The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Derryman forever

While I have great respect for Tyrone,  it is fairly lazy analysis to say a team that has only one win in championship football in two yesrs, is better than teams that have progressed to finals . And that win against a third division team and hard won at that.

NotedObserver

Quote from: Derryman forever on May 15, 2023, 03:24:42 PM
While I have great respect for Tyrone,  it is fairly lazy analysis to say a team that has only one win in championship football in two yesrs, is better than teams that have progressed to finals . And that win against a third division team and hard won at that.

To me them boys don't rate either side as top level. Tyrone could better but on recent times they look well of the pace so to me it doesn't look like they've been following Tyrone much

imtommygunn

Quote from: Derryman forever on May 15, 2023, 03:24:42 PM

With some people there's a bit of the can't bring themselves to look at rivals as good.

Tyrone are a funny one under this management. This Galway game will make or break them I think.

Onthe40

make or break them.. I wouldn't think so
Galways would be firm favs for this at home, don't think anyone would disagree with that

Tyrone beat Armagh at home and Westmeath in the last game and their safely through

yellowcard

I don't think these group games will make or break anyone given that you only need to win one match to qualify. I'd expect Galway to win but Tyrone will need to show that they are capable of at least being competitive.

Blowitupref

Quote from: yellowcard on May 15, 2023, 04:42:58 PM
I don't think these group games will make or break anyone given that you only need to win one match to qualify. I'd expect Galway to win but Tyrone will need to show that they are capable of at least being competitive.
Sides are going to get caught out in the knock out stages thinking all they need is one win.

I'm sure the mindset with Tyrone players and management right now is aiming to top the group as it will give them the best chance of reaching and winning All-Ireland quarter final.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

armaghniac

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 15, 2023, 04:56:14 PM
Sides are going to get caught out in the knock out stages thinking all they need is one win.

I'm sure the mindset with Tyrone players and management right now is aiming to top the group as it will give them the best chance of reaching and winning All-Ireland quarter final.

A person with a rather negative frame of mind on boards.ie posted a scenario where Tyrone beat Galway and Armagh and then threw the game with Westmeath to try and ensure that Armagh do not qualify.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

bennydorano

Tyrone will be under pressure from the getgo if results go as expected, very very hard to see Tyrone beating Galway, Armagh should account for Westmeath meaning we should he travelling to Omagh with points on the board - that releaves pressure and should  mean we can play with a bit of freedom.

Rossfan

Quote from: armaghniac on May 15, 2023, 05:21:17 PM

A person with a rather negative frame of mind on boards.ie posted a scenario where Tyrone beat Galway and Armagh and then threw the game with Westmeath to try and ensure that Armagh do not qualify.
If Armagh have already beaten Westmeath won't they go through on Head to Head?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on May 15, 2023, 07:08:52 PM

Armagh may mistake Westmeath for Galway and lose on penalties.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Wildweasel74

Tyrone need put out a 3rd team to let Westmeath beat them to stop Armagh qualifying lol.

seafoid

Armagh should play in the Tailteann Cup where the pressure is lower for penalty takers and come back up when they have mastered the skills.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

AustinPowers

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on May 15, 2023, 10:44:06 AM
Quote from: smort on May 15, 2023, 10:05:18 AM
Another reason there needs to be a midweek, magazine-type show
Breaking Ball was the only one they ever had that nailed this, no presenter, just a voice over and features on the the matches. Format could be extended to include a panel going on with the rambling discussions on drinking, camogie integration, competition structures etc. that have no place whatsoever on the SG as there isn't time to be fluting around with this stuff given the amount of matches now.

Some of the newer analysts aren't brilliant, the likes of Gooch might have been an all time great but is not bringing a whole lot to the couch. Keegan is in the same boat. Fitzmaurice mightn't have the most engaging voice but he is the best co comms in the business, great insights to what's happening on the pitch. Canavan is excellent.
The newer SG intake might be a mixed bag but Brolly, Spillane and O'Rourke had to go, they were shocking poor. O'Rourke is showing right now with Meath just how completely out of touch he is. Brolly is insufferable and thankfully is easy to avoid now he's off the national broadcaster and confined to a rag published on Sunday.

Cooper isn't  great tbh. Nor Keegan.  Great players  don't always make  a great pundit ,  and rte should look  at  good talkers/personalities rather  than  great players . 

I've seen a few  occasions of tsg  analysts using iPads/touch screens   with "beam me up scotty" graphics .  Oh god, it's awful.  Trying to show people we're  embracing new technology  and bringing you great analysis, but  it's absolutely laughable

I dunno about the  rest of you ,  but I don't  want to be bombarded with  tactics/graphics ., nor do I want  to be bothered with  listening to  more guff about championship  structures ideas every week. A bit of analysis  with analysts who have  a bit of personality is  what's needed

armaghniac

Quote from: Rossfan on May 15, 2023, 07:08:52 PM

What's the use in a conspiracy theory if you use the rules to debunk them  ;D
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

DhoireTheas

I just noticed that The Sunday Game removed the scene of Rory Gallagher from the intro.