Alan O'Connor sending off.

Started by mournerambler, August 23, 2009, 04:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

He attempted to intercept a high pass and his momentum carried him into Mulligan and they barely touched each other. If a guy has to worry about getting a yellow for that we'll soon have no game at all.

RMDrive

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=116858

Bannon defended
25 August 2009

National Referee's Committee chairman Michael Curley has defended John Bannon's decision to send off Cork's Alan O'Connor in last Sunday's All-Ireland semi-final against Tyrone.

The Longford official has come under fire for dismissing the big midfielder on a second yellow card in the 29th minute of Cork's 1-13 to 0-11 victory at Croke Park.

"The decision was made by John based purely on where he was standing at the time," Curley said in the Irish Examiner.

"From where he saw it, it looked like there had been an offence and that combined with the manner in which the Tyrone player (Owen Mulligan) fell to the ground.

"It was a reasonable call for John to make at the time, in real time. I have had experience of that situation myself. If you are standing at one angle you see it one way and you see it differently from another."

Meanwhile, John Miskella could find out as early as today whether he faces any further disciplinary action for an incident involving Brian McGuigan's in the 54th minute of Sunday's game.

The Ballincollig wing back escaped with only a yellow card after TV cameras clearly captured the defender striking McGuigan off-the-ball, and he faces the prospect of missing the All-Ireland final if the CCCC decides to issue him with a retrospective four-week ban.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Does anyone else feel annoyed that the Ref's chairman seems to be trying to bring Mulligan into the his explanation for a poor performance by Bannon? Whether Mulligan made the most of it or not is irrelvant IMO. It's the ref's job to make these calls and it's pathetic to try to shift blame onto a player.

bcarrier

The first was bookable ...second was the refs mistake.

Miskella doesnt appear to be out of the woods yet ....he shouldnt have struck out but looked more of a slap than anything else.

If there is Cork player in trouble it should be Canty ....he had 5 minutes of complete red mist and the dropped knee
(copyright F Bellew ) that he was booked for is one of the most cynical, nasty and most dangerous " tackles" in the game. 

orangeman

Quote from: RMDrive on August 25, 2009, 11:22:25 AM

Bannon defended
25 August 2009

National Referee's Committee chairman Michael Curley has defended John Bannon's decision to send off Cork's Alan O'Connor in last Sunday's All-Ireland semi-final against Tyrone.

The Longford official has come under fire for dismissing the big midfielder on a second yellow card in the 29th minute of Cork's 1-13 to 0-11 victory at Croke Park.

"The decision was made by John based purely on where he was standing at the time," Curley said in the Irish Examiner.

"From where he saw it, it looked like there had been an offence and that combined with the manner in which the Tyrone player (Owen Mulligan) fell to the ground.

"It was a reasonable call for John to make at the time, in real time. I have had experience of that situation myself. If you are standing at one angle you see it one way and you see it differently from another."

Meanwhile, John Miskella could find out as early as today whether he faces any further disciplinary action for an incident involving Brian McGuigan's in the 54th minute of Sunday's game.

The Ballincollig wing back escaped with only a yellow card after TV cameras clearly captured the defender striking McGuigan off-the-ball, and he faces the prospect of missing the All-Ireland final if the CCCC decides to issue him with a retrospective four-week ban.

Does anyone else feel annoyed that the Ref's chairman seems to be trying to bring Mulligan into the his explanation for a poor performance by Bannon? Whether Mulligan made the most of it or not is irrelvant IMO. It's the ref's job to make these calls and it's pathetic to try to shift blame onto a player.

Mick Curley was on the Jimmy Magee show, RTE radio 1 at half six on Sunday evening and he refused to comment on the incident with o'Connor as he said that it was policy not to make any comment as players might be invloved in appeals etc. Fair enough answer. But now that he has had time to think about it, he now feels that it's ok to comment and to apportion the blame to Mulligan. Mick Curley should not feel that his job is to defend referees at all costs and in this case, defend the indefensible.

BTW, as a result of Bannon's very poor performance and the attention given to the poor performance by the media etc, John Miskella can unfortunately expect 4 weeks which is regretable as he will miss one of the biggest games of his life.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: orangeman on August 25, 2009, 11:37:30 AM
Quote from: RMDrive on August 25, 2009, 11:22:25 AM

Bannon defended
25 August 2009

Mick Curley was on the Jimmy Magee show, RTE radio 1 at half six on Sunday evening and he refused to comment on the incident with o'Connor as he said that it was policy not to make any comment as players might be invloved in appeals etc. Fair enough answer. But now that he has had time to think about it, he now feels that it's ok to comment and to apportion the blame to Mulligan. Mick Curley should not feel that his job is to defend referees at all costs and in this case, defend the indefensible.

BTW, as a result of Bannon's very poor performance and the attention given to the poor performance by the media etc, John Miskella can unfortunately expect 4 weeks which is regretable as he will miss one of the biggest games of his life.

no harm, but miskella has no-one to blame but himself if he misses the final.
he struck, simple as that and if bannon had have did his job right he would have sent him off at the time and he would miss the game anyway
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Billys Boots

Quote"From where he saw it, it looked like there had been an offence and that combined with the manner in which the Tyrone player (Owen Mulligan) fell to the ground.

I don't see anything 'wrong' with that statement.  You'd have to be a bit paranoid to glean offence to Mulligan from that.  It seems to me a simple explanation of how a wrong decision was made: (a) looked like a trip, and (b) looked serious from the tumble. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Hardy

Quote(from Mick Hurley):From where he saw it, it looked like there had been an offence and that combined with the manner in which the Tyrone player (Owen Mulligan) fell to the ground ...

And there's another example of what I've been banging on about. The head buck cat of the referees, no less, stating that it's OK for a referee to take into account the manner of a player's falling when deciding if a foul has been committed. It confirms what I've gathered from watching the carry-on of refs - lots of the time they're ASSUMING a foul has been committed based on factors other than actually SEEING a foul committed. And now the boss referee says that's grand. What hope have we got of fixing anything with this attitude?

(I don't think he's suggesting Mulligan dived - it was a heavy fall. A heavy fall does not equal a foul).

AZOffaly

Agree Hardy, it's quite worrying that. Not so much the fact that Bannon himself made an error in assuming a foul, but the fact that the referee's chief is almost endorsing that approach. I don't think Mulligan dived in that incident at all, but it doesn't exactly send out a signal that the referees are not going to fall (excuse the pun) for the diving trick. Someone reading that might infer that if they get a small clip, incidental or not, and go down roaring, they'll get their free.

They're probably right as well.

RMDrive

Quote from: Billys Boots on August 25, 2009, 11:42:15 AM
Quote"From where he saw it, it looked like there had been an offence and that combined with the manner in which the Tyrone player (Owen Mulligan) fell to the ground.

I don't see anything 'wrong' with that statement.  You'd have to be a bit paranoid to glean offence to Mulligan from that.  It seems to me a simple explanation of how a wrong decision was made: (a) looked like a trip, and (b) looked serious from the tumble.

So an offence can be judged by how the player falls afterwards? Does that not just feed into the whole problem of people "buying" frees? The call should be made based on the ref seeing the incident and whether the player gets back on his feet and keeps going or whether he is sent sommersaulting 15 times shouldn't matter.
The "manner" of the fall can not be directly linked to the severity of the foul.

orangeman

Somebody on the Jimmy Magee radio show on Sunday evening suggested that full time professional referees should be recruited, trained up and paid to try and raise the standard of referees. Paying them for a full time job they argued, would attract young, maybe former players.

Mick Curley shot this suggestion down right away.

Billys Boots

Quote from: RMDrive on August 25, 2009, 11:52:01 AM
Quote from: Billys Boots on August 25, 2009, 11:42:15 AM

So an offence can be judged by how the player falls afterwards? Does that not just feed into the whole problem of people "buying" frees? The call should be made based on the ref seeing the incident and whether the player gets back on his feet and keeps going or whether he is sent sommersaulting 15 times shouldn't matter.
The "manner" of the fall can not be directly linked to the severity of the foul.

I'm not judging anything - I'm interpreting what Curley said.  He's explaining how Bannon made the mistake - he seems convinced that Bannon made the decision based on those two erroneous (in hindsight) judgement calls. 

Yes Hardy, I agree with that - Bannon made a number of bad decisions early in the game resulting in probably 3 'soft' points for Tyrone in the 1st half.  He seemed to become wiser later in the game, and there weren't as many of those decisions in the 2nd half, though there have been a few neutral views that Cork milked it (in relation to their tackling) in that period.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

INDIANA

Quote from: orangeman on August 25, 2009, 11:59:36 AM
Somebody on the Jimmy Magee radio show on Sunday evening suggested that full time professional referees should be recruited, trained up and paid to try and raise the standard of referees. Paying them for a full time job they argued, would attract young, maybe former players.

Would only encourage the GPA lookling for pay.

orangeman

Quote from: INDIANA on August 25, 2009, 12:02:17 PM
Quote from: orangeman on August 25, 2009, 11:59:36 AM

Would only encourage the GPA lookling for pay.

Come to think of it, the caller's name was Dessie !  ;)

Sandino

bcarrier, you make a fair point but if you watch the incident again you can see that he did not drop his knee as such but he clearly kicked a player as the player lay on the ground. It was indeed a nasty bit of work. A discussion was about to start about this on the sunday game but Des moved on at a quick pace.
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

rrhf

I just hope nobody gets suspended for the all ireland final - the games over this ccccctv crap needs done away with.   We dont want an all ireland final with a suspension / appeal hanging over it.  Please dont create a nightmare lads.