Arlene's bigotry shines through

Started by StGallsGAA, February 14, 2018, 01:13:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haranguerer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-43069450

Just on equality, noteworthy that every time there are articles like this on the BBC, there are two unionist viewpoints given (Beltel and Newsletter) v 1 nationalist viewpoint (IN). BBCNI is supposed to represent the people here - yet their analysis articles are regularly skewed and propogate the notion that nationalism is being unreasonable. Part of the problem...

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 15, 2018, 07:54:39 AM
Forget Brexit forget the executive.. this will always be green and orange politics... most voters are completely blinded by this and regardless of what's happens in the world this place will remain in the dark ages
I think it's all down to how the British do things. They tend to polarise. It is either or. Never the optimal mix. Same with languages. There was English or nothing. Always the same going back to Henry 8.

NI would be better off with a federal structure. Let Orange and green run their own affairs. No need for an ILA in Orange areas. No need for parades in Green areas.   
Focus on potential. Not on polarisation.

NI has a very interesting cultural mix that could be leveraged but it needs a different setting.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Owen Brannigan

Probably the best remark from a pundit last night came from David McCann who pointed out that unionist politicians had form when it came to refusing to make small concessions that would make huge differences in diffusing or improving the situation but which would be seen in hindsight as huge mistakes. 

For example, a few simple, timely concessions in late 1968 to the original Civil Rights protests and not using state force to attempt to break them would have changed history completely.  They claimed the Civil Rights movement was the IRA attempting to overthrow the state and had to be put down. We now know that only Declan Kearney believes that nonsense.

Unionist politicians always manage to revert to some bogeyman in their refusal to lose their unionist hegemony that exists purely within their own psyche.  Unionist politicians cannot move on in their own minds despite the majority of the PUL population being very far down the road from them.

yellowcard

Unionism is just buying itself some time by continuing to say no but the anger from nationalists is palpable after yesterdays latest collapse. Arlene Foster has reawakened nationalism in a way that Paisley and Robinson failed to do and nationalists are just fed up to the back teeth of being forced to accept attempted unionist dominance and sneering.   

You would also think that Jim Allister is on a retainer from Stephen Nolan or how is an insular thinking backward bigot like him given so much air time.

Ty4Sam

Quote from: yellowcard on February 15, 2018, 09:25:28 AM
Unionism is just buying itself some time by continuing to say no but the anger from nationalists is palpable after yesterdays latest collapse. Arlene Foster has reawakened nationalism in a way that Paisley and Robinson failed to do and nationalists are just fed up to the back teeth of being forced to accept attempted unionist dominance and sneering.   

You would also think that Jim Allister is on a retainer from Stephen Nolan or how is an insular thinking backward bigot like him given so much air time.

Allister is on Nolan for the simple reason that you just proved. He stokes the fires, causes anger/reaction and people to comment on him/Nolan thus keeping Nolan relevant. Ignore/turn off Nolan, best thing I've did in years. I haven't watched Nolan in around 2 years but I could tell you exactly how the show went last night.

smelmoth

Quote from: Snapchap on February 14, 2018, 11:17:57 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on February 14, 2018, 10:47:51 PM
Quote from: Snapchap on February 14, 2018, 10:43:03 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 14, 2018, 10:32:06 PM
cannot believe the assembly politicians are being paid

same as the sinn fein mps not taking their seats

They are still providing a full constituency service.

They are elected to a body that's not sitting. Stop the pay now

They still operate a full constituency service. What part of that do you struggle with?

Your right. Let each MLA submit a monthly list of achievements for their constituents and we will work out a way of paying them a rate for each achievement

Minder

Maybe I am wrong but I thought I read somewhere yesterday that Michelle O'Neill said there was a deal reached, which I would assume included some sort of ILA acceptable to SF, but the DUP couldn't sell it to their wider party and base.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

smelmoth

Quote from: Hereiam on February 15, 2018, 12:03:10 AM
Quote from: Minder on February 14, 2018, 11:05:19 PM
Universal Credit coming to SF & DUP strongholds in Belfast in the next few months, they are in no hurry
That is it in a nutshell minder. Alot of hurt coming so if they are not in office its not there fault. We also have brexit which SF are hoping will be bad so it will harden the support for a UI

The worse the brexit deal is for RoI the more likely Irexit becomes. Which hardly weakens ties with U.K.

smelmoth

Quote from: Minder on February 15, 2018, 09:40:35 AM
Maybe I am wrong but I thought I read somewhere yesterday that Michelle O'Neill said there was a deal reached, which I would assume included some sort of ILA acceptable to SF, but the DUP couldn't sell it to their wider party and base.

That seems to be the way of it

magpie seanie

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on February 15, 2018, 09:22:32 AM
Probably the best remark from a pundit last night came from David McCann who pointed out that unionist politicians had form when it came to refusing to make small concessions that would make huge differences in diffusing or improving the situation but which would be seen in hindsight as huge mistakes. 

For example, a few simple, timely concessions in late 1968 to the original Civil Rights protests and not using state force to attempt to break them would have changed history completely.  They claimed the Civil Rights movement was the IRA attempting to overthrow the state and had to be put down. We now know that only Declan Kearney believes that nonsense.

Unionist politicians always manage to revert to some bogeyman in their refusal to lose their unionist hegemony that exists purely within their own psyche.  Unionist politicians cannot move on in their own minds despite the majority of the PUL population being very far down the road from them.

Excellent post. When it comes to the crunch unionist leaders basically do not see nationalists as equal. They cannot give up their hegemony.

The sands of time are working against them big time though. They need a different direction but are utterly incapable of doing anything about it.

johnneycool

Quote from: haranguerer on February 15, 2018, 09:09:45 AM

Just on equality, noteworthy that every time there are articles like this on the BBC, there are two unionist viewpoints given (Beltel and Newsletter) v 1 nationalist viewpoint (IN). BBCNI is supposed to represent the people here - yet their analysis articles are regularly skewed and propogate the notion that nationalism is being unreasonable. Part of the problem...

You gotta love the Newsletter;

"The divorce is a "grim milestone for Northern Ireland", it says, but a "necessary" one.

Sinn Féin has "greatly destabilised" the region and "fuelled grievance among young nationalists".

The newspaper accuses republicans of hypocrisy, saying: "[They] hound Arlene Foster no matter what she says, yet behave in a far more disrespectful way than Mrs Foster has ever done.""

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: johnneycool on February 15, 2018, 09:48:17 AM
Quote from: haranguerer on February 15, 2018, 09:09:45 AM

You gotta love the Newsletter;

"The divorce is a "grim milestone for Northern Ireland", it says, but a "necessary" one.

Sinn Féin has "greatly destabilised" the region and "fuelled grievance among young nationalists".

The newspaper accuses republicans of hypocrisy, saying: "[They] hound Arlene Foster no matter what she says, yet behave in a far more disrespectful way than Mrs Foster has ever done.""

Never expect anything of a pig but a grunt
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

manfromdelmonte

to be honest I'm caring less and less about the north

its funny a load of people getting worked up about a dying language that most people cannot speak or understand

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Ty4Sam on February 15, 2018, 09:33:05 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on February 15, 2018, 09:25:28 AM

Allister is on Nolan for the simple reason that you just proved. He stokes the fires, causes anger/reaction and people to comment on him/Nolan thus keeping Nolan relevant. Ignore/turn off Nolan, best thing I've did in years. I haven't watched Nolan in around 2 years but I could tell you exactly how the show went last night.
I've given up on Nolan now as well, and I actually think that show is part of the problem here. Its main objective seem to be to polarise people as much as possible in order to create outrage and therefore ratings.
Jim Allisters party got around 3000 votes in the last election, yet he is constantly on Nolan as if he has any sort of mandate. The same with Bryson.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

stew

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 15, 2018, 09:53:25 AM
to be honest I'm caring less and less about the north

its funny a load of people getting worked up about a dying language that most people cannot speak or understand

Whats funny is a fool who thinks his countrys Language is dying when in fact it is thriving, the Irish language will not die, it will continue to grow despite the apathy of west brits and unionists/loyalists.

I for one dont give a damn what you think of the north of Ireland, K?
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.