Clerical abuse!

Started by D4S, May 20, 2009, 05:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We all know this disgusting scandal is as a result of The Church and The State, but who do you hold mostly accountable, and should therefore pay out the most in compensation to victims?

The State
The Church
Split 50/50

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Pangurban on May 25, 2009, 09:07:14 PM
Ardmhachu i think you will find that the state can prevent certain religious groups from operating in the country, if they fail to conform to certain norms. In the past the Jesuits have been banned from operating in many Countries which would deem themselves to be catholic
Is there legislation north and south that would allow them to do this?
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Pangurban

I am unable to quote you the precise piece of legislation which would cover such an action, but it has been used against religious sects that were considered harmful to the public good, the Moonies and the Church of Scientology being comparitively recent examples

ardmhachaabu

Fair enough.  I wasn't being pernickety, genuinely I have never heard of it happening before.
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Gnevin

Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 25, 2009, 09:20:21 PM

Sure poor auld Bertie has no money either. My heart bleeds.
did you even read what the article said?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Gnevin on May 25, 2009, 09:38:58 PM

Yes I did Gnevin. When Irelands no 1 con man tells me that the church have no money (just like he had no money when he got the auld dig out) I would be looking for a second opinion. Aherns word is just as worthless as the churches at this moment in time.

Gnevin

Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 25, 2009, 09:47:12 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on May 25, 2009, 09:38:58 PM

Yes I did Gnevin. When Irelands no 1 con man tells me that the church have no money (just like he had no money when he got the auld dig out) I would be looking for a second opinion. Aherns word is just as worthless as the churches at this moment in time.
Ok . I agree with you . How can one of the biggest land owners in the state be broke?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Orior

I served as an alterboy for 5 years.

I went to St Colmans College for 7 years.

I was never abused (probably related to the fact that I'm an ugly hoor).

Should I be upset that I wasnt abused? Hell, now I'm gonna miss out on the big pay-out. It aint fair. Justice for all. Shame!
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Gnevin

Quote from: Orior on May 25, 2009, 10:08:48 PM

Should I be upset that I wasnt abused? Hell, now I'm gonna miss out on the big pay-out. It aint fair. Justice for all. Shame!
Are you disagreeing with the concept of the abused getting compensation to help with with the suffering and pain the church caused them?

orangeman

The church have no money ?????????

Bollocks they have no money - they've fortunes in cash and very valuable assets.

Orior

Quote from: Gnevin on May 25, 2009, 10:27:36 PM

Are you disagreeing with the concept of the abused getting compensation to help with with the suffering and pain the church caused them?

Yes.

mylestheslasher

Not a thread for humour I don't think.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Orior on May 25, 2009, 10:40:10 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on May 25, 2009, 10:27:36 PM

Yes.

The only thing you could get compensation for is being an idiot and I don't think the church can be held responsible for that. Amazing that this is your first post on what is one of the darkest and shameful episodes in Irelands recent history. 

Lar Naparka

Quote from: orangeman on May 25, 2009, 10:38:59 PM

Bollocks they have no money - they've fortunes in cash and very valuable assets.
Believe it or not, the diocese of Dublin doesn't have a lot of cash at the present time. I believe the same can be said for other dioceses around the country.
Note I am referring to cash and not property or other forms of assets.
A report in a Sunday paper some months ago reported that the money held in stocks and shares is now worth only €4m, whereas it's value was once €25m before the onset of the recession. The same loss of value the reporter assumed was probably the case in every diocese around the country.
Probably the main culprits, the "religious" congregations, are in the same boat and are strapped for readies but they sure do own a lot of properties and lands, most of which was bequeathed to them in wills in former times.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Orior

Yes, there are people in the church who used their position to abuse people. But i think people often go overboard in their criticism. The world was different then. So was society.

- Teachers used to think that canning was agood thing.
- Authorities used to think that people with leaning difficulties could be cured by giving the patient electric shocks.
- My granny was brought up in a Victorian age, and throught that children should be seen and not heard. Whisper and you got a clip on the ear.

I wouldt condone what some of the clerics did, but there are many more good clerics than bad ones.

orangeman

Quote from: Lar Naparka on May 25, 2009, 11:06:57 PM
Quote from: orangeman on May 25, 2009, 10:38:59 PM

Believe it or not, the diocese of Dublin doesn't have a lot of cash at the present time. I believe the same can be said for other dioceses around the country.
Note I am referring to cash and not property or other forms of assets.
A report in a Sunday paper some months ago reported that the money held in stocks and shares is now worth only €4m, whereas it's value was once €25m before the onset of the recession. The same loss of value the reporter assumed was probably the case in every diocese around the country.
Probably the main culprits, the "religious" congregations, are in the same boat and are strapped for readies but they sure do own a lot of properties and lands, most of which was bequeathed to them in wills in former times.

They have serious assets - sell them if they have to.