County Manager Merry go round

Started by Rossfan, August 11, 2015, 02:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joemamas

Quote from: Syferus on September 08, 2017, 02:31:30 PM
Quote from: Orchard park on September 08, 2017, 02:16:33 PM
more of a no 3 in mayo, Donie Buckley much more senior in the pecking order

Talking of expenses..

Whatever he gets, he is well entitled to it.
A huge value add.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on September 08, 2017, 04:03:38 PM
FAO Sligonian ... As a sidenote to Carew going, what did Sligo folk think of Roli Sweeney. He is a man well thought of in Kildare?
In terms of a lad stepping up from a top class coach would Mick Bohan be worth a call?

An old head like McGrath along with O'Hara could work for Sligo.
It might be a big leap but you get the feeling Karl Lacey would step up alongside McEntee you would have s v dynamic team.

Mick Bohan's an excellent coach alright. I've studied a lot of his methods. He gave some workshops in Sligo last year which I couldn't attend but were excellent.

giveballaghback

Fergal O Donnell has been offered the Sligo job, should be interesting if he takes it.

Rossfan

Interesting...............
Before last September he wouldn't look at another County.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

I'd hope he'd turn it down because he'd do a much better job than any of the recent occupants of that post.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: giveballaghback on September 09, 2017, 06:36:12 PM
Fergal O Donnell has been offered the Sligo job, should be interesting if he takes it.
Will be even more interesting if he's the Sligo manager and Sligo draw Roscommon in next years Connacht championship.

moysider

How come Holmes and Connelly are not mentioned in this merry-go-round? Surely a top option for Sligo gig.

Mayo players were destroyed for lacking confidence in them but we've had one Sligo poster here wanting Sligo players have an input in next managerial appointment.

Holmes and Connelly have a good cv, and surprising they have not been even in the discussion for other counties. Makes no sense.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on September 10, 2017, 12:55:41 AM

How come Holmes and Connelly are not mentioned in this merry-go-round? Surely a top option for Sligo gig.

Mayo players were destroyed for lacking confidence in them but we've had one Sligo poster here wanting Sligo players have an input in next managerial appointment.

Holmes and Connelly have a good cv, and surprising they have not been even in the discussion for other counties. Makes no sense.

They were still better than Rochford however much you want to convince yourself they weren't.

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on September 10, 2017, 01:44:35 AM
Quote from: moysider on September 10, 2017, 12:55:41 AM

They were still better than Rochford however much you want to convince yourself they weren't.

Moi? Not trying to convince myself of anything. Just wondering why other counties have not snapped them up. Then there was Tommy Jordan that won a club AI but it all turned sour in Sligo.
Still, I don't get how you can say that H&C were 'better' than Rochford? Better how?

maigheo

Jeez Syf,you have really gone off the rails if you think H and C were better than Rochford.Constantly repeating falsehoods will never make them true

maigheo

Quote from: giveballaghback on September 09, 2017, 06:36:12 PM
Well at least they would know how to play with 15 men behind the ball while playing with a gale force wind

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on September 08, 2017, 04:03:38 PM
FAO Sligonian ... As a sidenote to Carew going, what did Sligo folk think of Roli Sweeney. He is a man well thought of in Kildare?
In terms of a lad stepping up from a top class coach would Mick Bohan be worth a call?

An old head like McGrath along with O'Hara could work for Sligo.
It might be a big leap but you get the feeling Karl Lacey would step up alongside McEntee you would have s v dynamic team.
Ronan Sweeney was generally well thought, he was selector and forwards coach, we certainly moved the ball better going forward when he was there,

I am open to anyone, but problem is the idea of an interview is to get the best man possible and our 5 man committee don't know much about football and for us Carew was a bluffer and got through this process already and even got reappointed. Its hard to be optimistic but we could get lucky.

Some good suggestions there. Interesting that some are Fergal O Donnell has got it, i doubt our county board have been that proactive, i wouldnt mind him, he was better than Walsh and he would love a crack at mcstay id say.

Holmes and Connelly for me I dont really know what happened with Mayo but that Mayo team in the 2015 Connacht final was the best prepared team I've ever seen in July simple as that. Id take that.

Again the interview process should get the best candidate and any worries alleviated.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

sligoman

I'm not too bothered about Carew going, I wouldn't be anywhere near as critical as some on here about his tenure - a Connacht final and retaining Div 3 status in a major transitional period for us is not bad all considered though the collapses against Mayo in 2015 and Roscommon in 2016 were humiliating at the time. I know our club men only had good things to say about him and that it was the most professional set up they had been involved with in Sligo.

What happens from here is now what matters, we're still in a major transitional stage and have quite a promising batch coming through. There are no real candidates in the county, O'Hara looks like the best choice internally but I'd have sever reservations about him being the main man.

If we can stay in Div 3 over the next two years and manage not to humiliate ourselves then we'll hopefully be able to aim a little higher when when the bulk of these young members currently on the panel have more experience and bulked up physically.

A manager can only deal with the hand he is dealt with, it's good to see the performances of our underage teams in recent years but having gone to see a few of the club championship games in recent weeks, it really would wipe any enthusiasm about Sligo football away from you. There are clubs with big picks currently there like Harps, Johns, Marys, Coolera/Strandhill and Molaise Gaels that should certainly be able to challenge for club honours in Connacht. We are absolutely miles behind other counties in terms of tactical and physical conditioning of our club footballers. The enormity of the step up between club football in Sligo and intercounty football is the biggest problem facing Sligo football right now.

Without meaning to be disrespectful of certain players but there are a few lads on the panel now who have been involved for the last 4/5 years who are nowhere near the level but the sad thing is they're probably the best of what's out there. The top senior club sides in Sligo are probably at about the same level as the top club junior sides in Galway and Mayo. Does any club in Sligo have their own proper S&C base?

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: sligoman on September 11, 2017, 11:54:42 AM
I'm not too bothered about Carew going, I wouldn't be anywhere near as critical as some on here about his tenure - a Connacht final and retaining Div 3 status in a major transitional period for us is not bad all considered though the collapses against Mayo in 2015 and Roscommon in 2016 were humiliating at the time. I know our club men only had good things to say about him and that it was the most professional set up they had been involved with in Sligo.

What happens from here is now what matters, we're still in a major transitional stage and have quite a promising batch coming through. There are no real candidates in the county, O'Hara looks like the best choice internally but I'd have sever reservations about him being the main man.

If we can stay in Div 3 over the next two years and manage not to humiliate ourselves then we'll hopefully be able to aim a little higher when when the bulk of these young members currently on the panel have more experience and bulked up physically.

A manager can only deal with the hand he is dealt with, it's good to see the performances of our underage teams in recent years but having gone to see a few of the club championship games in recent weeks, it really would wipe any enthusiasm about Sligo football away from you. There are clubs with big picks currently there like Harps, Johns, Marys, Coolera/Strandhill and Molaise Gaels that should certainly be able to challenge for club honours in Connacht. We are absolutely miles behind other counties in terms of tactical and physical conditioning of our club footballers. The enormity of the step up between club football in Sligo and intercounty football is the biggest problem facing Sligo football right now.

Without meaning to be disrespectful of certain players but there are a few lads on the panel now who have been involved for the last 4/5 years who are nowhere near the level but the sad thing is they're probably the best of what's out there. The top senior club sides in Sligo are probably at about the same level as the top club junior sides in Galway and Mayo. Does any club in Sligo have their own proper S&C base?

I heard the same regarding professional and all that, I was pretty heavily involved in the last 6 yrs at club level and with u21 county, etc.. this professional stuff gets bandied about alot, being professional is the easiest part of managing imo anybody can do it, from planning training sessions, food, gameday bus timings, water, etc... but to be honest Ive seen very little little evidence of Managers who are good organisers/professional, good man managers, good tacticians before and ingames, etc.. ie the full package, Carew was not good man manager, he treated players very differently where committment was concerned, some players could come in half way through the year, others couldnt take a holiday early season, he was very poor on player positioning, tactics and gameplans, Its alright getting the admin stuff right and putting out cones etc.. but its even more important to get the other stuff right, 3 yrs he was there and the strength and conditioning of some players wasnt up to scratch imo, the 2015 collapse more should of been learned, he has to take responsibility for that,

I agree on O Hara, its too early but wonder why you have severe reservations?

Your absolutely spot on regards our club footballers and the physical conditioning. County board should be leading the way but our clubs are full of dinosaurs and poor coaches with no knowledge of any of this. Even our injury management seems to be so poor and rehab we seem to always get it wrong. We need a complete revamp of County Board but our clubs are too passive and dont seem to really care about the state of the game, some think its a nrs game and thats it, pats on the back all round.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

sligoman

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on September 11, 2017, 12:55:08 PM
Quote from: sligoman on September 11, 2017, 11:54:42 AM

I heard the same regarding professional and all that, I was pretty heavily involved in the last 6 yrs at club level and with u21 county, etc.. this professional stuff gets bandied about alot, being professional is the easiest part of managing imo anybody can do it, from planning training sessions, food, gameday bus timings, water, etc... but to be honest Ive seen very little little evidence of Managers who are good organisers/professional, good man managers, good tacticians before and ingames, etc.. ie the full package, Carew was not good man manager, he treated players very differently where committment was concerned, some players could come in half way through the year, others couldnt take a holiday early season, he was very poor on player positioning, tactics and gameplans, Its alright getting the admin stuff right and putting out cones etc.. but its even more important to get the other stuff right, 3 yrs he was there and the strength and conditioning of some players wasnt up to scratch imo, the 2015 collapse more should of been learned, he has to take responsibility for that,

I agree on O Hara, its too early but wonder why you have severe reservations?

Your absolutely spot on regards our club footballers and the physical conditioning. County board should be leading the way but our clubs are full of dinosaurs and poor coaches with no knowledge of any of this. Even our injury management seems to be so poor and rehab we seem to always get it wrong. We need a complete revamp of County Board but our clubs are too passive and dont seem to really care about the state of the game, some think its a nrs game and thats it, pats on the back all round.

I think O'Hara needs another few years before he's ready.

Only so much blame can be placed on the county board. The facilities clubs have in Sligo are pretty much appalling. Apart from Tourlestrane and perhaps Bunninadden, there are so few well run clubs in Sligo. Look at the likes of Johns and Harps, big clubs with big picks and they're so far off the scene now. Curry are an absolute rabble now as well. West Sligo has been in a state for years. It's grand blaming the county board for everything but clubs have to get up and take action themselves.

I have a lot of relatives up North and the effort clubs go to in order to obtain good facilities and infrastructure is a great credit to them. It seems to be a real community effort there, with the exception of Tourlestrane there is a real lack of clubs driving the community and sparking involvement. I think there is a great urgency for clubs to take it on themselves to make things happen, rather than wait for the county board to sort things out.