Alan O'Connor sending off.

Started by mournerambler, August 23, 2009, 04:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bridgegael

i think it was a sending off.  the first tackle was def a yellow card,  this bullshit bout him slipping doesn't wash with me!!   the second was reckless especially when on a yellow card.  spillane and o rourke showed their true colours when syaing it was a dive,  begrudging f**kers!!
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

supersarsfields

What really got me about Spillane was that he had enough to bate Tyrone around with without trying to go down the diving route. Cork played Tyrone of the park in the first half and Spillane could have went on about this instead he had to try and push another negative viewpoint that Mugsy had dived when in my view there is no way it could be claimed as a dive, might not have merited a yellow but that's another argument.
He is the single one reason I have went of Kerry and the only reason why I'd hope either Meath or Cork bate Kerry to the AI.

blewuporstuffed

i'm not trying  to defend bannon as i thought he was dreafull, but on first look, i thought o connors first tackle on mcginley was dreadful and a def booking.On seeing the replay, he did slip a bit an made it worse than it was, but tyrone were still on the attack with me over and mcginley was cynically brought down.
yellow card was maybe a touch harsh, but not bannons worst call of the day!!
As for the mulligan one, he initially jumped up to block the ball, but when it when past him i feel he purposely left the trailing leg out to body check mulligan.those saying mulligan dived is absolute rubish.he was off balance and was defiantly caught by him.Again the booking may have been a touch harsh as it wasn't particularly dangerous or anything, but when you are already on a yellow card, you just cant make challenges like that or be anyway clumsy in the tackle or you are leaving yourself open for  a second yello.
overall i felt the two challenegs wher clumsy more than anything and probly merited a yellow card & a tick with stern warning rather than a red
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

INDIANA

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 24, 2009, 12:35:27 PM
Quote from: Hardy on August 24, 2009, 11:40:21 AM
Quote from: blanketattack on August 24, 2009, 11:32:06 AM
I think the first yellow was merited. Lots of people are saying that it wasn't a yellow because he slipped or because it was unintentional but what difference does that make? If that was the case, players could "accidentally" slip into other players all the time knowing that they're safe from getting a yellow card. It's similar to soccer, going for a sliding tackle and at the last second the opposing player whips the ball away and you catch him. The fact that it was unintentional or that you slipped doesn't save you from a yellow card there and shouldn't either in football.

I think you're starting from a bad place if you're holding up soccer as an example and as something to emulate. Have you not noticed how soccer has become unwatchable because of the complete elimination of physical contact, leading to continual diving to simulate it?

You can't be sending people off in a physical contact sport for slipping or for accidental contact.
agreed.
I dont think OConnor had premeditated 'taking out' of players when he firstly lost his footing and therefore couldnt control where he was going and secondly was running towards Mulligan and the aorbourne blonde bombshell and he couldnt get out of each others way.

also I dont think there was too much 'diving'.
Mulligan and Dooher imo were held/pulled which while a tad soft, IS a foule in the rulebook. Just a lot of refs are inconsistent in whether they blow for itor not.
OK Mulligan may have not tried to stop himself from falling but its not as if it was a dive with not contact made.

Canty did go in rather hard and akwardly. Dunno if he meant to go in with knees into the back.
I htink he is a very hard and tough player, but I dont recall ever seeing him play out and out dirty before.
So I wouldnt think he completely meant to do so. He could have slipped/lost balance.
If not I wouldnt get too worked up about it. I think anyone on here that knows my thoughts on CHB play means that I like that Liam Harnan approach.
Canty is way off Harnan levels.

All this whinging about how OConnor should have goten sent off etc . This is why people complain that some are trying to turn Gaelic football into a similar sanitised boring socccer type scenario.
Its a mans game FFS. You hit and get hit. You get caught and yer off. Accidents happen. Teams win and teams lose.
Fcuk it was an enjoyable spectacle yesterday and I wouldnt change a bit of it.
Tyrone were great 2008 champions, fair play to Cork and I hope they win it.

Didn't enjoy it after the first 20 mins i have to say. Thought the 2nd half as a spectacle was poor to be honest.

AZOffaly

Quote from: INDIANA on August 24, 2009, 12:53:06 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 24, 2009, 12:35:27 PM
Quote from: Hardy on August 24, 2009, 11:40:21 AM
Quote from: blanketattack on August 24, 2009, 11:32:06 AM
I think the first yellow was merited. Lots of people are saying that it wasn't a yellow because he slipped or because it was unintentional but what difference does that make? If that was the case, players could "accidentally" slip into other players all the time knowing that they're safe from getting a yellow card. It's similar to soccer, going for a sliding tackle and at the last second the opposing player whips the ball away and you catch him. The fact that it was unintentional or that you slipped doesn't save you from a yellow card there and shouldn't either in football.

I think you're starting from a bad place if you're holding up soccer as an example and as something to emulate. Have you not noticed how soccer has become unwatchable because of the complete elimination of physical contact, leading to continual diving to simulate it?

You can't be sending people off in a physical contact sport for slipping or for accidental contact.
agreed.
I dont think OConnor had premeditated 'taking out' of players when he firstly lost his footing and therefore couldnt control where he was going and secondly was running towards Mulligan and the aorbourne blonde bombshell and he couldnt get out of each others way.

also I dont think there was too much 'diving'.
Mulligan and Dooher imo were held/pulled which while a tad soft, IS a foule in the rulebook. Just a lot of refs are inconsistent in whether they blow for itor not.
OK Mulligan may have not tried to stop himself from falling but its not as if it was a dive with not contact made.

Canty did go in rather hard and akwardly. Dunno if he meant to go in with knees into the back.
I htink he is a very hard and tough player, but I dont recall ever seeing him play out and out dirty before.
So I wouldnt think he completely meant to do so. He could have slipped/lost balance.
If not I wouldnt get too worked up about it. I think anyone on here that knows my thoughts on CHB play means that I like that Liam Harnan approach.
Canty is way off Harnan levels.

All this whinging about how OConnor should have goten sent off etc . This is why people complain that some are trying to turn Gaelic football into a similar sanitised boring socccer type scenario.
Its a mans game FFS. You hit and get hit. You get caught and yer off. Accidents happen. Teams win and teams lose.
Fcuk it was an enjoyable spectacle yesterday and I wouldnt change a bit of it.
Tyrone were great 2008 champions, fair play to Cork and I hope they win it.

Didn't enjoy it after the first 20 mins i have to say. Thought the 2nd half as a spectacle was poor to be honest.

Same as that. I thought Cork played huge football early on, but after the sending off, and particularly in the second half, they went into damage limitation mode. Understandable in a way, but very cynical, with loads of stop-start stuff.

Billys Boots

QuoteUnderstandable in a way, but very cynical, with loads of stop-start stuff.

Exactly what Tyrone (or Kerry) would have done in the circumstances.  That's the way the game has gone. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

lynchbhoy

Quote from: INDIANA on August 24, 2009, 12:53:06 PM
know what you are saying, if it had continued then I fear tyrone would have taken a complete tanking.
After OConnor was sent off is was more even and there is a lot to be admired in the defending and team play as well as the atmosphere and crowd - as there is in a turkey shoot or all out scorefest (as in the fantastic u21 hurling match Clare v galway the day before).

I enjoyed the attacking, the defending, the running with the ball, the passing the blocking, the high fielding, the breaking ball winning and so on. The chanting of the crowd 'Rebels' countered by 'Ty-rone' gave it a great atmosphere to be sitting in. My 9 year old tyrone supporting nephew giving it loads , joining in with the Tyrone chanting crowd. Disappointed at the loss but thoroughly enjoying his day out in Croker and the big game spectacle.
Feck it Indiana - ya just cant beat it for a day out ! Even if it wasnt a 'classic' game - and they cant all be.
I got value for money !
(chicken burger was actually ok too!)

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Billys Boots on August 24, 2009, 12:56:24 PM
QuoteUnderstandable in a way, but very cynical, with loads of stop-start stuff.

Exactly what Tyrone (or Kerry) would have done in the circumstances.  That's the way the game has gone.
yeah, thought Cork played very intelligently. Was mightily impressed by that. Esp up against a team as smart and as well drilled as Tyrone.

Zulu

I was in the Cusack and had a good view of the first O'Coonor booking and I said at the time he slipped and Bannon should have been able to see this as well. He sprinted over to engage McGinley and when he reached him he attempted to slow up (as you have to) and lost his footing. This was clear as day if you were close to the action, as I was, however I will give Bannon the benefit of the doubt on that one. The second was an utter disgrace and though Mulligan can't be blamed in any way, because there was contact, to book O'Connor must mean Bannon has never played any sport let alone football.

On the game itself, I thought the first half was excellent, the second less so but there was much to admire in Cork's performance in that half too and I throughly enjoyed the game, great atmosphere too as both sets of fans really got into the game.

muppet

Quote from: Zulu on August 24, 2009, 01:05:20 PM
I was in the Cusack and had a good view of the first O'Coonor booking and I said at the time he slipped and Bannon should have been able to see this as well. He sprinted over to engage McGinley and when he reached him he attempted to slow up (as you have to) and lost his footing. This was clear as day if you were close to the action, as I was, however I will give Bannon the benefit of the doubt on that one. The second was an utter disgrace and though Mulligan can't be blamed in any way, because there was contact, to book O'Connor must mean Bannon has never played any sport let alone football.

On the game itself, I thought the first half was excellent, the second less so but there was much to admire in Cork's performance in that half too and I throughly enjoyed the game, great atmosphere too as both sets of fans really got into the game.

Spot on Zulu.
MWWSI 2017

lynchbhoy

Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on August 24, 2009, 03:14:00 PM
The first time i saw OConnors 1st tackle on Mcginley i immediately thoughr red card, in real time it looked like a seriously bad tackle.  Accident or no accident, his 1st tackle was definately a booking if not more.  Definately should not have been even cautioned for the 2nd incident.  He wont miss the final though, right??
shouldnt do unless cited by cccccccccccc !

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: supersarsfields on August 24, 2009, 11:34:27 AM
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on August 23, 2009, 05:00:52 PM
Can anyone honestly say they are in anyway surprised to see Tyrone diving and cheating???

Why am I not surprised to see you rubbing your hands at this. Do you honestly think it was a dive by Mugsy or as usual are you just coming on to have a poke at Tyrone? I don't seem to remember you being so forthcoming with your disgust at some of the tackles that were put in by Dublin in their last game? But that's not your style is it.

I certainly think he made the absolute most out of the tackle to make sure the ref took action...just like Dooher dived to get the free straight afterwards....Why don't you point out one example of me defending a Dublin player diving or taking another player out or saying they should appeal decisions etc...I said Bastic was lucky not to get sent off

milltown row

first one defo yellow and the second one was a bit harsh but i've seen lads getting yellow for less.

in real time the first tackle was reckless and high. he caught McGinley around the thigh. Also when he slipped he still manged to take him out thus stopping him. while there is no professional foul it was still yellow.

second one was harsh. Mugsy released the ball and O'Connor came down like Peter schmeichel missed the man and ball. so was it a dangerous challenge (you dont have to make contact) or as Mugsy went past him he definitely caught him on the knee. did Mugsy make a big deal outta it? yeah he did but referee made the decision and he went. two yellows.

supersarsfields

It's the fact that your always the first to comment on any negative points from Tyrone yet aren't so forthcoming for any other team.
And if you believe that mulligan dived then again I think your talking crap. Definite foul, tho in fairness not a yellow card offence. And I don't believe Mugsy could have fallen any other way, but it suits your agenda to say he made the most of it.

Zulu

Quotefirst one defo yellow and the second one was a bit harsh but i've seen lads getting yellow for less.

Not a chance.

Quotein real time the first tackle was reckless and high. he caught McGinley around the thigh. Also when he slipped he still manged to take him out thus stopping him. while there is no professional foul it was still yellow.

High? How could it have been high unless the intent was to tackle below the knee? He slipped and fell backwards at speed and as a result his legs went upwards, obeying the laws of physics, and therefore there was no intent. The slipping doesn't mean it wasn't a foul as McGinley was stopped illegally but it does mean a yellow shouldn't have been issued.

Quotesecond one was harsh. Mugsy released the ball and O'Connor came down like Peter schmeichel missed the man and ball. so was it a dangerous challenge (you dont have to make contact) or as Mugsy went past him he definitely caught him on the knee. did Mugsy make a big deal outta it? yeah he did but referee made the decision and he went. two yellows.

Harsh? It was a joke, minimal contact and no intent. I mean if he had blocked the ball and his momentum carried him into Mulligan would it still have been a booking?