Dogs

Started by pearses, October 25, 2007, 05:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boycey

Anyone got any ideas how on to calm down an over-excitable dog? The mrs has just text to say he's just stolen sausages from some mans BBq at the local park  ;D.

We have a 3 1/2 year old small beagle who is showing no sign of getting manners. I know hes not an ideal dog but the young lad had his heart set on one at the time and couldn't be talked around and after a good bit of research I relented as the books/internet said that although energetic they would be very rewarding pets.

Hes now an adult dog and shows no sign of "wising up" and constantly has to be checked around the house for getting himself into some kind of handling. He is walked twice most days and certainly once and gets let off the lead for 30/45 mins while on these walks and also has a playmate in next doors dog who I let into the garden to run around with him so excess energy shouldn't be a problem.  He's as strong as a horse, I wouldn't let young fella walk him on his own as he'd literally pull him out into the road if the notion took him. He seems to have no concept of cars!!! He also lacks "social skills" and runs headlong in other people/dogs when hes out which can upset people or cause fights even thought he's not got a malicious bone in his body he just thinks everyone is his friend.

There is more thought of him than of me too, the lad is away at the minute and Facetimes me every morning "to talk to the dog" ;D

Any thoughts?

muppet

Quote from: Boycey on July 25, 2014, 03:55:15 PM
Anyone got any ideas how on to calm down an over-excitable dog? The mrs has just text to say he's just stolen sausages from some mans BBq at the local park  ;D.

We have a 3 1/2 year old small beagle who is showing no sign of getting manners. I know hes not an ideal dog but the young lad had his heart set on one at the time and couldn't be talked around and after a good bit of research I relented as the books/internet said that although energetic they would be very rewarding pets.

Hes now an adult dog and shows no sign of "wising up" and constantly has to be checked around the house for getting himself into some kind of handling. He is walked twice most days and certainly once and gets let off the lead for 30/45 mins while on these walks and also has a playmate in next doors dog who I let into the garden to run around with him so excess energy shouldn't be a problem.  He's as strong as a horse, I wouldn't let young fella walk him on his own as he'd literally pull him out into the road if the notion took him. He seems to have no concept of cars!!! He also lacks "social skills" and runs headlong in other people/dogs when hes out which can upset people or cause fights even thought he's not got a malicious bone in his body he just thinks everyone is his friend.

There is more thought of him than of me too, the lad is away at the minute and Facetimes me every morning "to talk to the dog" ;D

Any thoughts?

Get a cat.
MWWSI 2017

Boycey

Quote from: muppet on July 25, 2014, 04:13:38 PM

Any thoughts?

Get a cat.

Horrible creatures

Jeepers Creepers

I know Beagles usually have a tendency to wander if they pick up a scent, but this boisterous nature does sound unlike the breed. Is he a pure breed? I would suggest walking him once a day but upping the off lead to at least an hour. Check his food as we'll, some foods are high energy for Working dogs. Some dogs are just balloons, worst case get him the snip although could destroy his character.

brokencrossbar1

Has he had the snip?  It calms young dogs down a lot if they get the snip.  Another idea might be to get another dog,  if you have the space.  I have a big Labrador and she gets well walked but sometimes there are a few other dogs in the house with me and they entertain each other. 

Definitely check the food as well,  if it is for a working dog and he's only getting walked then there is unspent energy!!! 

(If he hasn't had the snip maybe he needs the ride as well!)

beer baron

Quote from: Boycey on July 25, 2014, 04:15:24 PM
Quote from: muppet on July 25, 2014, 04:13:38 PM

Any thoughts?

Get a cat.

Horrible creatures

Agreed. I've a little jack russell and the neighbours cats keep jumping up on our fence to get the dogs attention then start swinging their tail down so she can nearly but not quite jump up and grab it. Then if we take her in the fecking cats eat her food.  >:(

thejuice

The wife's dog arrived last week. He belonged to her parents previously. They have several dogs. He's not used to being on his own as her folks are retired and the other dogs are there.

Kept him in the kitchen the first few nights. Constant whining and banging the door for hours and bits the door frame. He stops and sleeps but if someone gets up during the night it starts again.

Put him in the shed last night and same again only the neighbours got to hear him too.

We don't want him in the bedroom as he snores and farts.

Any advice. I'm guessing just put up with it till he stops. It's like having a child I imagine.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

muppet

Quote from: thejuice on September 16, 2014, 11:31:33 AM
The wife's dog arrived last week. He belonged to her parents previously. They have several dogs. He's not used to being on his own as her folks are retired and the other dogs are there.

Kept him in the kitchen the first few nights. Constant whining and banging the door for hours and bits the door frame. He stops and sleeps but if someone gets up during the night it starts again.

Put him in the shed last night and same again only the neighbours got to hear him too.

Any advice. I'm guessing just put up with it till he stops. It's like having a child I imagine.

I wouldn't keep the kids in the shed.
MWWSI 2017

thejuice

No wonder, ye mayo men were reared soft.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

BennyCake

Quote from: thejuice on September 16, 2014, 11:31:33 AM

Bag. Brick. Canal.

thejuice

Christ. Anyone else got a suggestion?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: thejuice on September 16, 2014, 11:54:49 AM

Well?

ps I am a dog owner and have 3 of the little and not so little buggers so I'm only kidding!!!

BennyCake

Quote from: thejuice on September 16, 2014, 11:54:49 AM

You're not going with mine then?  ;)

Mayo4Sam

Thinking of getting a dog and looking for some advice

So currently in Dublin but thats probably a 2-3 year thing. House in Dublin has a large back garden, dog would be left there during the work. Would come for a run/walk with me in the evening. Looking for a dog that can run with me, preferrably off a leash at some stage but if not no panic.
Apparently a Dalmatian is a good dog for this, wont go mental during the day but can run as much as I'd like. Collies were the other option I looked at but apparently can bark a lot when they get bored.

Any comments/suggestions?
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Tony Baloney

We have a labrador pup. Good as gold and would recommend one to anyone. Hasn't been a peep out of her at night since we got her in July and sleeps outside now too - didn't mind that either.