The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Saffrongael

Quote from: smort on July 24, 2022, 11:12:10 PM
Some shocking attitudes here

You must be easily "shocked"
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Blowitupref

Panels team of the year

Shane Ryan
Liam Silke
Jason Foley
Chrissy McKaigue
James McCarthy
Tadhg Morley
Gavin White
Rian O'Neill
Cillian McDaid
Paudie Clifford
Sean O'Shea
Kieran Kilkenny
David Clifford
Damien Comer
Shane Walsh

Footballer of the year David Clifford. Shane Walsh and Cillian McDaid nominated.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

screenexile

Thought Derry deserved 2 really with one from either Glass McCluskey or Rogers.

Glass and Rogers having poor semi finals maybe did for them but McCluskey played at a top level from day 1 through to the Galway game where he roasted Shane Walsh.

Champion The Wonder Horse

I don't think Rian O'Neill was the second best midfielder this year.

Gallagher, for a deep thinker like him, was poor tonight.

Gael80

Quote from: screenexile on July 24, 2022, 11:26:42 PM

Glass and Rogers having poor semi finals maybe did for them but McCluskey played at a top level from day 1 through to the Galway game where he roasted Shane Walsh.

I'd agree but when they discussed players who missed out you realise the challenge. I know Gallagher mentioned McCarthy, but he almost beat the eventual All Ireland Champions himself in an All Ireland semi final, for that alone he deserves his place. Glass is close but it's clear from their team O'Neill would have to miss out to accomodate him, O'Neill edges it imo.

There is always changes to the eventual All Star team from the one selected by the SG so lets see. There are a lot of Kerry pundits on the SG, and whilst Ryan had a decent season, won an All Ireland, I think a wider panel will give Rafferty the nod, you could sense that is where the SG debate was.

yellowcard

Gooch on a panel that picks his club mate White. McCarthy had one good game but must be in due to a lifetime service award. Morley, O'Sullivan, Molloy and McCloskey are all ahead of those 2 players in defence imo. Rodgers also but he won't get one.

Milltown Row2

Nothing on that 'tackle'? Any mention in how well Hurson covered the game?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

thewobbler

Quote from: yellowcard on July 24, 2022, 11:34:48 PM
Gooch on a panel that picks his club mate White. McCarthy had one good game but must be in due to a lifetime service award. Morley, O'Sullivan, Molloy and McCloskey are all ahead of those 2 players in defence imo. Rodgers also but he won't get one.

McCarthy is always good, and against the eventual champions was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch. Head and shoulders.

All stars should be the best players in Ireland at a snapshot in time. Thats still where McCarthy is.

ONeill

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on July 24, 2022, 11:31:20 PM

I think he deserves one and that was his best chance.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Quote from: Gael80 on July 24, 2022, 11:33:18 PM

I'd agree but when they discussed players who missed out you realise the challenge. I know Gallagher mentioned McCarthy, but he almost beat the eventual All Ireland Champions himself in an All Ireland semi final, for that alone he deserves his place. Glass is close but it's clear from their team O'Neill would have to miss out to accomodate him, O'Neill edges it imo.

There is always changes to the eventual All Star team from the one selected by the SG so lets see. There are a lot of Kerry pundits on the SG, and whilst Murphy had a decent season, won an All Ireland, I think a wider panel will give Rafferty the nod, you could sense that is where the SG debate was.

O'Neill the second best midfielder this year?

Rogers and McKinless played more minutes and had better games there than him. And neither would be seriously considered for a slot there. And that's before we mention Glass.

Some folk aren't near wise.

gallsman

Quote from: thewobbler on July 24, 2022, 10:45:48 PM
And that's my point.

If all we want is someone to research and speak well, get in a journalist.

Don't pretend to me that someone who played ladies football has the right to be sitting among all Ireland winners, discussing the all Ireland final on national tv.

The f**king state of this. Christ almighty.

Quote from: ONeill on July 24, 2022, 11:38:22 PM
Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on July 24, 2022, 11:31:20 PM

I think he deserves one and that was his best chance.

Tokenism.

Stick him in goals then. Every bit as much right to win one there.

yellowcard

Quote from: thewobbler on July 24, 2022, 11:37:57 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on July 24, 2022, 11:34:48 PM

McCarthy is always good, and against the eventual champions was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch. Head and shoulders.

All stars should be the best players in Ireland at a snapshot in time. Thats still where McCarthy is.

You could make a very strong argument that McCarthy was Dublins finest player over their golden era, that's not in question. But I thought he struggled to reproduce the levels that we have become accustomed to this season until the semi final where he was excellent. I don't think many would have him in their team for 2022.

Mario

It's as much about the media hype as anything and no one was talking about mccluskey being in contention before the semi final, even within Derry.