM
Who remembers 1970's tv series Citizen Smith, with the lead character played by Robery Lindsay?

Fun fact: When Wolfe Tone went to America, he took the pseudonym Citizen Smith. And what was the name of the character played by Lindsay? Wolfie!

The creater of Citizen Smith was born in London to Irish parents.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizen_Smith

"From a mush in Shepherd's Bush".
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Windmill abu

Just watched the first episode of Blue Lights. First impressions are that it is very good with some excellent casting. The action scenes appear authentic.
Unfortunately it slightly drifts into a problems solved by a former social worker plot.
Nevertheless it has the potential to address the problems the cops face every day working in predominately nationalist/sceptical areas.
From a purely visual standpoint, the main character has a lot in common with the lead in Happy Valley.
Never underestimate the power of complaining

AustinPowers

Quote from: Orior on March 27, 2023, 06:42:35 PM
Who remembers 1970's tv series Citizen Smith, with the lead character played by Robery Lindsay?

Fun fact: When Wolfe Tone went to America, he took the pseudonym Citizen Smith. And what was the name of the character played by Lindsay? Wolfie!

The creater of Citizen Smith was born in London to Irish parents.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizen_Smith

The wee woman who  was in eastenders in later years  called him Foxy, not Wolfie  ;D

Great show.  John Sullivan . I assumed there  was an Irish link in ther e somewhere

mrdeeds

Quote from: screenexile on March 27, 2023, 08:35:24 PM
Succession hasn't missed a beat still razor sharp really enjoyed that first episode!

Sets up the season well.

Just finished Black Bird. Brilliant.

quit yo jibbajabba

Tubridys farewell and not a mention?! Disappointed lads.
Not there yet but will be soon.

Nere liked the heure but love an oul farewell hi. Esp to thon cnut 😃

Philomena flat out with the innuendo im hearing

Edit - apologies its his last country show not last show. Bit embarrassed now lol

Main Street

Quote from: tbrick18 on March 27, 2023, 04:55:22 PM
Season 3 of Ted Lasso is back.
I love it, but I dont know why. I think it should be rubbish. But it's just feel good.
They could have called it 'Coach Ted'.

Now Richmond have signed Zlatan (wtf) - a stroke of comic genius, though they could've gotten  a lot of milage out of a Cantonesque character.
But the Zlatan aura  is more current.

bennydorano

Quote from: Windmill abu on March 27, 2023, 10:26:03 PM
Just watched the first episode of Blue Lights. First impressions are that it is very good with some excellent casting. The action scenes appear authentic.
Unfortunately it slightly drifts into a problems solved by a former social worker plot.
Nevertheless it has the potential to address the problems the cops face every day working in predominately nationalist/sceptical areas.
From a purely visual standpoint, the main character has a lot in common with the lead in Happy Valley.
Watched it all, excellent

bennydorano

Quote from: lurganblue on February 24, 2023, 01:54:21 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on February 24, 2023, 12:59:20 PM
Finally getting round to watching Suits, near the end of S3, its watchable but overall pretty shite, but I keep getting drawn back to watch more. Its hardly going to improve much if this is my reading so far and 6 more series to go??

Probably not. I enjoyed it at the start but gave up on it after a certain significant change. Couldnt see the point of it after that
I saw Suits through to end, it never got any better but not considerably worse, it was shite but watchable shite that didn't require much brain power. The Donna character annoyed the f**k out of me throughout.

Tony Baloney

The Big Door Prize on Apple (or dodgy box). 3 episodes dropped on 29th March and then weekly from this Wednesday. Really liked it.

CK_Redhand

Blue Lights episode 4 is one of the best episodes of TV I've seen in years. If it was from an American show, say The Wire or similar it would be lauded by critics. I hope the show gets the recognition it deserves.

gawa316

Quote from: Newbridge Exile on March 25, 2023, 12:33:10 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on March 25, 2023, 12:19:48 AM
Quote from: Newbridge Exile on March 24, 2023, 11:17:46 PM
Nearly 10 years late to the party but True Detective Season 1was one of the best series I have watched in along time Harrelson and McConaughey  were outstanding in it (doubt the Louisiana tourism board would have enjoyed it as much through)

It finished brilliant. If I remember right, first 5 or 6 episodes were slow enough though. The jumping back and forward through the years added alot to it too.
Yep it was a slow burn for the first  few episodes but so worth it ,  also had one of the most unnerving/creepy antagonist's in any series/film I have seen

Flip me how have I never heard about this? One episode to go on the first season...excellent show

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: gawa316 on April 05, 2023, 03:45:49 PM
Quote from: Newbridge Exile on March 25, 2023, 12:33:10 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on March 25, 2023, 12:19:48 AM
Quote from: Newbridge Exile on March 24, 2023, 11:17:46 PM
Nearly 10 years late to the party but True Detective Season 1was one of the best series I have watched in along time Harrelson and McConaughey  were outstanding in it (doubt the Louisiana tourism board would have enjoyed it as much through)

It finished brilliant. If I remember right, first 5 or 6 episodes were slow enough though. The jumping back and forward through the years added alot to it too.
Yep it was a slow burn for the first  few episodes but so worth it ,  also had one of the most unnerving/creepy antagonist's in any series/film I have seen

Flip me how have I never heard about this? One episode to go on the first season...excellent show

The first series was excellent. Definitely up there. One episode Woody Harrelson was the luckiest man on the planet lol. The rest of the series were absolute rubbish considering the stars  and budget.

Main Street

Quote from: JoG2 on March 11, 2023, 11:27:17 PM
Late to it, but almost finished The Last Kingdom, brilliant show, moves along at a serious pace. Just read there's a film in April that completes the series / books.
I watched it  following your recommendation and it's brilliant, at least rarely less than enjoyable.  I suppose I do take a peculiar pleasure in Danes being put to the sword in grizzly fashion.

JoG2

Quote from: Main Street on April 05, 2023, 07:51:48 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on March 11, 2023, 11:27:17 PM
Late to it, but almost finished The Last Kingdom, brilliant show, moves along at a serious pace. Just read there's a film in April that completes the series / books.
I watched it  following your recommendation and it's brilliant, at least rarely less than enjoyable.  I suppose I do take a peculiar pleasure in Danes being put to the sword in grizzly fashion.

Good timing, movie out next week

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt15767808/