The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ludermor

Quote from: WT4E on August 07, 2016, 11:52:34 PM
Yeah great player - wish we had him on Tyrone team minus all the bullshit he brings!
Yeah he would be really out of place on team of such paragons of virtue!

BennyHarp

Quote from: laoislad on August 08, 2016, 08:39:52 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 08, 2016, 08:35:17 AM
Quote from: laoislad on August 08, 2016, 08:33:47 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 08, 2016, 08:30:19 AM
Quote from: laoislad on August 08, 2016, 08:12:25 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 07, 2016, 11:47:26 PM
Quote from: WT4E on August 07, 2016, 11:11:31 PM
Yeah that plus other stuff!

Diving to beat Fermanagh
Getting last years manager the sack
Trying to get Cavanagh sent off when it was slightly missed timed tackle
milking the media after the game for pics etc.

Enjoying this! :)

Are the tymoanies a bit bitter........... ;D
I was delighted to see the smug fcukers beaten.

It's a tad depressing when your own county is so irrelevant that the only delight you can gain from the GAA is in the defeat of another county.
I don't lose any sleep over it.

But you are "delighted". Enjoy your big moment!
I don't lose any sleep over Laois being shite.
I'm delighted ye smug pricks were beaten.
Simples.
If ye were playing Dublin I'd probably have wanted ye to win though  ;D
Have a nice day.

I usually only get "delighted" about my own team winning, but I suppose different strokes for different folks. I hope you enjoyed your big weekend.
That was never a square ball!!

AZOffaly

What was the story with that full back? He looked like he could be a decent footballer, but every time he did *anything* of note, or more often if Aidan O'Shea made a mistake, he was going buck mad roaring and shouting and sneering. It was like he was trying to channel Ricey, but wasn't half as good at it. Who is he?

laoislad

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 08, 2016, 09:23:57 AM
Quote from: laoislad on August 08, 2016, 08:39:52 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 08, 2016, 08:35:17 AM
Quote from: laoislad on August 08, 2016, 08:33:47 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 08, 2016, 08:30:19 AM
Quote from: laoislad on August 08, 2016, 08:12:25 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 07, 2016, 11:47:26 PM
Quote from: WT4E on August 07, 2016, 11:11:31 PM
Yeah that plus other stuff!

Diving to beat Fermanagh
Getting last years manager the sack
Trying to get Cavanagh sent off when it was slightly missed timed tackle
milking the media after the game for pics etc.

Enjoying this! :)

Are the tymoanies a bit bitter........... ;D
I was delighted to see the smug fcukers beaten.

It's a tad depressing when your own county is so irrelevant that the only delight you can gain from the GAA is in the defeat of another county.
I don't lose any sleep over it.

But you are "delighted". Enjoy your big moment!
I don't lose any sleep over Laois being shite.
I'm delighted ye smug pricks were beaten.
Simples.
If ye were playing Dublin I'd probably have wanted ye to win though  ;D
Have a nice day.

I usually only get "delighted" about my own team winning, but I suppose different strokes for different folks. I hope you enjoyed your big weekend.
I had a lovely weekend thanks.
How was yours?

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: highorlow on August 08, 2016, 08:33:19 AM
On a more serious note why should O'Gara's red be rescinded?

It was a striking action.
It was a s soft a red card as you will see.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

AZOffaly

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on August 08, 2016, 09:35:30 AM

It was a s soft a red card as you will see.

It was very soft, but it was a strike. We had this before. If you are sent off for striking (i.e. if the ref thinks it merited a red card) and you did strike, even with open hand, it's going to be hard to overturn.

yellowcard

It was clearly an incorrect decision, I'll bet O'Gara now wishes he had actually followed through as he would have got the exact same outcome. Then you see Michael Murphy's incident where he actually made heavy contact with the side of an opponents head and you scratch your head at the inconsistency. 

AZOffaly

Murphy should have been red. It was dangerous, reckless and closed fist.

O'Gara's was very soft, by by the rules he 'struck', so I can't see it being overturned.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 08, 2016, 10:02:16 AM

O'Gara's was very soft, by by the rules he 'struck', so I can't see it being overturned.
Like Connollys a few years ago?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

rosnarun

surely even the word strike indicates some Violent intention , unless he was stroking Tiarnan McCanns hair O'Gara action would not have hurt a fly .
other wise every time a player put his hand on another players back it would be a red card as the rules do not specify any part of the body either. not to mention all the pushing that goes on in schemozzles .
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

AZOffaly

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on August 08, 2016, 10:04:06 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 08, 2016, 10:02:16 AM

Like Connollys a few years ago?

Exactly. Except that was overturned because he 'didn't have time to prepare his defence' if I recall correctly. Not because it wasn't a strike.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: yellowcard on August 08, 2016, 09:57:54 AM

It was clearly an incorrect decision, I'll bet O'Gara now wishes he had actually followed through as he would have got the exact same outcome. Then you see Michael Murphy's incident where he actually made heavy contact with the side of an opponents head and you scratch your head at the inconsistency.
Unfortunately it wasn't according to the rules. It was similar to Lee Keegan's petulant stab at Johnny Buckley in the drawn semifinal in 2014. According to Cian O'Neill afterwards, he had told Kerry to hassle Keegan in order to make him lose the cool and Buckley succeeded in doing this. It was rough justice but, going by he rules, he had to go even though no physical contact had been made.
In O'Gara's case, the player was in hard luck as the contact was minimal and he had been pulled and dragged before striking out. (Pity he didn't give his man a good kick up the hole as the result would have been the same.)
Harsh decision but technically a correct one.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

omagh_gael

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 08, 2016, 09:27:42 AM
What was the story with that full back? He looked like he could be a decent footballer, but every time he did *anything* of note, or more often if Aidan O'Shea made a mistake, he was going buck mad roaring and shouting and sneering. It was like he was trying to channel Ricey, but wasn't half as good at it. Who is he?

Ronan McNamee is a good footballer and can play a good bit when further up the field. It's a pity our full back line (outside of Aiden McCrory) don't let their football do the talking after winning a duel rather than a gutteral roar in the opponents face. Wish that shite was cut out.

longballin

McNamees behaviour only embarrassed himself

rosnarun

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 08, 2016, 10:20:07 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 08, 2016, 09:57:54 AM

Unfortunately it wasn't according to the rules. It was similar to Lee Keegan's petulant stab at Johnny Buckley in the drawn semifinal in 2014. According to Cian O'Neill afterwards, he had told Kerry to hassle Keegan in order to make him lose the cool and Buckley succeeded in doing this. It was rough justice but, going by he rules, he had to go even though no physical contact had been made.
In O'Gara's case, the player was in hard luck as the contact was minimal and he had been pulled and dragged before striking out. (Pity he didn't give his man a good kick up the hole as the result would have been the same.)
Harsh decision but technically a correct one.

I really cant agree that it technically a correct one , other wise all contact would come into the same category and with out getting all Frank murphy these are Dictionary definitions of Strike
iCant really see where o garas action are defined here .
Though it would be cool to be sanctioned for smiting

1. to deal a blow or stroke to (a person or thing), as with the fist, a weapon, or a hammer; hit.
2. to inflict, deliver, or deal (a blow, stroke, attack, etc.).
3. to drive so as to cause impact: to strike the hands together.
4. to thrust forcibly:
Brutus struck a dagger into the dying Caesar.
5. to produce (fire, sparks, light, etc.) by percussion, friction, etc.
6. to cause (a match) to ignite by friction.

7. (of some natural or supernatural agency) to smite or blast: 
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere