Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GetOverTheBar

After the Kerry game I said it wasn't such a big deal. Anyone could lose a contest against a team on the similar level on day one of the league.

Today was a big deal, shocking, shocking performance. At no stage did this even look like a contest.

Too many of Tyrone's supposed 'stellar' players had no interest in playing in the rain.

Mayo taught Tyrone a lesson today and considering Roscommon just beat Monaghan too they'll be licking their lips for the next one.

reddgnhand

Same error ridden rubbish.  Is Peter Harte undroppable. Tyrone cant kick pass full stop. What do they be doing in training. Need a new voice.

stillsenior

Harte hasn't adapted to the forward mark in that he still advocates the slow ponderous build up although to be fair to him there seems to be a real shortage of scoring forwards in the county at the minute. However to substitute McCurry with McCann is madness. I know McCurry missed a few today but there are better players in the county than McCann, in fact there are better forwards in St Mary's Killyclogher than him and I'm talking about the primary school! 

clarshack

Quote from: stillsenior on February 03, 2019, 06:21:48 PM
Harte hasn't adapted to the forward mark in that he still advocates the slow ponderous build up although to be fair to him there seems to be a real shortage of scoring forwards in the county at the minute. However to substitute McCurry with McCann is madness. I know McCurry missed a few today but there are better players in the county than McCann, in fact there are better forwards in St Mary's Killyclogher than him and I'm talking about the primary school!

Totally agree. If you are going to take a scoring forward off, at least replace him with somebody that might get a score themselves.

Under Lights

MH said himself in the interview after that game that it became a damage limitation job.

stillsenior

Quote from: Under Lights on February 03, 2019, 08:12:13 PM
MH said himself in the interview after that game that it became a damage limitation job.

Harte hasn't adapted to the forward mark in that he still advocates the slow ponderous build up although to be fair to him there seems to be a real shortage of scoring forwards in the county at the minute. However to substitute McCurry with McCann is madness. I know McCurry missed a few today but there are better players in the county than McCann, in fact there are better defenders in St Mary's Killyclogher than him and I'm talking about the primary school!

Slight change then ;)

omagh_gael

It wasn't damage limitation when McCurry was taken off. It was 45mins and a small chance of catching them still existed. That was an unbelievable substitution. No harm to the lad but Conal isn't the man to up the intensity and bring a scoring threat to the game.

A worrying trend is we're two games in (I think I'm right here) and we haven't created one genuine goal chance. Can't even think of one half chance.

Our whole forward unit was totally and utterly impotent. No threat whatsoever. Our support play was dung, our basic skills were dung and our finishing was dung. Would love to see the stats on teams that drop the ball into the keepers arms. It seems to be like we've an awful habit of this. Maybe bias at play here but by f**k it happens so much.

southtyronegael

the worst thing about the mc curry substitution was that it happened directly after he managed to get a score. surely should have give him another 5 or 10mins to see if it had helped his confidence. I said it after last years ai final that this is the worst coached tyrone attack that I have ever seen. look how slick mayos forward play was compared to us and they have a lot of new lads in but already look like they have been playing together for years. and don't be worrying about goals lads, we will score hatfulls of them against lower division teams in the championship.

RedHand88

In fairness with regards the mccurry sub, it was organised before the free. Are you able to cancel a sub like that at the last second?

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: RedHand88 on February 03, 2019, 11:11:44 PM
In fairness with regards the mccurry sub, it was organised before the free. Are you able to cancel a sub like that at the last second?
I dont really have an issue with him taking McCurry off, I thought he was very poor. The problem was we didnt bring a player on for him  that could get us scores when we were chasing the game.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Under Lights

McCurry was very poor and rightly taken off. Wasn't many inside options on the bench yesterday- Ronan O'Neill just whom didn't get on

bigpackiechestout

I wouldn't panic yet. We lost out first three league games last year and still reached the All-Ireland final, and I still expect us to pick up enough points to stay up.

However what is worrying is that it seems to be the same old failings holding us back. Number one, yesterday for me showed that we don't have the man markers in defence to play an open style of football. The conditions yesterday were ideal for defenders and it was far from Mayo's first choice forward line yet our full-back line was beaten to the ball every time and they had runners slicing through our centre at will.

Number two, free kicks. This has been an issue for I don't know how many years now and it is getting no better. McCurry actually missed a couple of handy ones in the McKenna cup final too but this flew under the radar because he scored 4 or 5 even handier ones. There is simply no excuse for this and players need to take ownership, there's only so much management can do about something like that. Lee Brennan also kicked a couple short yesterday when everyone in the stand knew he wouldn't have the distance on a day like that. Surely management should be instructing us to take them quickly and work a short if we aren't capable of putting it over?

Three - there is a slightly worrying trend of lads stagnating or going backwards after a few years on the panel, and I'm talking about lads who actually get game time. Would anyone say that Declan McClure, Conall McCann, Rory Brennan, Ronan O'Neill are better players than they were 2 or 3 years ago? These are young lads who should be improving but for some it doesn't seem to be the case.

As I say, no point panicking yet but we don't have the look of a team ready to push on and really challenge the Dubs after reaching the final last year.

southtyronegael

How can players improve if they are hamstrung by the system of play? No point blaming individual forwards when they clearly aren't coached right. Lads lose confidence. How come James Horan can put together a ramshackle forward line of young lads and a 35 Ur old and still be so slick? All down to coaching and practice on the training field.

bigtogs

Full range of questions, most of them have been lingering about for a year or 2 now, Getting to the All Ireland final last year glossed over a few burning issues in my mind anyway, Mayo not making the super 8's and avoiding Kerry in the group section left us is a a position we would have accepted to reach reach the All Ireland Final having to beat one none Ulster team on the way.... are we improving as a team??? are we getting the most out of the players we have available to us??? are we trying to adopt to the new rules??? Dont know on how many occasions yesterday our last line of defence was a forward!!! Mayo's second goal our last defender was Conall McCann we looked all over the place in was shocking.... we hand pass the ball in the defensive area of the field while the opposition filter back and black off most avenues of potential attacks....it is so slow and predictable it is bordering on absolute stupidity to persist with it.... is the management the problem?? is the players the problem??? or we not just good enough??? maybe a mixture of all 3....personally at this stage Mickey is not improving players individually and possibly we need a new voice/system/set-up just to freshen things up a little.... My fear is he stays on too long( we may be there already) he undoes all the good work and greatness he brought to us albeit it seems a longtime ago at this stage.... 

clarshack

Quote from: Under Lights on February 04, 2019, 10:41:14 AM
McCurry was very poor and rightly taken off. Wasn't many inside options on the bench yesterday- Ronan O'Neill just whom didn't get on

it doesn't say much for Ronan O'Neill's place on the squad when McCurry was replaced by Conal McCann.