Road deaths

Started by MaroonAndWhite, February 28, 2008, 09:17:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

In a taxi the other night and the taxi driver was talking about the same subject.

He said people now are far too aggressive. I'd say he's about right. Everyone in a hurry to get everywhere so they go too fast.

There are also a lot of stupid people on the roads. Legislating for what some people could potentially do at times is difficult.

RIP to those involved in accidents.

orangeman

Horrible news. 5 killed today. RIP

gerry

Suprised their not more with some of the driving i see today on the way to and from the match.

Jasus whats your hurry
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

ExiledGael

Drove across the country up north today and the roads were absolutely treacherous. Some shocking showers had left a lot of surface water and flooding on even main roads.
Apparently they veered off course and hit a lorry so wouldn't be surprised if this evening's crash was just a freak accident.

fitzroyalty

RIP. Just passed by the place where it happened as the road was re-opened, it must have been closed all day. That corner is ridiculous

The Subbie

The four lads that died all worked for a Portugeese co working on the new T2 at Dublin airport, same place i work, the site is in a state of shock just now but do you think the DAA would close the place as a mark of respect no chance.

Very very sad all round, RIP.

Doogie Browser

I was coming back from Dublin when I heard about the tragic crash in Tandragree, one of the lads with me said as soon as we heard that its usually foreign nationals involved when there are multiple casualities like that.  Sadly he was proved correct, there has been a high incidence of accidents involving foreign nationals in recent times but I wonder is it disproportionate?

Sandino

Another sad stat is that 25% of road deaths are alcohol related. We still live in a country where people think they can take a powerful drug and get behind the wheeh of a car!
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

Orior

On my hols last week, and got a bus from the airport to my destination.

Through out the whole journey along winding coastal roads the driver had his mobile phone to his ear. I had to remind my self a few times to relax and that I'm on my holidays because I had a terrible urge to go up to the front of the bus and shove the mobile phone up the arse of the bus driver.

Orior's Request to all GAA Board Users
========================
Next time you phone a lorry driver, or bus driver on his mobile phone, could you please ask him if he's on the road before launching into a 60 chat? If he is driving, then please hang up.

Thanks awfully.
Regards
Orior
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Ellie84

people using their fone while driving really pisses me off. always always see it. had an argument with a friend of mine a few weeks back when, within the space of half an hour, she near went in2 the back of the car in front TWICE cos she was texting. she didnt see what the problem was and laughed about it. "i can text and drive at the same time, i hardly look at the fone" she said. i told her to never txt while im in the car with her and she laughed again. people just don't take the law seriously enough. laws are there for a reason.

Son_of_Sam

Speed, tailgating & dangerous overtaking, why people creep up behind you even though you are at the limit or safest legal fast speed you can go and then try and overtake you approaching a blind bend or a hump in the road when there is clearly not enough time if there is a car coming the other way.

Sandino

I think road safety is a very important issue and many posters may have been touched by accidents etc, I think it reflects on society in general there is so little discussion on this topic on this board but if it were about flags of kerbstones discussion would run to 20 pages.

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Sandino on August 24, 2009, 02:49:54 PM
I think road safety is a very important issue and many posters may have been touched by accidents etc, I think it reflects on society in general there is so little discussion on this topic on this board but if it were about flags of kerbstones discussion would run to 20 pages.
I started a thread on roads carnage a few months back and for whatever reason it provoked little or no debate.

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=12204.0

Sandino

Just checked that link and less than 2 pages of discussion. We need to have a major rethink about we drive on our roads in this country. 

blewuporstuffed

have to agree, some of the driving on the roads is shocking.
even some of the tings tyou see people do on the way down to a game amazes me, with rash over taking and the like.Its not just boy racers either, we are talking about middle aged men/women with their families in the car out fo a day out at croke park.
if you cant take the time out to give up a whole day to go to a game with out rushing to/from the game endangering you and everyone else, then stay at home.
the atitude towards drink driving by alot of people pisses me off aswell, how some people can still see it as aceptable behaviour is beyond me
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either