Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btdtgtt

Young fella nugent seems to be on his way from whiterock to hannahstown.

Na Glinntí Glasa

never understand fellas doing that. why play you youth for one club, have all the good and bad times with them, make friends along the way and then leave it when your older to go to another club due to wanting to achieve more?

Its not professional soccer were in here. I get people move due to work etc. that sometimes cant be helped but theres no excuse to move due to wanting to play for a manager or wanting more success.

It just doesnt sit with me.
hurl like f**k boi!

Mourne man

It is a big problem with club teams in Belfast! Players at all levels move clubs in search of success! Especially at underage when they not be looking at the bigger picture!

btdtgtt

Quote from: Mourne man on January 13, 2016, 06:18:30 PM
It is a big problem with club teams in Belfast! Players at all levels move clubs in search of success! Especially at underage when they not be looking at the bigger picture!

I agree DR it doesn't sit well.

The issue with transfers in Belfast (albeit not this one) is greater than guys just jumping ship for any reason.
It goes back to the number and nature of clubs - the dual issue included. I mean, some guys might be hugely into one code but fund their club has drifted to the other - to the point they aren't fielding (link to too many clubs) in the players stronger code.
An issue particularly with younger players is that if they don't move - we lose them from gaa altogether - I think everyone would agree a transfer is preferable.

It's not the same as in NA with parish boundaries - and more often only one code.
That's why nobody ever transferred from armoy to loughgiel for a championship - or jumped to and fro from ballycastle to armoy - and everyone from cloughmills plays only for the biddies - I could go on ;)

But yes - the transferring of players never sits easy with me either.
And this one in question is a case in point.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Are hannahstown junior hurling this year?

ned

Quote from: btdtgtt on January 13, 2016, 11:54:44 PM

The issue with transfers in Belfast (albeit not this one) is greater than guys just jumping ship for any reason.
It goes back to the number and nature of clubs - the dual issue included. I mean, some guys might be hugely into one code but fund their club has drifted to the other - to the point they aren't fielding (link to too many clubs) in the players stronger code.
An issue particularly with younger players is that if they don't move - we lose them from gaa altogether - I think everyone would agree a transfer is preferable.

It's not the same as in NA with parish boundaries - and more often only one code.
That's why nobody ever transferred from armoy to loughgiel for a championship - or jumped to and fro from ballycastle to armoy - and everyone from cloughmills plays only for the biddies - I could go on ;)

Take it you are not serious about NA. I know of players in NA who have switched to other clubs for success.  Also some who have switched to get a 'senior'  game. Granted this was 20 years ago!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: btdtgtt on January 13, 2016, 11:54:44 PM

Rossa have a current Antrim panelist that's moved clubs.... It happens and if you want to be nostalgic about it then that's fine, in Belfast and Dublin people move from clubs, get over it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

btdtgtt

MR2 & Ned - I just didn't want to defend Belfast transfer compared to NA transfers too much - after the juvenile cancellations topic had me under fire ;) ;D
Yes of course transfers happen everywhere - I see a recent example of a Meath hurler moving to my beloved Waterford!

Peileadoir

First time posting on the hurling site and in relation to the transfer of young Nugent I very much agree with btdtgtt and can't understand how some players do this, and to me it is very much against the ethos of our great organisation. However it is not just confined to city teams and just to correct btdtgtt in 1989 one of Antrim's best ever hurlers transferred from Armoy to Loughiel just for the season to win a senior championship. He duly obliged by doing what he was brought in for, and being man of the match in the final v Johnnies!!!

Na Glinntí Glasa

rem that well, he beat us in the semi final on his own that day in cushendall! All of that was however stopped to ensure that couldn't happen again.

I accept people move due to work, that cant be helped some times when your constantly working away from home, but to transfer to another club due to a new manager or the hope of success? that should not happen at all.

We have kids who play underage hurling for us but football for their parent club due to their own club not having a hurling team. Thats totally acceptable in my eyes but at the end of the day they are not our player and belong to their home club. We cant make them play for us or in that fact we would never push them to move to us on a permanent basis.

Its wrong and goes against everything in the GAA.

If you move to another club for glory you will never have that emotional connection that others do that are with a club their whole life from playing to administration.
hurl like f**k boi!

btdtgtt

Quote from: Peileadoir on January 14, 2016, 02:30:14 PM
First time posting on the hurling site and in relation to the transfer of young Nugent I very much agree with btdtgtt and can't understand how some players do this, and to me it is very much against the ethos of our great organisation. However it is not just confined to city teams and just to correct btdtgtt in 1989 one of Antrim's best ever hurlers transferred from Armoy to Loughiel just for the season to win a senior championship. He duly obliged by doing what he was brought in for, and being man of the match in the final v Johnnies!!!

The cloot thing was the point I was making!

Agree DR also - the "sanctions" to allow players to play another code are perfectly acceptable and proper. They are common place in the South. Much preferable to transfers and amalgamation teams.
I would like to see sanctions operate at senior level also - if the parent club is single code.

Again however - none of this applies to the current transfer.
Be that in Belfast or NA as they both happen!

Sleeping giant

Quote from: btdtgtt on January 14, 2016, 05:02:34 PM

Agree DR also - the "sanctions" to allow players to play another code are perfectly acceptable and proper. They are common place in the South. Much preferable to transfers and amalgamation teams.
I would like to see sanctions operate at senior level also - if the parent club is single code.

yeah I was getting the sarcasm thing lol.  No1 else seemed to. 
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

btdtgtt

Quote from: Sleeping giant on January 14, 2016, 05:22:45 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on January 14, 2016, 05:02:34 PM

yeah I was getting the sarcasm thing lol.  No1 else seemed to.

;) ;D

Mourne man

Anyone know when fixtures for the leagues are out? And a potential start date?

Seamroga in exile

Did Cloot not play his underage hurling in loughgiel? Of course, at the time he opted for loughgiel armoy didn't field that year and other clubs were knocking at his door. All forgot about through the realms of time.  ;)
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"