The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougal Maguire

What pissed me off was Staunton's absolute bias against Armagh. She couldn't even bring herself round to say anything good about them at the end, instead sticking to the line that the penalty and black was the turning point, as if Armagh didn't actually deserve it. She failed to notice that Armagh was well on top before that having overturned a 4 point deficit. I find it quite funny here that some people think I'm some sort of idiot because I never heard of her. Like most people I have absolutely no interest in Ladies Football and I rarely watch RTE so how would I know her? 
Careful now

Wildweasel74

But Armagh weren't on top, They had scored 2pts from the goal, to Donegal 9. Armagh were coming bck into it with a few points, but she had a point on the Black card been a changing point. Armagh went on to dominate next 50 odd mins.

Wildweasel74

No pont asking if you heard of Rena Buckley (Cork) then, Got 18 odd all-Ireland medals in camogie and fball?

Dougal Maguire

Armagh started to take over from about 20 minutes into the match when they recovered from a 4 point deficit so the tide he'd started to turn before the penalty and the black card. Indeed only for some acrobatic work from Ward we'd have had a goal before we got the penalty. And yes, you're spot on I never heard of Rena Buckley
Careful now

Dougal Maguire

Mind you I have to say it doesn't say much for the competitive nature of Ladies Football or Camogie if Rena has managed to amass a collection of silverware as big as that
Careful now

Wildweasel74

Should watch some ladies fball and especially Camogie, it's not that bad to watch, Cork had come with the best ever ladies team and won alot over a 10yr period, Cork camogie strong at the same time, plus some club all - Irelands, Her name, although like you said not common knowledge, is know for having the most all Ireland across gaa sports.

armaghniac

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 14, 2022, 12:05:34 PM
But Armagh weren't on top, They had scored 2pts from the goal, to Donegal 9. Armagh were coming bck into it with a few points, but she had a point on the Black card been a changing point. Armagh went on to dominate next 50 odd mins.

Even if there had been no black card, the ball was in the net anyway.
Armagh had a dangerous lull in the first half, and there should be some thought by own management about that, but they successfully turned it around which is encouraging.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 14, 2022, 12:20:51 PM
Should watch some ladies fball and especially Camogie, it's not that bad to watch, Cork had come with the best ever ladies team and won alot over a 10yr period, Cork camogie strong at the same time, plus some club all - Irelands, Her name, although like you said not common knowledge, is know for having the most all Ireland across gaa sports.

Be proud for her to my ma or daughter or sister. Class player

johnnycool

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 14, 2022, 01:19:57 PM

You'd have to be reared under a bucket not to have heard of Cora Staunton or Rena Buckley..

thewobbler

I've never heard of Rena Buckley.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 14, 2022, 10:11:13 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 14, 2022, 09:52:38 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 14, 2022, 09:28:30 AM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 14, 2022, 09:02:59 AM
I think we are looking for different things, I'm looking for someone who can better explain the how and why of what is happening in the match happening right now, that's analysis to me.
Someone who has experienced the big day themselves can tell us of the pressure the players are under, ok great, what does that give me when I want to know why one teams LHB is doing wreck on the pitch, how a previously dominant midfielder is being bypassed, how the HF line off camera are taking turns in dropping back cutting off that ball over the top of the HB line. Does that all come back to knowing what is like to be able to carry the weight of a county? For me it certainly doesn't, being able to tell me how men representing their county on the biggest day are under pressure is a level of insight from their own experience obviously, how many times do we need to be told that though really?

Colm O'Rourke and Pat Spillane can tell us all about being there on the big day, they offer nothing in terms of insight bar clichés and platitudes at this stage but as I said, we seem to be looking for very different things here.

Ignore them lad, you made your point well. Maith Thú

So I'll go back to my point earlier, why are there no men regularly commentating on ladies football or holding the presenters job? good for the goose and all that..

Thery always are, TG4. Why are men managing them when they have never played ? They don't know what it's like to have a period or rear wains lol. Dead duck debate

Its disproportionately women doing women games, as for men managing ladies teams that's down to the clubs/counties this debate is on the Sunday game.

I think we all rear wains and deal with partner's having periods tbh ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Dougal Maguire

I've been to a few Ladies matches at Club level but I've no interest to be honest. Perhaps it would be different if I had any daughters but I don't so c'est la vie. However apologies for being snide about Rena's achievements, she's obviously a legend in her own field and fair play to her
Careful now

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on June 14, 2022, 02:33:28 PM
I've been to a few Ladies matches at Club level but I've no interest to be honest. Perhaps it would be different if I had any daughters but I don't so c'est la vie. However apologies for being snide about Rena's achievements, she's obviously a legend in her own field and fair play to her

Be wee grand daughters someday, you will all round them like a rash a chara, hard yo beat the wee girls,stick by you too in later life, sons piss off to the mother in laws lol

seafoid

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 14, 2022, 01:19:57 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G31Tz-W3vDM
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 14, 2022, 02:31:05 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 14, 2022, 10:11:13 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 14, 2022, 09:52:38 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 14, 2022, 09:28:30 AM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 14, 2022, 09:02:59 AM
I think we are looking for different things, I'm looking for someone who can better explain the how and why of what is happening in the match happening right now, that's analysis to me.
Someone who has experienced the big day themselves can tell us of the pressure the players are under, ok great, what does that give me when I want to know why one teams LHB is doing wreck on the pitch, how a previously dominant midfielder is being bypassed, how the HF line off camera are taking turns in dropping back cutting off that ball over the top of the HB line. Does that all come back to knowing what is like to be able to carry the weight of a county? For me it certainly doesn't, being able to tell me how men representing their county on the biggest day are under pressure is a level of insight from their own experience obviously, how many times do we need to be told that though really?

Colm O'Rourke and Pat Spillane can tell us all about being there on the big day, they offer nothing in terms of insight bar clichés and platitudes at this stage but as I said, we seem to be looking for very different things here.

Ignore them lad, you made your point well. Maith Thú

So I'll go back to my point earlier, why are there no men regularly commentating on ladies football or holding the presenters job? good for the goose and all that..

Thery always are, TG4. Why are men managing them when they have never played ? They don't know what it's like to have a period or rear wains lol. Dead duck debate

Its disproportionately women doing women games, as for men managing ladies teams that's down to the clubs/counties this debate is on the Sunday game.

I think we all rear wains and deal with partner's having periods tbh ;)

That was my response to the comments from others that you cant do commentary on mens sports if you havent played mens sport. It was in jest to make that argument stand out as illogical as it is.