The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asal Mor

Quote from: LilySavage on May 23, 2016, 11:20:46 PM
You can see a commentators yrue worth when the games are poor and they were pigs of games this weekend for a variety of reasons. Weather, mismayches, negative tactics etc. For me Ger Canning is a fraud who has been slowly winding down to retirement for past yen odd years. The problem is we have to endure this guys dogshit commentary until he gets the punchy RTE pension. When he presents greyhound racing, he looks and sounds about 15 years younger. Get rid. Also the analyis is shoddy. T O Se adds little by way of post natch analysis in contrast to his big brother. Ciaran Whelan is excellent but show in general poor. Martin Carney used bug me as well but at least hes interested in what hes commentating on. And Darragh Moloney was brought up to Derry to srand on the line so to speak..nonsense. He should be on whenever available. Interestly in doc. about AI final last year, he stated that he bought all the papers the weekend before games and scoured for the lesser known facts about players as he saw it his duty to  inform the viewership. Canning the chancer can barely be arsed going to the games it seems.
Fair play to Maloney. That's what's needed.

blewuporstuffed

Darragh Maloney is the best commentator by a country mile
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Croí na hÉireann

Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Jinxy

A good starting point for a commentator is to give you the impression that if they weren't being paid to be there, they'd be there watching anyway.
I get that from Maloney.
I don't get it from Canning.
I get it from Marty as well to be fair, although I wouldn't want to be sitting beside him.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Beffs

Quote from: Jinxy on May 24, 2016, 10:52:29 AM
A good starting point for a commentator is to give you the impression that if they weren't being paid to be there, they'd be there watching anyway.
I get that from Maloney.
I don't get it from Canning.
I get it from Marty as well to be fair, although I wouldn't want to be sitting beside him.

That's a great point. Canning often sounds bored to even be there, regardless of who is playing, the score or the over all quality of the game. I'd love to see the rugby pundit Corcoran take a stab at doing GAA games. He's gets so into it all, you'd be worried he is going to have a heart attack sometimes.

Carney & Brian Carthy, between them, must have video evidence of the Director Generals in RTE (all of them) engaged in some sort of Silence of the Lambs ritualistic serial killing. It's the own thing that can explain their not being put out to pasture 20 years ago. Its one thing having them on from May-August, when there may be several games on, on the one day & resources are stretched. But giving Carney the All Ireland final, year in, year out....Jesus Christ like !

AZOffaly

I've softened on Brian Carthy on the radio in fairness. His voice seems synonymous with it at this stage. I still hate the way he goes 'A sideline to Cork, and Cork have the sideline'. And he rarely gives the scores either.

Canning is just a gowl.

Canalman

I like Martin Carney co commentating. In fairness to him he easily passes the test that he would be at the game if he wasn't working there. Very obvious he loves the game and that is enough for me.

Have to say I love it when he points out that there "was no malice in it" when some player is getting to his feet groggily after getting flattened.

Jinxy

Quote from: Canalman on May 24, 2016, 03:06:31 PM
I like Martin Carney co commentating. In fairness to him he easily passes the test that he would be at the game if he wasn't working there. Very obvious he loves the game and that is enough for me.

Have to say I love it when he points out that there "was no malice in it" when some player is getting to his feet groggily after getting flattened.

Here's another commentator that 'loves the game'.  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZKOsxkzvjA

3:26 cracks me up every time.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

Eddie really *does* love the game. He's a woeful Tipp football man.

I'd love to see this documentary :) I know his brother Pat, and his son Anthony. Sound men.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqCq_S3lmWA

muppet

I am biased obviously being from Mayo, but I like Carney as well. He certainly passes any test regarding whether he would be at the game anyway or not.

Regarding Maloney, I like him but surely reading the Sunday papers to see what facts other hacks have dug up is the least he could do? MOM travelled the country in the winter, meeting lads at anything from junior 'B' games up. That is where he got the stories. I remember him showing up unannounced at school training once, the intensity instantly went through the roof and even goal-shy lads were shooting from everywhere. The only story he got that day was that he didn't need to worry about collecting any stories about us.

One way of looking at the modern commentators is that to be fair to them, we were completely spoiled, first with O'Hehir, a consulate profession who created the genre, and then MOM, who was the fans commentator. Just listening to him on the radio increased the heart-rate no matter what the match. We knew it would be impossible to replace the latter.
MWWSI 2017

blewuporstuffed

I love this piece of commentary from Maloney, and to be fair, Carney was pretty good too

'Christie out of the game, they must work a score form this.....'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3G1bwD0ao0
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Jinxy on May 24, 2016, 03:07:47 PM

I wouldnt be a fan of Mark Sidebottom, but he certainly meets the criteria for loving the game.
This never fails to make me smile, from about 1 minute in, he really goes into overdrive

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/northern-ireland/21410113

Itchy

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on May 24, 2016, 04:17:06 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on May 24, 2016, 03:07:47 PM

I wouldnt be a fan of Mark Sidebottom, but he certainly meets the criteria for loving the game.
This never fails to make me smile, from about 1 minute in, he really goes into overdrive

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/northern-ireland/21410113

Great passion. It was so lively it would wake Ger Canning up!

Minder

I have said before, regardless of what you think of Sidebottoms ability as a commentator, he is a big fan of football and hurling. He played hurling for our club from underage to senior and was pretty handy.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Rossfan

And he doesn't wear a poppy on screen
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM