Ulster Club SFC 2018

Started by oakleaflad, October 03, 2018, 09:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

befair

Looks like very strong teams coming from the other provinces this year; Corofin, Dr Crokes, + Kilmacud Crokes. I'll be pleasantly surprised if the Ulster champions match up to them

straightred

Quote from: Schkite on November 18, 2018, 05:01:24 PM
Gweedore favorites for the final based on today's performances

Yeah i think so. Scostown got over the line without playing well. The coleraine lad who missed a sitter (hit the bar with the goal gaping) won't sleep well tonight. Should have been 6 up but Scotstown went straight down and scored a point about 10 secs later and the gap was 2. Scotstown didn't panic. Draw and ET might have been fairer but when Beggan got that chance he was never going to miss.

Thought cross were really poor in 1st half. 1st 2 goals Gwedore basically ran down the middle unchallenged. They couldn't believe their luck. Nobody marked McNiallis either. That won't happen in the final. Close to call - maybe scoststown's experience will tell (it certainly did today anyway)

lenny

Quote from: straightred on November 18, 2018, 07:41:25 PM

Yeah i think so. Scostown got over the line without playing well. The coleraine lad who missed a sitter (hit the bar with the goal gaping) won't sleep well tonight. Should have been 6 up but Scotstown went straight down and scored a point about 10 secs later and the gap was 2. Scotstown didn't panic. Draw and ET might have been fairer but when Beggan got that chance he was never going to miss.

Thought cross were really poor in 1st half. 1st 2 goals Gwedore basically ran down the middle unchallenged. They couldn't believe their luck. Nobody marked McNiallis either. That won't happen in the final. Close to call - maybe scoststown's experience will tell (it certainly did today anyway)

Niall holly going off injured was the main turning point. Great player and irreplaceable for coleraine. They were 4 up and in control when he went off.

straightred

Quote from: lenny on November 18, 2018, 07:50:17 PM
Quote from: straightred on November 18, 2018, 07:41:25 PM

Niall holly going off injured was the main turning point. Great player and irreplaceable for coleraine. They were 4 up and in control when he went off.

yeah fair point

Armaghtothebone

Quote from: Over the Bar on November 18, 2018, 04:54:29 PM
Cross at the same aul bad-loser craic as when Errigal Ciaran used to bate them out the door!   8)

Tell us all about the time Errigal won the All Ireland

Throw ball

Quote from: Armaghtothebone on November 18, 2018, 08:35:50 PM
Cross at the same aul bad-loser craic as when Errigal Ciaran used to bate them out the door!   8)

Don't waste your time arguing !

Main Street

Just how many steps did Mullan manage to take before belting the ball to the net for Coleraine's first? had to be in the double digits?
Over 7 minutes of highlights here on the BBC https://www.bbc.com/sport/av/gaelic-games/46256354
The late free at the death came after McCarthy sent a careless hospital pass cross field which Morgan got to first before being felled. It looked a soft free at first but after a second viewing I think the ref got it right.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Throw ball on November 18, 2018, 08:43:33 PM
Quote from: Armaghtothebone on November 18, 2018, 08:35:50 PM

Don't waste your time arguing !

We have played EC in 3 different championships. They beat us twice we won once.  First time they beat us by 2, second time by 3 after 2 drawn matches and third time we won by 6. I think on that basis we are the only ones who did any bateing through the gate! 

More important congrats to Gweedore today. They scored the goals at key times and just had a bit too much strength and speed. We will regroup and learn hopefully. We will have Jamie back next year and that will add another dimension to the team and the young lads will have developed well from this years experience. Best of luck to the Donegal men in the final.

Orior

The Gweedore v Cross match today was unusual in that its been a very very long time since I had seen a drop kick. And I assume McKenna meant it.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Main Street on November 18, 2018, 09:14:16 PM

Difficult to tell, given the sort steps, but I'd reckon 10 / 11 steps. The first goal for Scotstown I reckon was 9 / 10 steps. These things are rarely given.

Main Street

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on November 18, 2018, 10:03:23 PM
Quote from: Main Street on November 18, 2018, 09:14:16 PM

Difficult to tell, given the sort steps, but I'd reckon 10 / 11 steps. The first goal for Scotstown I reckon was 9 / 10 steps. These things are rarely given.
Conor McCarthy shot for goal after the 4th step and before the 5th, where on earth do you get 9 or 10 from?

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Main Street on November 18, 2018, 10:46:25 PM
Conor McCarthy shot for goal after the 4th step and before the 5th, where on earth do you get 9 or 10 from?

My bad - advanced maths isn't my thing unfortunately. Looking more closely I think it was seven steps and shot on the eighth, but regardless of numbers, my underlying point still stands in that steps are rarely given and almost every solo run has a series of misdemeanours. 

Main Street

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on November 18, 2018, 11:08:12 PM
Quote from: Main Street on November 18, 2018, 10:46:25 PM

My bad - advanced maths isn't my thing unfortunately. Looking more closely I think it was seven steps and shot on the eighth, but regardless of numbers, my underlying point still stands in that steps are rarely given and almost every solo run has a series of misdemeanours.
Your bad is right,  it's not advanced maths ,it's counting steps is not your thing, how difficult can it be? one, two three four  shoot? What an idiot  ;D
The relevance of your underlying point has no bearing on Conor McCarthy's  magical goal.

shawshank

Surprised there is no mention of it, but Gweedores third gl was not a penalty, big call by the ref that had a big bearing on the game. It was a fair side to side hit

lenny

Quote from: shawshank on November 19, 2018, 12:14:09 AM
Surprised there is no mention of it, but Gweedores third gl was not a penalty, big call by the ref that had a big bearing on the game. It was a fair side to side hit

Totally agree. It really pisses me off when refs blow up this sort of challenge. Ffs there has to be some physicality in the game and this was a perfectly timed shoulder.