The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on September 06, 2015, 01:16:37 AM
Brolly pointed out Mayo were totally open at the back, hell didn't that come back to roost on Mayo, first 2 Dublin goals were flukes and very poor defending, 3rd goal too should have been prevented

;D ;D ;D

vallankumous

Had a laugh at Spillane. After every game he makes out the panel have been highlighting the issues all year. BS Pat, the panel see nothing coming and everyone sees it after the event.

lenny

Quote from: maigheo on September 06, 2015, 12:58:22 AM
First of all Brolly wants Mayo to push up hard on Dublins kick outs and then wants them all back when Dublin attack.I have never seen a worse analyst in my life and not to give Dublin any credit for todays finish is mind boggling.The first goal took an awful lot out of Mayo and when momentum is with a team they look a lot fitter than the opposition.

Totally agree with your first point. He is a complete bluffer, if he had experience of implementing a defensive strategy or managing a team I would give him some credibility. He is turning into the alan hansen of the sunday game ie every goal is the result of a poor defensive strategy. The ordinary fan at home doesn't want to hear that. They would like to see some credit given to the attacking players and some enthusiasm for attacking play.

stringbean

Why do we continue to put up with such sub standard analysis, if you can vote with your remote and switch to sky. Listening to Jim McGuiness thought process is fascinating, so obvious he's involved in the modern game!

Denn Forever

Are there that many people who want "analysis"?  You've watched the game.  I think of the RTE pundits during the game as 3 mates down the Pub argueing about the game.  On  the SG at night I'd prefer more coverage of the games rather than "Analysis".

Maybe it is a Generation thing.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

CiKe

Quote from: lenny on September 06, 2015, 07:25:32 AM
Quote from: maigheo on September 06, 2015, 12:58:22 AM
First of all Brolly wants Mayo to push up hard on Dublins kick outs and then wants them all back when Dublin attack.I have never seen a worse analyst in my life and not to give Dublin any credit for todays finish is mind boggling.The first goal took an awful lot out of Mayo and when momentum is with a team they look a lot fitter than the opposition.

Totally agree with your first point. He is a complete bluffer, if he had experience of implementing a defensive strategy or managing a team I would give him some credibility. He is turning into the alan hansen of the sunday game ie every goal is the result of a poor defensive strategy. The ordinary fan at home doesn't want to hear that. They would like to see some credit given to the attacking players and some enthusiasm for attacking play.

I've no management experience but you don't need management experience to see that those first two goals at least were preventable and while understandable that defence was more stretched for the third goal I thought the keeper should have stopped it - he almost seemed to dive out of the way.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Denn Forever on September 06, 2015, 11:17:40 AM
Are there that many people who want "analysis"?  You've watched the game.  I think of the RTE pundits during the game as 3 mates down the Pub argueing about the game.  On  the SG at night I'd prefer more coverage of the games rather than "Analysis".

Yes, that's true but the analysis is a big part of the coverage and is hard to ignore if you are sitting down to watch a match. As such, I'd prefer if it was decent rather than just 3 men chatting in a pub!
That was never a square ball!!

imtommygunn

Quote from: Denn Forever on September 06, 2015, 11:17:40 AM

Yeah I would agree. It's become more about the guys on it than the games. Sometimes you tune in for games you've missed and you'd be lucky if the highlights showed about 50% of the scores.

At half time they have to talk fair enough but not on the evening show.

armaghniac

An alternate view is that nowadays anyone can watch the entire game later on if they wish, on the playback, so showing a lot of highlights isn't necessarily what people want. Good analysis would be of some use and the evening analysis is better than the live version.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

imtommygunn

It's definitely better - mainly due to Brolly and Spillane not being there.

longballin

It's got to the stage no matter what Sunday Game football panel say they will get hammered. If you get the name for rising early etc. Brolly called it 100% right at half time on Saturday. Could see no problem with the analysis...

Hardy

They've started AIF day by rubbishing the game and the championship. No matter what problems we perceive, this is not the day for that.

Syferus

Quote from: Hardy on September 20, 2015, 02:23:36 PM
They've started AIF day by rubbishing the game and the championship. No matter what problems we perceive, this is not the day for that.

In fairness this is the best day for it. Biggest audience. Until people wake up the sad fact is most of what Broly and O'Rourke said is very relevant.

A professional final in an amateur sport.

seafoid

Quote from: Hardy on September 20, 2015, 02:23:36 PM
But it was a poor championship...

Leinster is a mess. Only Ulster is competitive.
and the same teams share Sam.Except Mayo..
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

From the Bunker

Martin Carney...........Why?