Tyrone v Monaghan, Sun 20th May, Healy Park

Started by tyroneman, April 04, 2018, 06:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

straightred

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 21, 2018, 08:52:13 AM
Congrats Monaghan, better team won and showed a lot more hunger and attacking ideas. Well organised at the back and bossed us around midfield. Most of our big "name" players like Matty and Pete were largely anonymous again but there seemed to be a lot of stuff going on towards Peter that was going unpunished.
The Ref did us no favours I felt as he seemed to punish us with cards for tackles that he was letting much worse go for them but alas that's football sometimes and as Harte says we learn more from losing, hopefully anyway.

Monaghan will go well this year and its a huge scalp for them despite what O'Rourke said on his BBC interview.
Last Aug Tyrone were ONE of the fancied teams and so to beat them in their own back yard is not to be sneezed at.
They've a poor record against us and with Beggan and Mansy flawless from frees unlike Morgan who continues to rise the other team with his antics.

I think the thing that annoyed me the most was how we were the home team but we allowed Monaghan to bully us all over the park and not show some balls. Too many nicey players who are terrified of getting a yellow card in case they get hauled off and lose their place then to someone else.

The lack of forwards on our sub bench says it all for me

Congrats again to Monaghan. I hope ye shock a few other people this year and finally get a win in Croker.
Since beating Down there last July or since beating Dublin in the league in March  :-\

blewuporstuffed

I have some sympathy for RON here, but we needed players to take the game by the scruff of the neck and demand the ball in that period. Mcalsikey did damage with what little ball went in.
Peter Harte probably should have been taken off by that stage as he offered us nothing either.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Schkite

Congrats Monaghan, better team won and showed a lot more hunger and attacking ideas. Well organised at the back and bossed us around midfield. Most of our big "name" players like Matty and Pete were largely anonymous again but there seemed to be a lot of stuff going on towards Peter that was going unpunished.
The Ref did us no favours I felt as he seemed to punish us with cards for tackles that he was letting much worse go for them but alas that's football sometimes and as Harte says we learn more from losing, hopefully anyway.

Monaghan will go well this year and its a huge scalp for them despite what O'Rourke said on his BBC interview.
Last Aug Tyrone were ONE of the fancied teams and so to beat them in their own back yard is not to be sneezed at.
They've a poor record against us and with Beggan and Mansy flawless from frees unlike Morgan who continues to rise the other team with his antics.

I think the thing that annoyed me the most was how we were the home team but we allowed Monaghan to bully us all over the park and not show some balls. Too many nicey players who are terrified of getting a yellow card in case they get hauled off and lose their place then to someone else.

Congrats again to Monaghan. I hope ye shock a few other people this year and finally get a win against a top team in Croker and not just a meaningless B team.

Nice post full of back handed compliments there.

It was an important win yes, but not the huge scalp that you're making it out to be. Monaghan people were pretty confident of getting a result here and yesterday we seen why.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Have to say this was a most enjoyable game to watch. Think the Corey goal was a crucial score just before the break. Really more than 3 pts that one. Both teams played some good football but Monaghan did look a bit more honed and they have clearly put in a serious amount of work and thought to their game since last year even. As an attacking force, they could be very hard to contain now IF they can perform in Croker.
Tyrone should do well in the back door and will be there or thereabouts yet. Clearly things not totally right in the camp and as others say, couldn't believe when I saw a player remonstrate with Mickey Harte!
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

seafoid

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on May 21, 2018, 12:54:45 AM
Quote from: Main Street on May 21, 2018, 12:38:19 AM
Tyronies are now reduced to crawling around the floor of their cave  looking for crumbs  ;D

Can't say i didn't tell you the bell was tolling for Tyrone this year and Monaghan would not just prevail but prevail with ease.

Only a Clontibret neolith could get so exercised about a first round Ulster victory, regardless of against whom, to the degree of delusion that has him thinking it's epoch making.  :P
It's a literary device with a long pedigree in Ulster.

A bhonnán bhuí, is é mo léan do luí,
Is do chnámha sínte tar éis do ghrinn,
Is chan easba bidh ach díobháil dí
a d'fhág i do luí thú ar chúl do chinn.
Is measa liom féin ná scrios na Traoi
Tú bheith i do luí ar leaca lom',
Is nach ndearna tú díth ná dolaidh sa tír,
Is nárbh fhearra leat fíon ná uisce poll.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

straightred

Congrats again to Monaghan. I hope ye shock a few other people this year and finally get a win against a top team in Croker and not just a meaningless B team.
what just happened  :)

Firstly yesterday wasn't a shock to me anyway. I took them at 2/1 and I think they even started at 21/10. Bet of the week. They're a much more balanced side now than they were a few years ago with good championship caliber subs for most positions. 10 different scorers in those conditions with defenders getting in on the act.

I half agree with you on the croker thing but their record isn't half as bad as its made out to be. They have won important r4 qualifier games there in the last few years as well as beating the Dublin Bs. The draws haven't been kind in the 1/4s. Always Kerry/Dublin/Tyrone. That's the way it goes and you take what you get - the super 8s changes that this year. They've put themselves in a great position to do some damage.

oakleaflad

Quote from: trileacman on May 20, 2018, 10:12:08 PM
Fair play Monaghan. The better team, good plan, good players. They've two weaknesses. Drew Wylie is done. Harrison and now Mc aliskey have taken him to the cleaners. What's the story with D Hughes? Wasn't his hugely effective self, looked like colly cav - not match fit or sharp. K Hughes was immense, gave Hampsey a tight game. You need to do something about drew if you're to go down and beat mayo, Dublin and Kerry which I hope you do. Congratulations on a real good spirited game too with the only exception being the sledging of Peter Harte by Monaghan players and Morgan's dangerous lunge. Minor enough infringements in the grand scheme of Ulster championship football.

Really impressed by the lack of play acting by either side. Plenty of flashpoints but most men hopped up to their feet after hits that would have left Galway men rolling up the pitch.

Mixed bag for Tyrone. Obviously we're playing a more expansive game plan and there was some great ball fed into Brennan who won them all but was reluctant, after his block to face his man and take him on. Mc Aliskey had his best Tyrone performance in 3 years. Mc namee in great form, actually had Mc manus in his pocket for for 70 mins till he cut loose in the last 5. He'll not face too many forwards of that calibre going forward in the championship. Hampsey is able for the cut and thrust of championship and it was good to see Hugh pat back in the mix. Nullified Mc carrons big influence on the game in the last 20 mins. Sparky had seen a world of ball until his injury, he was very unlucky. Full back and full forward lines were untypically adept today.

Middle third was a shit show with the exception of Mc cann and Donnelly who intercepted their fair share. Monaghan squeezed the middle 3rd with their typical physical presence. Colly, sludden, Mc Shane had limited effect on proceedings. Pete was a no show, should have been first to be called ashore. Conal and Ron were a disgrace, would have faired better with 14 men, Mc Clure again huffed and puffed to no great effectiveness. Morgan was the worst, religiously costs us 1-2 points a game with ineffective kick outs or septic attempts at free taking, a liability long before today and it's high time o Neill got a solid run in nets, he couldn't be any worse.

Ulster champs are in a super 8 group with Dublin so might be no loss this year to relinquish an Ulster title. A few handy draws against the minnows may bring colly and Mc cann back into match sharpness and allow Brennan and Mc aliskey build confidence by running up scores against teams who believe they belong in a b championship. With Dublin, galway, Monaghan and Kerry to come through the front door there's no sharks in the qualifiers.

Bring it on.
For what it's worth I actually thought McCann was pretty poor. Thought Burns had a great game though, turned over a lot of ball and was probably your second best on the day after McAliskey. Hugh Pat and McKernan did rightly after coming off the bench and shouldn't be too far off starting also.

Maroon Manc

What age are the 2 Hughes brothers?

Thought McAnespie was very good, did the job Dessie Ward failed to do.

Watched the game at 7 and didn't know the result, said to the wife McManus was very quiet after about 60 mins, wasn't sure he was still on the pitch but what a 10 minute spell from him which showed us why he's the best footballer in the country.

WT4E

Quote from: Taylor on May 21, 2018, 08:24:42 AM
Jaysus but where would a man start analysing the game.

MH has to take a lot of responsibility for this loss. I am still a great fan of his but we have to call a spade a spade.

Collie obviously wasnt fit but still started and Brennan seemed to run out of steam. Surely if both boys could only play a certain amount of time they would be better coming off the bench?
His treatment of RON is an absolute disgrace. Used him as a scapegoat.
It is good to see we now have a full forward line rather than 1 player up front but we now have nothing on the 40.

Didnt see the Morgan kick while at the game and genuinely thought Mc Carron was playacting but after watching it at home it was a clear red. What did the umpires see to warrant a yellow?

A few Monaghan mucksavages in the stands would do well to wash their mouths out this morning.

I think this shows alot when you consider a limited club manager would do something like this - When alls going wrong for your team out the field take the corner forward off!  ::)

Schkite

Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 21, 2018, 10:29:20 AM

Darren would be 31 sometime this year and Kieran would be around 27/28

Taylor

Quote from: WT4E on May 21, 2018, 10:38:06 AM
Quote from: Taylor on May 21, 2018, 08:24:42 AM
Jaysus but where would a man start analysing the game.

MH has to take a lot of responsibility for this loss. I am still a great fan of his but we have to call a spade a spade.

Collie obviously wasnt fit but still started and Brennan seemed to run out of steam. Surely if both boys could only play a certain amount of time they would be better coming off the bench?
His treatment of RON is an absolute disgrace. Used him as a scapegoat.
It is good to see we now have a full forward line rather than 1 player up front but we now have nothing on the 40.

Didnt see the Morgan kick while at the game and genuinely thought Mc Carron was playacting but after watching it at home it was a clear red. What did the umpires see to warrant a yellow?

A few Monaghan mucksavages in the stands would do well to wash their mouths out this morning.

I think this shows alot when you consider a limited club manager would do something like this - When alls going wrong for your team out the field take the corner forward off!  ::)

Point I made in Tyrone section which some dont like as it questions MH.

I understand ONeill wasnt playing well but surely at this level we need to address where the actual problems were stemming from.

WTF we were hoping to achieve by taking off the corner forward I dont know. We were getting over ran in the middle.

Monaghan running at angles and pulling us all over the place.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Schkite on May 21, 2018, 10:46:21 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 21, 2018, 10:29:20 AM

Darren would be 31 sometime this year and Kieran would be around 27/28

Cheers, for some reason thought they were younger.

seafoid

Quote from: stephenite on May 21, 2018, 12:54:59 AM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on May 21, 2018, 12:13:49 AM
Quote from: Blowitupref on May 21, 2018, 12:04:20 AM
Good round 1 wins for both but no guarantee that Monaghan or Galway are coming through the front door yet.  Mayo would be a shark in the qualifiers for Tyrone given their less than great championship record v them.

The Qualifiers, as Mayo themselves have previously pointed out to us, is not the Championship, and as it stands right now we have a positive 100% record against Mayo in the Qualifiers, having beaten them in 2008.  ;)

Tyrone would be as much a shark for Mayo

There is a film of what it would be like starring Russell Crowe as Mayo with Joaquin Phoenix in the red and white of Tyrone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYNWgLJNW9g
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

gallsman

Very enjoyable game, especially considering the conditions and thought Monaghan thoroughly deserved the win. Pulled away when it mattered.

Don't think anyone can give out about Harte's "treatment" of RON. He was brought on to make an impact and at a time they were chasing the game he couldn't get on the ball at all.

Anyone notice the Tyrone strategy on the throw in? In the first half Collie Cavanagh didn't bother competing for the ball and was fully focused on pushing and shoving his man, not even looking at the ball. His man ended up winning the break.

WT4E

Quote from: gallsman on May 21, 2018, 11:11:20 AM
Very enjoyable game, especially considering the conditions and thought Monaghan thoroughly deserved the win. Pulled away when it mattered.

Don't think anyone can give out about Harte's "treatment" of RON. He was brought on to make an impact and at a time they were chasing the game he couldn't get on the ball at all.

Anyone notice the Tyrone strategy on the throw in? In the first half Collie Cavanagh didn't bother competing for the ball and was fully focused on pushing and shoving his man, not even looking at the ball. His man ended up winning the break.

Noticed this too - I think it sums up Tyrone - they seem to be trained to a point where they don't think off the cuff anymore.

Also sorry if already asked but who made the decision for Morgan to come up and hit that free - thought that day was over and looked like Brennan wanted it. Surely the management has to make that call and if they did it was another mistake.