Alan O'Connor sending off.

Started by mournerambler, August 23, 2009, 04:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandino

I agree rrhf I would hate to see anyone miss an All Ireland final and I dont want anyone to miss this years final in this manner. However I would hope that video or selective evidence is either used against everyone or no one and not just used on a slective basis as dictated by some gombeen of a pundit getting paid for their opinion.
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

INDIANA

Quote from: rrhf on August 25, 2009, 01:18:15 PM
I just hope nobody gets suspended for the all ireland final - the games over this ccccctv crap needs done away with.   We dont want an all ireland final with a suspension / appeal hanging over it.  Please dont create a nightmare lads.   

If it was Ciaran Whelan you and many others would be asking for him to be suspended.

blewuporstuffed

i wont wish missing out on an allireland final on anyone either, but how do they decide when to use video evidence and when not to? they surely cant say, aw we'll let him off this time as its the allireland final coming up :-[
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

INDIANA

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on August 25, 2009, 01:30:55 PM
i wont wish missing out on an allireland final on anyone either, but how do they decide when to use video evidence and when not to? they surely cant say, aw we'll let him off this time as its the allireland final coming up :-[

Thats my point.

Sandino

Indianna in answer to your question i would have no probs saying the same about Whelan, its the double standards which get to me. Either everone is tried by video or no-one. I bet though if it had been whelan or ricey there would have been plenty of calls for either to miss the final. Double standards.

INDIANA

Quote from: Sandino on August 25, 2009, 01:34:55 PM
Indianna in answer to your question i would have no probs saying the same about Whelan, its the double standards which get to me. Either everone is tried by video or no-one. I bet though if it had been whelan or ricey there would have been plenty of calls for either to miss the final. Double standards.

I  agree completely.

orangeman

I hope John Bannon doesn't end up with the AI final. Mc Enaney will get it if it'S Kerry v Cork. Would he still get it if Meath were involved given the proximity of Monaghan to Meath ?

Sandino

I hope he gets it no matter who wins the semi final. However I predict that if he makes one dodgy decision some elements of the media will go to town on him, to 'prove he's no better that the others' I sure hope I'm wrong on this issue.

rrhf

Quote from: INDIANA on August 25, 2009, 01:28:27 PM
I just hope nobody gets suspended for the all ireland final - the games over this ccccctv crap needs done away with.   We dont want an all ireland final with a suspension / appeal hanging over it.  Please dont create a nightmare lads.   

If it was Ciaran Whelan you and many others would be asking for him to be suspended.
Bullshit, ye obviously havent been following my posts re whelan.  A long time suporter of he is me.   

Farrandeelin

Quote from: orangeman on August 25, 2009, 02:17:09 PM
I hope John Bannon doesn't end up with the AI final. Mc Enaney will get it if it'S Kerry v Cork. Would he still get it if Meath were involved given the proximity of Monaghan to Meath ?

He got it in 1996. Proximity wasn't an issue then.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

INDIANA

Quote from: rrhf on August 25, 2009, 03:37:16 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 25, 2009, 01:28:27 PM

Bullshit, ye obviously havent been following my posts re whelan.  A long time suporter of he is me.

Must have missed that one ;D. Just saying that can we suspend the rules of the game for finals?

muppet

People here seem to have decided that Miskella definitely punched McGuigan.

I think there is at least reasonable doubt looking at the only video angle available (if there is another please post a link).

My money is on Miskella playing the final.
MWWSI 2017

orangeman

Quote from: muppet on August 25, 2009, 05:59:54 PM

I think there is at least reasonable doubt looking at the only video angle available (if there is another please post a link).

The Indo believes so as well :

By Colm Keys

Tuesday August 25 2009

John Bannon's last act as an inter-county referee could be to reflect on whether he should have sent off John Miskella in Sunday's All-Ireland semi-final against Tyrone.

The Cork half-back appeared to strike out at Tyrone substitute, Brian McGuigan, off the ball during the second half. On the advice of an umpire, Bannon then yellow-carded the Cork man.

However, the CCCC believe Miskella may have a stronger case to answer and are due to contact Bannon to offer him a chance to review the incident and express whether or not he was satisfied with the sanction.

Bannon is expected to call time on his inter-county refereeing career at the end of this season, but is holding out hope of playing a part in the All-Ireland final. He refereed the All-Ireland final between Armagh and Kerry in 2002.

Miskella's case has similarities to Noel O'Leary in '07 when he was yellow-carded for striking out at Meath's Graham Geraghty.

The match referee, Brian Crowe, was contacted and asked to review the evidence but declined to make changes and, as a consequence, O'Leary started the All-Ireland final against Kerry.

The responsibility now rests with Bannon but, given that he has signalled his intention to retire, he may not want to go out depriving Miskella of a chance to play in an All-Ireland final.

Bannon's performance on Sunday, particularly his sending off of Cork's Alan O'Connor, has come in for criticism.

But he has been strongly defended by the chairman of the referees committee, Mick Curley, who says he had a split second decision to make and made it accordingly.

"He did what he thought was right at the time. He did have the benefit of time or a number of different angles to look at it. He saw contact and a Tyrone player falling. Maybe in hindsight he wouldn't send him off again, but that is the conundrum referees face," said Curley.

In his programme notes to Sunday's game, Curley wrote of the impact that mistakes have on match officials.

"Has anyone ever asked what the officials themselves feel about the mistake they have made?" he asked.

Curley pointed out, however, that this was not a call for referees to be allowed to explain their decisions in post-match referees.

"Personally, it is not something I would be afraid of but I think it is a long way down the road for the GAA and is a decision that would have to be taken at the top level," he said.

Meanwhile, Gearoid O Conamha will take charge of the second semi-final between Meath and Kerry on Sunday at Croke Park.

- Colm Keys

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: muppet on August 25, 2009, 05:59:54 PM

really!!! ???
i doubt very much that any video from any angle would cast any doubt that miskilla struck mcguigan
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

saffron sam2

Quote from: orangeman on August 25, 2009, 07:09:23 PM

Meanwhile, Gearoid O Conamha will take charge of the second semi-final between Meath and Kerry on Sunday at Croke Park.

Magnificent, absolutely f**king magnificent. There is a satirical genius appointing referees this summer.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet