Mickey Harte joins the Irish News

Started by GrandMasterFlash, February 02, 2009, 08:08:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

I thnk that his proposal is a good, simple solution to the problem of a devalued provinicial championships, i also like the idea of making it  a little more difficult for the qualifiers to get back on an even footing with the provinicial champions - Another common sense article in my opinion! (not the most exciting in the world though!)
That was never a square ball!!

Zulu

I wouldn't have too many issues with his view but I still think one of the biggest problems facing us is the fact that most of our IC games are glorified challenge matches. The McKenna/O'Byrne etc. cups and the leagues are, in reality,  little more than challenge games. Even the provincial championships are now viewed as seperate, secondary, competitions from the AI series, so why not make them so? And the qualifier system plays havoc with the club scene and makes it nigh on impossible to run a structured club championship.

If you link the league and championship, the league games all become more important, one issue solved. Then seed teams and run the AI series on a knockout basis you will have a structure to the year that can allow CB's set and stick to club fixtures. I know many on here come from strong single code counties but in some of the counties I've lived in there is barely a club championship worthy of the name.

Mike Sheehy

I cant wait to read Mickeys Column next week  ;D

tyssam5

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 23, 2009, 09:44:22 PM
I cant wait to read Mickeys Column next week  ;D

Yeah probably be wanting the rules changed and crying like a beeeatch about being bullied off the pitch, maybe coining some slanderous catch-phrases about the other teams style of play?

Oh no, wait that's another county right?

saffron sam2

My argument is not in any way anti the Qualifier system; in fact, I believe it has proven to be one of the most exciting innovations on the playing front since the inception of the GAA. There are numerous examples of provincial sides gaining national recognition (Sligo 2002,Fermanagh 2004, Wexford 2008 and Wicklow 2009) in ways not possible through the traditional system.

Condescending twit - he doesn't mention Tyrone 2005 and 2008.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Mike Sheehy

QuoteYeah probably be wanting the rules changed and crying like a beeeatch about being bullied off the pitch, maybe coining some slanderous catch-phrases about the other teams style of play?

No doubt he'll be making excuses about Cavanagh not playing..... and someone mentioned he was complaining about the ref after the game.

..or maybe he'll just blame the International rules  ;D ;D ;D

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 23, 2009, 09:57:46 PM
QuoteYeah probably be wanting the rules changed and crying like a beeeatch about being bullied off the pitch, maybe coining some slanderous catch-phrases about the other teams style of play?

No doubt he'll be making excuses about Cavanagh not playing..... and someone mentioned he was complaining about the ref after the game.

EVERYONE was complaining about the ref after the game
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 23, 2009, 09:57:46 PM

Just beaten by a better team... it ain't that difficult to accept defeat with dignity. Kerry should try it some day.

BRIAN DOOHER:
"Cork were the better team, it's as simple as that, we have no qualms about it.
"We were on the back foot the whole way through, it's as simple as that. We couldn't live with them."
And while Cork's physical presence gave them a distinct advantage, Dooher believes the Rebels had the upper hand in every aspect of the game.
"They were a big physical side, but they played better football than us.
"It was nothing to do with their size, they were the better team every way.
"They were bigger than us, and that didn't help, but they won every battle all through the field.
"We were chasing the game the whole way through.
"They were on our coat tails the whole time and we could never get a chance to get going ourselves."

Doogie Browser

I thought Tyrone were very dignified in defeat, led by their manager.
Mickey Harte's publishers will be very disappointed at Tyrone's defeat, the book was to launch in October after what they and I hoped would be a Tyrone AI victory and in a blaze of PR that money couldn't buy.

longrunsthefox

Cody has a book coming out at same time.. him and Harte seem to be good friends. Would be ironic if Tipp win as well...

Sigerson

MH said in the Daily Mirror today that Joe McMahon and Jordan were both suffering from same stomach bug as SC.

Fear ón Srath Bán

GAA must play a part in educating young drivers
Mickey Harte

Earlier this week I spoke with Ger Treacy, the BBC radio commentator and chairperson of Beragh Red Knights GAC, in relation to the tragic death of club member Cathy Cox.

I would like, in conjunction with the wider GAA family and the community at large, to express my condolences to, and offer my prayers for, the Cox family, all of Cathy's friends and the Beragh club on this terrible loss. During the course of our conversation, Ger suggested that the GAA might have a vital role to play in raising awareness about road safety, and I believe there is a lot of merit in his thinking.

We know all too well – and have numerous examples – of local club personnel moving swiftly into action when tragedy befalls one of their own. This spirit of support and empathy is another unique characteristic of belonging to a GAA community. Setting up temporary lighting, directing traffic, parking cars, bringing and serving food, these are all automatic responses accepted as the norm in difficult times.

Our Association has been pro-active at official levels in instigating an alcohol and drugs awareness programme. Though in its infancy, this programme has been acknowledged as an important move in highlighting the potential dangers of these substances. Officers have been appointed at county and club level, with guidance available from Headquarters to assist them in their important role.

Unfortunately, it is an all-too-obvious fact that death on the roads – especially amongst the young – is an omni-present threat. Governments and state agencies do address these issues with newspaper, radio and – often graphic – television adverts and we can take the view that it's their responsibility to do so and simply leave them to it.

Alternatively, we might, as an organisation, decide to complement this work at a local level through our club and county structures. When these warnings and information details come from a central agency, they can be interpreted as being aimed at someone else out there, and not particularly relevant to us all. However, if the face and voice behind the campaign was a key player/official within the club or county, then perhaps the message might penetrate more effectively. Connecting these key messages with local heroes would undoubtedly create stronger links for our young club members, and best practice with regard to road safety would be more likely.

If our youngest club members were exposed to this concerted campaign through posters and other visuals whilst attending their normal practice sessions, and grew up with these sound messages in their subconscious minds, then there is every chance they will become more aware road users.

Competitions could be initiated in primary and secondary schools with regard to design and presentation of key considerations.  All counties, and most clubs, now have their own websites and these messages could be reinforced through this medium. The appointed club/county officer could create a bank of 'dos' and 'don'ts' regarding road safety for all ages.

The Road Safety Authority in the South has a superb website which addresses a wide variety of road hazards, and provides insightful tips to deal with many of these difficulties. Simple suggestions, which experienced drivers may take for granted, could prove to be the difference in saving young drivers from serious accidents.

For example, many young drivers may never have been told that roads are at their most slippery when the weather breaks after a dry spell. This is because the fine grit on roads tends to polish the road surface and there is a growing film of tar, rubber and oil deposit. This sudden change in driving conditions can catch the unaware (inexperienced) driver off guard. After driving through water it is good practice to drive slowly with your foot lightly on the brake pedal for a short distance as this helps to dry the brakes quickly and render them fully effective again.

There are a host of other little things to be aware of which could mean the difference between a safe journey and a disastrous one. Checking the tyre pressures regularly is another important practice as a soft wheel can completely change the handling of the vehicle especially on corners. Making sure all lights are working properly as defects on the driver's side might misrepresent the width of your vehicle to oncoming traffic and increase the risk of collision. Becoming aware of the difference in handling a vehicle with a full complement of passengers and one with a sole occupant is another experience not always fully appreciated.

The above examples are only skimming the surface of things to consider with regard to safer driving and road use. Minimising distractions, driving at an appropriate speed, and adapting to the various weather conditions that prevail in this country all assist us in creating a safer travelling environment for ourselves and other road users.

Without a forum to share these learning experiences with each other, many of us have had to learn these lessons the hard way.

If, through the networks that already exist within the GAA, we can enlighten our own members and share valuable experiences with each other, then we could become a significant conduit for creating safer road conditions for us all and fast-forward the learning process for our younger drivers. It is somewhat regrettable that there is currently so much untapped driving experience within the community at large.

If an initiative of this sort saved even one young life, wouldn't it be well worth the effort?

Excellent Orchard deserve final place

Congratulations to the Armagh minor squad, and their manager Paul McShane, on a super second half performance on Sunday, which ensured that Ulster will have at least one representative in Croke Park on All-Ireland final day.

Their emphatic start to the second half, when Peter Carragher drove through the middle from the throw-in and Gavin McParland finished to the net with a composure reminiscent of Stevie McDonnell or Ronan Clarke, set the tone for what was to come.

Indeed, but for the heroics of Kerry goalkeeper Paul O'Sullivan, Armagh could have a hatful of majors. However, McParland's second sweet finish was more than enough to ensure that the possibility of an all-Ulster minor final is still on the cards.

After Down's excellent win over Dublin in the quarter-finals, it would be superb if we knew before the ball was thrown in on the third Sunday in September that the Tom Markham Cup was going to remain in Ulster for another 12 months.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

SidelineKick

Is he paid to write a sports column or just whatever he wants to write about? It's published in the sports section thats all.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Road safety through sport/sporting body?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Final Whistle

Does everything you write have to have an anti tyrone bias/slant to it. Seriously Sideline, its a bit tedious. Harte as a sportsman (an iconic, legendary sportsman) is given a platform to write what he sees fit.

A very well written article.

Fearon, you see how Harte is paid to write his articles where as editors use you to fill that wee crummy bit of space that would normally be taken up by an advert highlighting the dangers of unprotected sex or the risk of heart disease if your an overweight fat c*nt!  ;)

Harte >>>>>>Fearon!!!